Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The biggest failure of the Bush administration

PeterMP

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

That's a hard one. I would say it was a failure due to stubborness and linear thinking. So, I guess that's cowboy mentality accross the board. If I had to absolutely pick one thing, I would pick a failure in the ability to assess and choose good people to fill their jobs: That would cover Rumsfield, Brown, Cheney, Wolfowitz, etc. He picked bad people and was too stubbornly loyal to them and they mislead him and the country.

I said "Lying to get us into Iraq" although I really don't feel like rehashing the futile debate over whether or not they lied. The bottom line is that thay started an unnecessary war and it wasn't the last resort. It did tremendous damage to our credibility, our reputation and our influence around the world. It will take decades to reverse that damage and reassert ourselves as the leaders of the free world. Worst of all, over 4000 of our troops are dead, 30,000 wounded, and it didn't have to happen. No economic crises can compare to that.

The biggest failure was not making us independent of foreign sources of energy. Even though I disagree with Al Gore; I have no doubt Al would've had a Kennedy moment and launched an "Apollo" type mission for energy independence.

Just think where would be now if we did. Gas prices would be cheap. Iraq would probably not have happened. Anyone think the old Russia would've risen like it has. Iran wouldn't be much of a thread. Hugo Chavez?

Technology innovations is what brought the rise of the United States in the 20th century; green technologies is what will keep us going this century and provide new sources of jobs as old industries die.

I do hope Obama at least does an Apollo style energy independence program.

Holy smokes that was harder than I thought. I think the one that should have been there was "Embracing the Neo-Con (PNAC) agenda" that one wraps up a few of the others within its umbrella. I chose lying to get into Iraq, as its the biggest result of the PNAC influence, I'd follow it with these others.

Cowboy foreign policy

Rove philosophy

Using his Evangelicalism to garner votes and then ignoring the issues wraps up a couple others

I honestly don't blame Bush as much for Katrina as some do in that I see it as a disaster caused by the failure of city and state officials. Granted that the FEMA response was an utter disaster.

The desire to win 51% and only 51% of the vote has hurt us. Were we ever this divided as a country?

I remember when I didn't know my neighbors' party affiliation because it was such a small part of their thinking on any political issue. I miss that.

I think vast majority of these things were enabled by the "values" he brought in, which is lack or responsibility, accountability, oversight, and the culture of secrecy.

Biggest long-term damage will probably come as a result of his energy policy.

I would say his biggest failure was his innability to be true to his original campaign policies/promises (and basically shrugging that stuff off as 'politics') and treating his oath of office in the same fashion.

I don't know if he deliberately set out to abuse his integrity, or if others coaxed/forced him into it. Either way, his serious breach of integrity resulted in the remainder of those items listed in the poll (at least in my opinion), the most serious of which was his continual undermining of the Constitution.

I voted for the economic crisis as this was something that was forseen and then the response was poorly thought out.

I don't think he actually lied to get us into Iraq, but the it symbolized the collective 'group think' where dissenting voices are marginalized. The 'war' between the Pentagon and the State Department should not have been tolerated and it led to a very poorly conceived strategy for military and diplomatic action. That was a huge failure of leadership.

How about "All of the above" or not being a good President. His entire presidency has been a failure and the civilized world pretty hates America. Good work.

I think that's right. I think Bush's biggest failure is the totality of his administation leaves the Presidency and the country deminished in the eyes of the people and the eyes of the world.

Lieing, Corruption, and Incompetence are his legacy and those are the recurring themes to all of the problems mentioned in the list.. All of the above is the correct answer.

I had to go with rushing into Iraq - even though I think that fair arguments may be made on both sides as to whether anyone "lied" in the strict sense.

Blatant cronyism, ideological litmus tests and endless tolerence of incompetence by subordinates would also be high on my list.

Archived