Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Two Dallas things that jumped out in the film room

bubba9497

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=abbott_henry&id=3653767

Click link for entire article

Twenty things that jumped out in the film room

• The Cowboys' offensive line seems to be regressing and they are not playing up to their (overrated) talent level. QB Brad Johnson was sacked three times and under pressure another 11. The communication on the line was iffy last week and they didn't pick up stunts or blitzes. Plus, they looked slow -- especially on the edges -- and were beaten by the Rams' four-man rush.

• Dallas seems to have little confidence in its secondary. The Cowboys are playing a lot of off-schemes and they are letting receivers get an easy release off the line of scrimmage. Plus, the underneath passing game has been wide open.

• The Cowboys' offensive line seems to be regressing and they are not playing up to their (overrated) talent level. QB Brad Johnson was sacked three times and under pressure another 11. The communication on the line was iffy last week and they didn't pick up stunts or blitzes. Plus, they looked slow -- especially on the edges -- and were beaten by the Rams' four-man rush.

I've said it time and time again Tony Romo sits to pee's greatest attribute is his ability to step up in the pocket and avoid the rush while maintaining his concentration downfield. After watching Matt Cassell last night I kept thinking that there was no way that Tom Brady would have taken all those sacks because he's great at it too. Dallas' line has been exposed for what it is and that's not very good. It's not a great shock that they stunk when Bledsoe was under center and they stink again with Johnson who isn't as bad as Bledsoe was at avoiding the rush. Pro Bowlers my ass.

I think its time to give Romo sits to pee some credit guys.

This team is absolutely terrible without him. 7-9 or 8-8 at their very BEST without Romo sits to pee (some would try to argue that WITH him, though :doh:).

He carries their O. His ability to make quick scores hides some deficiencies in their D, too.

:2cents:

This team is absolutely terrible without him. 7-9 or 8-8 at their very BEST without Romo sits to pee (some would try to argue that WITH him, though :doh:).

He carries their O. His ability to make quick scores hides some deficiencies in their D, too.

Ah, another QB Theory Convert... :D

Bro...without Romo sits to pee, the pukes would be 5-11 6-10. Somewhere around there. With him, this year, 10-6 or 9-7. They are THAT weak on D. Even before their injuries.

I've been giving him credit for two years now. I drafted him fairly early in my fantasy draft last year and got mocked for it. Needless to say I got plenty of trade offers from some of the mockers. He does have his warts however. Part of what makes him very good also is a problem for him. He is a risk taker and it comes back to bite him quite a bit. That and he not exactly money in the last minute of playoff games. :)

Brad Johsson is a below average QB. A lot of teams would look like crap if he were starting for them. The Giants would probably be 2-4 or 3-3 right now with him at the helm.

Brad Johsson is a below average QB. A lot of teams would look like crap if he were starting for them. The Giants would probably be 2-4 or 3-3 right now with him at the helm.

Not true. Teams that are built around elite QB play will suffer greatly with a QB like Johnson. Most teams don't have that luxury, though. For instance, I don't think the Redskins or Giants would nosedive substantially should Johnson be behind center.

Heck, teams like the Vikings, Chiefs, Raiders, etc., may actually improve with Johnson taking snaps. :laugh:

not for nothing, but i reluctantly watched that game over again, and that D had no idea when the Rams went unbalanced. They would get into thier offensive set:

(T)(G)©(G)(T)(T)

Dallas had no shift in place and dint even realize that they were unbalanced, they played it like a normal 5 man front without a TE.

INEXCUSABLE for an NFL team to not know when an unbalanced line is in place.

not for nothing, but i reluctantly watched that game over again, and that D had no idea when the Rams went unbalanced. They would get into thier offensive set:

(T)(G)©(G)(T)(T)

Dallas had no shift in place and dint even realize that they were unbalanced, they played it like a normal 5 man front without a TE.

You guys suck..That is all

Not true. Teams that are built around elite QB play will suffer greatly with a QB like Johnson. Most teams don't have that luxury, though. For instance, I don't think the Redskins or Giants would nosedive substantially should Johnson be behind center.

Heck, teams like the Vikings, Chiefs, Raiders, etc., may actually improve with Johnson taking snaps. :laugh:

Brad Johnson had a 45.5 QBR with TO, Witten, and Roy Williams as his receivers against the freaking Rams. There aren't a lot of(if any) teams that can survive that level of poor QB play. It took Todd Collins playing out of his mind to salvage the Redskins season last year. Eli, while inconsistent, wins several games for the Giants every year. Outside of Tennesee and maybe the Patriots, I don't see how any team wins with Brad Johnson.

(T)(G)©(G)(T)(T)

EXCUSE me.....Now, I got myself confused and will have to go back and look at the horrid tape once again.....gee thanks.

I am positive they lined up unbalanced on the right and that Dallas did NOT recognize it pre-snap...matter of fact, the 50+ yard TD was off of an unbalanced or "heavy" set. A defense should recognize that and make proper adjustments, and they did not.

We would look like we did under Brunell.

Brad Johnson had a 45.5 QBR with TO, Witten, and Roy Williams as his receivers against the freaking Rams. There aren't a lot of(if any) teams that can survive that level of poor QB play. It took Todd Collins playing out of his mind to salvage the Redskins season last year. Eli, while inconsistent, wins several games for the Giants every year. Outside of Tennesee and maybe the Patriots, I don't see how any team wins with Brad Johnson.

I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying here, but I think the gist is that you disagree. The problem here is that teams that have built been built around superlative QB play will inevitably drop off more than those teams where QB play has not been as stellar. Dallas is a great example of this - Romo sits to pee masked OL pass blocking deficiencies on that team. You put a guy back there who can't evade the rush like Romo sits to pee, and the team suffers.

The Titans are a great example of a team that can survive with a QB like Johnson, because they never relied on great QB play for wins. The Patriots, OTOH, are a terrible example. They are doubtful to beat any quality team with a guy like Johnson (or Cassel, for that matter) because they have become so reliant on excellent QB play. We're seeing it this season. Don't let last night fool you.

We would look like we did under Brunell.

Probably a fair assessment. I didn't mean to convey that the Redskins would be just as good with Johnson as with Campbell, just that the team hasn't become reliant on excellent QB play for success. Teams like the Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, Saints, etc. need top notch QB play, as that is what is driving those teams. Really, it shocks me that those teams haven't invested more substantially in the backup QB position.

You have confused Romo sits to pee with being good because of how bad BJ sucks. Don't kid yourself.

Archived