Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sex offenders in Maryland must post sign- "No candy at this residence,"

DeanCollins

1_61_c320.jpg The Washington Times

This sign was recently mailed to registered sex offenders in Maryland to warn children and families on Halloween.

ANNAPOLIS — Sex offenders in Maryland have begun receiving paper signs in the mail that read "No candy at this residence," which they must post on their front doors or possibly face a parole violation.

The signs began arriving last week in the mailboxes of the about 1,200 violent and child-sex offenders across Maryland. The signs were accompanied by a letter explaining they must stay at home, turn off outside lights and not answer the door on Halloween.

Maryland is also distributing pamphlets statewide to warn families to stay away from homes with the pumpkin signs.

"Halloween provides a rare opportunity for you to demonstrate to your neighbors that you are making a sincere effort to change the direction of your life," the letter to sex offenders reads.

"Because Halloween is a holiday in which large numbers of children interact with strangers, the concern among parents and other community members about sexual offenders in their neighborhoods is naturally intensified during this time of year," Patrick McGee, interim director of the state's Division of Parole and Probation, wrote in the Oct. 1 letter.

Maryland, which began the program in 2005, is among a number of states placing Halloween restrictions on sex offenders. Maryland's regulations are almost identical to those adopted in Missouri, where four convicted sex offenders and the American Civil Liberties Union are challenging the state law in federal court.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,438725,00.html

hell, why not add "Sex Offender Lives Here" to the sign?

Good idea with the "No Candy" signs, but why are sex offenders not in prison? If you rape or molest a child it should be a life sentence or a death sentence, but I've never understood why they are let back into society.

There are different levels of sex offenders..

Remember awhile back where someone could have gotten on the SO list for a public urination charge?

What about the 18 year olds who have 16 year old gf's then the dad reports them to the cop?

I don't think ALL people on the SO list should be in jail for life... But I do agree that if you touch a KID, you should be...

There are different levels of sex offenders..

What about the 18 year olds who have 16 year old gf's then the dad reports them to the cop?

Yeah when I was 19 I dated a 17 year old ( two months shy of 18) and her Dad didn't like me very much. I was always waiting for him to use that to get back at me. :paranoid:

Personally, i hate this stuff. You either aren't safe enough to be on the streets and we should have you in jail, or you are safe, and should be treated as such. This halfway stuff is just cruelty to people who don't deserve it. (By definition, since if they deserve this, they should be in jail)

Personally, i hate this stuff. You either aren't safe enough to be on the streets and we should have you in jail, or you are safe, and should be treated as such. This halfway stuff is just cruelty to people who don't deserve it. (By definition, since if they deserve this, they should be in jail)

I agree with you, Ignatius. I think the justice system should be structured so that once you serve your time, you're completely free and clear (up to and including regaining the right to vote).

On the other hand, I think the reason why sex offenders are treated differently could be attributed to a number of factors. Labeling of non-violent offenders as sex offenders without any differentiation is one (the consenting teenagers, urinating in public). Putting sex offenders on probation due to prison overcrowding might be another reason. Sentencing guidelines for sexual offenses might be another reason they are out on the street quicker than most of us would think. :whoknows:

I'd be interested as to whether the number of true sex offenders is actually increasing year over year (and why that is occurring).

Good idea with the "No Candy" signs, but why are sex offenders not in prison? If you rape or molest a child it should be a life sentence or a death sentence, but I've never understood why they are let back into society.
Because not all sex offensers are rapists or disgusting pedophiles? :whoknows:

Seems a little stupid to me. Why do they have to stay at home with the lights off and not answer the door? What if they have a party to go to, or other plans that might take them out of town? If they have no food in the house, they can't go get any, nor can they call for delivery. How about pranksters that get the image from the interwebz, enlarge it and stick them on every house in the neighborhood?

Who and how many people will be hitting the streets to enforce that these signs are up? How much money is being spent on this program?

"Why do they have to stay at home with the lights off and not answer the door?"

b/c they've been found guilty of not being able to be trusted to do just that

"If they have no food in the house"

there are 364 other days for them to get all the food they want

"I think the justice system should be structured so that once you serve your time"

perhaps once you screw with a kid, "their time" isn't over yet and you (not you obviously) should consider that before-hand

"Who and how many people will be hitting the streets to enforce that these signs are up?"

Sex offenders are notorious for not updating their registration information. This program would allow for a simple drive-by check to verify compliance. If no placard displayed, a knock from the authorities would determine whether a perv's registration status was up to date. If so, move on. If not, start rounding the perv up. Pretty damn efficient too me.

ONE: BE WITH YOUR KIDS

Last year we had 600 half candy bars and gave out 2 at a time.

There were none left and we had to shut to door.

They literally bus them in here.

Predator down the street next to the playground. and one down to the right back 2 streets. Neither are kid ones... they are across 495 near the townhouses.

TWO: If they old enough to go without you in packs: its a non issue.

Archived