Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pressure the QB

MrMan978

If given a choice between containing the run and getting a few sacks in a game... give me the run stoppers. I would love more pressure, but I sure wouldn't trade our run-stopping d with philly's pass rushing d (sure they were tops in the league before we came to town but they've traditionally been soft against the run).

The key here of course, is to have a balanced dline that's just not comprised of all run stoppers(which is what Williams was saddled with) but to have a mix of both.

You would think that having both Carter and J.Taylor on the field together would put an end to our pass rush woes, but the few times this season they've been out there together, the result hasn't been exactly stellar. :2cents:

The key here of course, is to have a balanced dline that's just not comprised of all run stoppers(which is what Williams was saddled with) but to have a mix of both.

You would think that having both Carter and J.Taylor on the field together would put an end to our pass rush woes, but the few times this season they've been out there together, the result hasn't been exactly stellar. :2cents:

So very true, on both counts. I realized that my post sounded a bit one-sided... ideally I'd like good balance there - solid pressure and run stopping (well, ideally it would be lights out on both fronts ;)).

I'm just hoping that a healthy Taylor, assuming he's ever fully healthy, will help out quite a bit.

And if we keep WINNING who cares? Some people are never satisfied no matter what are they? :rolleyes:

p.s. your subject says pressure and then in your post you say sack, there is a difference between the 2 lol we are getting plenty of pressure, but like you said not getting alot of sacks, if we keep winning i dont care

Totally agree. The reason to your first question...because pressure is not the cool route. I think it's perspective...I would rather have a blue-collar, hard-nosed team that has constant pressure, rather than a couple extra sacks a game.
sacks in an overrated subject. We are getting good pressure, we just aren't getting to the QB quite quick enough
Agree with you as well. Some people think sacks are the end-all and be-all on defense. It's constant pressure that leads to interceptions, in my opinion.

it seemed the only way to beat the Pats last year, was though pressure and sacks from the front 4. all the best teams last year led the league in SACKS. Pressure only goes so far. Look at how many times Jason fumbled last year. Yard loss / lots of fumbles > possible interceptions. We drop most of those anyways.

Archived