Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Scares Me About This Season is the Off-Season

dposton

So, let's say the Redskins go anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4. They get to the NFC Championship game and lose to the Giants or Tampa Bay. In the offseason, Albert Haynesworth, Terrell Suggs, Nnamdi Asomugha, Lito Shepherd to name a few will be available.

The question is, with Joe Gibbs gone and never having seen Jim Zorn in free agency before.......

Can Danny and Vinny Resist?

I would take Asomugha to go with Carlos next year. If Carlos continues an Nnamdi remains the same, it will be lights out for opposing quarterbacks in our secondary. Imagine, Nnamdi, Carlos, LaRon and Horton. Sounds pretty good.

The others mentioned could possible destroy the chemistry. Or maybe, Zorn can blend them in, in a way that none of our previous coaches could.

Is any of this possible?

I don't mind them going after Free agents because there are great players out there that could really help the team. I think people are scared of the over paying and bringing the Brandon Lloyds and the Archies that were horrible picks.

How would this team be without Fletch, Moss, Griff, Washington, Springs, etc...

It depends on how is picking the talent.

I wouldn't say that you should fear the off season, what I would fear is the person who picks the talent.

10-6 and 12-4 makes a big difference goin into the playoffs. You could be talkin about the diff between a wild card and a division winner. This could mean the diff between playin on the road and homefield. So to jus assume that we lose in the championship game is really pessimistic on ur part. And as for the off season, i think Vinny and Co will kno what to do. IMO they did a better job this year than they hav in recent years and they really didnt do much trading and "attacking of the market". So i think they understand that all they hav to do is plug in a piece or two to the whole puzzle (in whatevr position is NEEDED) instead of trying to change too much and end up messing up sumthin good. They seem to hav the concept that continuity builds stronger chemistry which is a big key to success.

The only move I would look to make is to get Nnamdi to replace Springs. For what were paying Springs, the guy can barely hold up anymore. The only problem is I wouldnt want to pay Nnamdi "Nate Clements" type of money, and Im sure thats what he'll be expecting. Here would be my "in a perfect world" offseason plan...

FREE AGENCY

1. Replace Springs with Nnamdi (if the money was right)

DRAFT

R1 Trade down for two 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick (someone might be desperate)

R2 Belongs to Miami

R2 DL

R2 LB

R3 OL

R4 OL

R5 BPA

R6 BPA

R7 BPA

The only move I would look to make is to get Nnamdi to replace Springs. For what were paying Springs, the guy can barely hold up anymore. The only problem is I wouldnt want to pay Nnamdi "Nate Clements" type of money, and Im sure thats what he'll be expecting. Here would be my "in a perfect world" offseason plan...

FREE AGENCY

1. Replace Springs with Nnamdi (if the money was right)

DRAFT

R1 Trade down for two 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick (someone might be desperate)

R2 Belongs to Miami

R2 DL

R2 LB

R3 OL

R4 OL

R5 BPA

R6 BPA

R7 BPA

its going to be hard enough to find a team to trade us two 2nd round picks let alone two 2nd and a 3rd...thats just wishful thinking...if anything we can maybe grab a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd and a 4th.

its going to be hard enough to find a team to trade us two 2nd round picks let alone two 2nd and a 3rd...thats just wishful thinking...if anything we can maybe grab a 2nd and a 3rd or a 2nd and a 4th.

Yes, I realize this. Thats why I wrote "someone might be desperate" and "living in a perfect world". One thing I learned after watching and following the 2008 draft is... you never know how it will fall into place. Some of the bottom dwelling teams have shown signs of desperation and are willing to give up alot for another 1st round choice. There may or may not be a team out there with two 2nd round picks right now, but there were so many trades last year so you never know.

I think this is a little early for all this prognostication. I like it, but it's a bit early. :)

Here's the deal: IF the OP's scenario runs true, the 'Skins #1 draft pick will be between #27-#32. That's well outside of the "certain blue chip" draft area. Also remember that EACH of the picks in the rounds would be the same. (btw, hindsight, trading the ~#60th overall pick for Jason Taylor would be a complete steal.)

I am not sure what kind of trade down you're going to get. Trading up to #21 (like last year) is one thing. IF they finish 11-5, trading down to the second round for 2 #2's seems unlikely, just because of the value of the picks.

We need a CB and LB this offseason point blank. If that comes from FA or draft then so be it. Honestly id only be targeting Nnamdi. The others are hit or miss. The emergence of Chris Horton just cut Springs time with us dramatically. His move to safety is probably a moot point now. Taking Nnamdi in FA and the best OLB left in round one would be a the best option to me. From there out id take OL and DL all day long. I dont think we can sit back and watch FA this offseason like last years. Just because going after big name FA's didnt work in the past doesnt mean you give up on it. Look at NE. They were a dynasty and went after Randy Moss and look what he did for them. Sure they didn't win the SB but id kill to see our skins dominate week in and week out like they did last year. The reason they didn't win the SB was because of their ego. We dont have that. So i believe the results would be different. :2cents:

It's never too early to think about the future. However we won't truly know what we need and lack until the season is over, hopefully it won't be until February.

We have needs but IMHO they can and should be addressed through the draft. Yes we could target guys like Asomugha (sp?) but the top FAs will command big contracts with most of it up front. We have the guys or as I like to call them, building blocks to build around so adding big FAs just seems like a waste. We have the veteran leadership needed to succeed now we just need to continue adding pieces around through the draft like Horton, Rogers, Heyer, Rocky, LL, and Devin Thomas. I think Cerrato is finally realizing this now. Unfortunately he Cowboys are anticipating an NFL without a cap and are spending big $$$ and this could lead to us throwing around a lot of dough. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

We need a CB and LB this offseason point blank. If that comes from FA or draft then so be it. Honestly id only be targeting Nnamdi. The others are hit or miss. The emergence of Chris Horton just cut Springs time with us dramatically. His move to safety is probably a moot point now. Taking Nnamdi in FA and the best OLB left in round one would be a the best option to me. From there out id take OL and DL all day long. I dont think we can sit back and watch FA this offseason like last years. Just because going after big name FA's didnt work in the past doesnt mean you give up on it. Look at NE. They were a dynasty and went after Randy Moss and look what he did for them. Sure they didn't win the SB but id kill to see our skins dominate week in and week out like they did last year. The reason they didn't win the SB was because of their ego. We dont have that. So i believe the results would be different. :2cents:

Someone buy this man a beer! :cheers:

I agree with everything here.

So, let's say the Redskins go anywhere from 10-6 to 12-4. They get to the NFC Championship game and lose to the Giants or Tampa Bay. In the offseason, Albert Haynesworth, Terrell Suggs, Nnamdi Asomugha, Lito Shepherd to name a few will be available.

The question is, with Joe Gibbs gone and never having seen Jim Zorn in free agency before.......

Can Danny and Vinny Resist?

I would take Asomugha to go with Carlos next year. If Carlos continues an Nnamdi remains the same, it will be lights out for opposing quarterbacks in our secondary. Imagine, Nnamdi, Carlos, LaRon and Horton. Sounds pretty good.

The others mentioned could possible destroy the chemistry. Or maybe, Zorn can blend them in, in a way that none of our previous coaches could.

Is any of this possible?

Why are you so worried about the offseason and selling us short of the Superbowl. I do not believe any team in the NFC can beat us if we play up to our potential, so we can go to the superbowl.

Archived