Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I hate the way the Redskins play the end of first halves

Burgold

They're so lacksadaisical! They waste so much darn time! Is Zorn and Campbell really that much against a hurry up drill. We have done this in at least three games where we put ourselves against the wall when we should have had much more time.

The Redskins are huddling with 1:15 on the clock! It's ridiculous. We also have gone passive on defense within the 2:00 zone.

It's great that we got into field goal range, but if we played more uptempo we could have threatened for a touchdown.

We need to work on our 2:00 offense. It's pacing is rancid.

Secondary rant. The end of second halves are an attempt to give me a heart attack, aren't they? I've been too loyal for too long. Don't make games interesting. Let me celebrate! Gosh darn it!

They're so lacksadaisical! They waste so much darn time! Is Zorn and Campbell really that much against a hurry up drill. We have done this in at least three games where we put ourselves against the wall when we should have had much more time.

The Redskins are huddling with 1:15 on the clock! It's ridiculous. We also have gone passive on defense within the 2:00 zone.

It's great that we got into field goal range, but if we played more uptempo we could have threatened for a touchdown.

We need to work on our 2:00 offense. It's pacing is rancid.

Secondary rant. The end of second halves are an attempt to give me a heart attack, aren't they? I've been too loyal for too long. Don't make games interesting. Let me celebrate! Gosh darn it!

True, we burned A LOT of time to end the first half.

Be glad we are winning, my gosh i took a peek in on the Dallas team forums omg those pukes are uh well puking!! They had or still do have a explosive caliber team that for what ever reason apathy rules the team and the fan base is out for wades head.. :D

The sentiment is so glum and nasty it reeking past the forum tab on the home page!

Of course i just smiled and and left the destruction.. So ya we could do better here or do better there but man oh man it could be sooooo much worse...

:dallasuck:eaglesuck:gaintsuck:cheers:

The only thing that's possibly worse is the way we play when nursing a lead at the end of the SECOND half!!!

Sure, it worked out for us and we got the win. Yay.

BUT.....as was the case at the end of the Cardinal game, we ran 3 straight up the middle when we had awesome starting field position and could have put the final nail in the coffin with even a field goal, forcing at least a TD for a win from the opposition. So "Gibbs-esq".

First......save the flames as I get that he relied on the defense, which played admirably all game to keep things in check, but when a FG can tie the game and force OT.......why not unleash the offense, carefully, as we did the entire game, and mount a drive and just finish off an opponent? Such conservative play nearly cost us the Dallas game (if the on-side kick is recovered, as it should have been.....game over), the Cardinals game and now this one.

I'm truly not trying to find something to pick on in the face of a win........because we dominated that game and I'm proud of the Skins. I just think Zorn needs to demonstrate a little more "killer instinct" at the end of games, similar to the way he does when going for fouth downs. That's not a perfect analogy, but hopefully you get the idea......

Be glad we are winning, my gosh i took a peek in on the Dallas team forums omg those pukes are uh well puking!!

LOL! You don't know me... I'm almost always positive, but I'm seeing a trend and it disturbs me. I think this is an area we have to work on. However, for this week, I am happy to be picking knits.

You dont want to make a turnover and you call plays that make not end up working. We were getting the ball back as well. We used up nearly all the time before half too

Of COURSE you don't want to turn the ball over.........that goes without saying! That said......the Skins have been pretty darn good at protecting the ball and I'd like to see him show the offensive unit he has confidence in them when it's time to put an opponent away. Why would you assume that a team who's protected the ball better than 95% of the league would turn it over in that situation? Roll Campbell out and have him look for Cooley (who's money) or Moss near the sidelines, just past the marker and GET THE FIRST DOWN for Pete's sake! You're telling me that's too risky? C'mon, this is a professional football team........if the pass isn't there JC is already out of the pocket and can chuck it into the stands if he had to. No harm, no foul.

Yeah, I was a little annoyed when they conceded the field goal to Dallas at the end of the first half. They played so incredibly soft. Now, if they played faster they would have had about thirty-forty seconds at the time of the sack and could have still be threatening for a touchdown.

We're better, but we need to work on this.

Seems many share my sentiments as it relates to the lack of "killer instinct" when closing out games.....

Not sure you are watching the Redskins games. There is no point in a "killer instinct" to closing out games when you are kneeling the last 2 minutes of most of your wins.

As for closing out the first half...that's a different story. The team just doesn't come alive until the 3rd or 4th quarter.

Relax dude.....your not the coach....for GOOD reason. Our current coach has us at 5-2.....sounds good to me..

ST i'm sure the OP has been on the sidelines before, watched tape, coached a 53 man roster, had 93K people around him screaming, and had to deal with NFL defenses ... so lay off okay? If the OP see's a problem with the 2 min offense, you better believe their is one.

There seems to be some hangover from Gibbs. Zorn's been praised for his agressiveness when the opportunity is there. I think he was more conservative the last couple of weeks, but I'm not seeing a lack of killer instinct.

With Gibbs we'd have a lead and then sit on it. Under Zorn, the 4th quarter has been the strongest.

I posted the exact same thing in the GDT. Zorn has been great don't get me wrong. But the one area that has been consistently weak is our two minute offense. The end of the first half was terrible. We easily could have put up seven. I mean we had all three timeouts left. I would love to see us put 7 up on the board and then get the ball back at half and put 7 more up. That is how you avoid these close games at the end.

2 minute drill is horrendous in my opinion. It seems like Zorn is not using his timeout correctly (waiting until 40-50 secs before he burns a timeout) which in the end always seems to leave to little time left on the clock. The team then seems to be rushing just to kick a darn field goal where if we had more seconds on the clock we could work the sidelines and middle of the field to score a TD.

I understand the logic of leaving no time for the opponent but the defense has been playing extremly well and if 20-40 seconds are left we should be able to hold the opposition to 0 points. I am always thankful for the win in the end but we need to start pushing these smaller teams around better and scoring more points. Pretty soon all of the lower tier teams are going to be confident playing against us thinking "The Redskins never put teams away so if we just keep it close..."

Maybe you should listen to Zorn's press conference yesterday. He explains why he runs so much time off the clock at the end of the half. Basically, he doesn't want to leave any time on the clock for the opponent to mount a drive.

Jason

I am clearly aware of this and I know this is why he does it. But IMHO this is trying to be TOO perfect. Just score the TD and if there is time left let your D do the job. I mean he left it in the D's hand at the end of the game.

Maybe you should listen to Zorn's press conference yesterday. He explains why he runs so much time off the clock at the end of the half. Basically, he doesn't want to leave any time on the clock for the opponent to mount a drive.

Jason

That's obviously the philosophy, but he seems to be taking it way too far.

We got the ball with 2:28 left, ran a play and let the clock run to the two-minute warning. That's good. 2nd down and a ton of time left, you should be thinking like that.

But then, Portis runs to the Cleve 40. I don't think anyone is suggesting spiking the ball or calling a T.O., but you can move with a little more urgency. It's not like the Browns are going to be stopping the clock or trying to set up a drive there with the clock rolling and the ball well into their territory. But we only get 2 more plays run before the clock gets down to 35 seconds. We could have moved a little quicker and left, say, 30 more seconds so we have a better shot at a TD without worrying about what little time and field position Cleveland's going to have left.

But then, Portis runs to the Cleve 40. I don't think anyone is suggesting spiking the ball or calling a T.O., but you can move with a little more urgency. It's not like the Browns are going to be stopping the clock or trying to set up a drive there with the clock rolling and the ball well into their territory. But we only get 2 more plays run before the clock gets down to 35 seconds. We could have moved a little quicker and left, say, 30 more seconds so we have a better shot at a TD without worrying about what little time and field position Cleveland's going to have left.

With three time outs, that's really an eternity. The only issue we had on that drive was Campbell tripping over his own feet and getting sacked. That is one case where being a little too cute could have cost us an opportunity to score. But, there was plenty of time to put it in for a score.

Jason

Archived