Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Free Speech reduced, More Political Correctness during an Obama presidency?

88Comrade2000

Will free speech be reduced and will there be more political correctness during an Obama presidency?

I'm not sure about the first part. For those who like the right wing radio; that's gone once Obama is elected. I know he said wouldn't sign the Fairness Doctrine but will he really oppose his party? That will probably be the first thing awaiting him to sign on Jan. 20th.

I am more concerned about political correctness. We've already seen what has happened under Bush. You criticize anything about him or his policies and you are called Unpatriotic or UnAmerican.

Will we be allowed to criticize Obama and not be called racists? I could see restrictions being imposed on the internet.

Only political free speech will be stifled - it nearly happened during the 90's when Right Wing radio became so big. The Left were stunned and tried to blame the Oklahoma City bombing on Right Wing radio but it only got bigger after that.

The left just cant stand that the right loves to listen to the radio. I dont see what the big fuss is - most of those guys just preach to the choir, anyway.

Can you show me 1 thing that makes you think anyone will bring back the "Fairness Docturine?"

Those rumors started when a couple very liberal dems said it would be worth looking into it. Most of the party said not interested, Obama said not interested, and in the 2 years they have controlled the house, there has been nothing. No Bill, no statements, nothing in the platform, nothing.....

Yet, Repubs still bring it up based on what?

Can you show me 1 thing that makes you think anyone will bring back the "Fairness Docturine?"

Those rumors started when a couple very liberal dems said it would be worth looking into it. Most of the party said not interested, Obama said not interested, and in the 2 years they have controlled the house, there has been nothing. No Bill, no statements, nothing in the platform, nothing.....

Yet, Repubs still bring it up based on what?

Republicans bring it up because it motivates their base - regular listeners of Talk Radio.

prediction - In about 3 posts, someone is going to say that Nancy Pelosi plans to bring back the fairness doctrine. I'm going to ask for proof. They are going to cite a single far right reporter named John Gizzi (of Human Events Online) who said he heard her say that - even though no one else at that press conference heard anything. I will ask if there is anyone else but Gizzi. They will say that it is all over the Internet. I will ask them to check to see if any of the blog references on the internet have any proof - other than the claim by Gizzi. They will not respond.

Then in a couple of days, the same claim will be made in another thread. :silly:

For those who like the right wing radio; that's gone once Obama is elected

Yeahhh.......not. If anything, it will only be ratcheted up a notch or two. Obama's presidency will be like gasoline for their fire.

And the idea that Obama could or would suppress freedom of speech....:doh:

Seriously, where do people get this stuff?

prediction - In about 3 posts, someone is going to say that Nancy Pelosi plans to bring back the fairness doctrine.

"They're going to tell you that he has a funny name. They're going to tell you that he doesn't look like the other presidents on the dollar bill. Oh, and did I mention...he's black?"

You've mastered the new tactic. :cheers:

Will free speech be reduced and will there be more political correctness during an Obama presidency?

I'm not sure about the first part. For those who like the right wing radio; that's gone once Obama is elected. I know he said wouldn't sign the Fairness Doctrine but will he really oppose his party? That will probably be the first thing awaiting him to sign on Jan. 20th.

That's exactly what I expect to happen. Pelosi will initiate a vote on the fairness doctrine soon. Count on it.

I would be very surprised to find that certain viewpoints and philosophical ideologies would/will be decidedly repressed in one way or another under an Obama Administration. Either directly or indirectly I see an Obama Administration doing everything they think they can get away with in a covert manner to limit the access that Conservative, Capitalist, and Moralist individuals and groups have to media outlets and the like; or to force those outlets which do continue to air those viewpoints to provide counterpoints to them.

For example....

WTAG 580AM here in Worcester, MA has two decidedly Conservative radio shows on every day. Glenn Beck from 9am to noon and Rush Limbaugh from noon to 3pm. I see pressure being brought on the owner of WTAG to convert one of those time slots to a more Liberally minded host's show. Maybe not in terms of the actual "Fairness Doctrine" but maybe in terms of added taxes for stations that don't provide opportunites for counterpoint programming.

For example....

WTAG 580AM here in Worcester, MA has two decidedly Conservative radio shows on every day. Glenn Beck from 9am to noon and Rush Limbaugh from noon to 3pm. I see pressure being brought on the owner of WTAG to convert one of those time slots to a more Liberally minded host's show. Maybe not in terms of the actual "Fairness Doctrine" but maybe in terms of added taxes for stations that don't provide opportunites for counterpoint programming.

A landslide election of Obama would indeed put pressure on these stations to drop the :pooh: and look into higher-quality programming. This would be happening due to market forces.

A landslide election of Obama would indeed put pressure on these stations to drop the :pooh: and look into higher-quality programming. This would be happening due to market forces.

Only if you consider "political pressure" to be a market force. WTAG has had a lineup similar to, if not exactly like that for the entirety of the decade I've lived here in Central Massachusetts. Even before the Republicans retook the Presidency in 2000 that's been their format. They're also the largest and most lucrative non-sports-talk AM station in the central/western part of the state.

Only if you consider "political pressure" to be a market force. WTAG has had a lineup similar to, if not exactly like that for the entirety of the decade I've lived here in Central Massachusetts. Even before the Republicans retook the Presidency in 2000 that's been their format. They're also the largest and most lucrative non-sports-talk AM station in the central/western part of the state.

I cannot make any claims about any particular station, but I can certainly make an argument that elevation of the public discourse in America, which is likely to happen if Obama wins the presidency, will indeed lower demand for certain kinds of :pooh:.

"They're going to tell you that he has a funny name. They're going to tell you that he doesn't look like the other presidents on the dollar bill. Oh, and did I mention...he's black?"

You've mastered the new tactic. :cheers:

LOL. :cheers:

I made my prediction only because my scenario has already happened in Tailgate threads in the recent past.

I cannot make any claims about any particular station, but I can certainly make an argument that elevation of the public discourse in America, which is likely to happen if Obama wins the presidency, will indeed lower demand for certain kinds of :pooh:.

I am not as certain of that as you are by any stretch of the imagination, alexey. Personally I believe that an Obama presidency will energize the other side of the political spectrum, not diminish it. I think you'll see an INCREASE in the viewer/reader/listenership of Conservative media outlets rather than a reduction unless there is a governmental limitation placed on such outlets.

Archived