Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pressure the QB

MrMan978

And if we keep WINNING who cares? Some people are never satisfied no matter what are they? :rolleyes:

p.s. your subject says pressure and then in your post you say sack, there is a difference between the 2 lol we are getting plenty of pressure, but like you said not getting alot of sacks, if we keep winning i dont care

Anyone know how we're ranked as far as qb pressures?

Btw, it seems to me our focus is more stopping the run and the deep passes (duh, i guess, nothing new there) and therefore teams tend to(or should tend to) throw the ball quicker since they aren't waiting for the deep stuff.

Of course, our secondary has also forced qbs to hold the ball longer at times so why aren't we getting more 'coverage sacks'?

Every good defense,throughout the history of the league, has put a premium on getting to the QB and putting him on his back......except when it comes to Redskins fans on ES who willing accept the pablum they're spoon fed by Gregg Williams and Greg Blache.

Both coaches HAD to downplay the importance of sacks because they knew they did not have the personnel along the defensive line to accomplish this goal.

The idea that sacks are not important in the scheme of pass defense is the most foolish premise I've ever seen espoused here on ES.

Sacks are drive killers. Why wouldn't a defense want to accomplish that goal?

Tell me what's better to defend ?

3rd and 4

OR

3rd and 14

You guys think our secondary is good? Imagine how great it would be if we could manage consistent pressure and sack production??

They'd be called the best lockdown secondary in the league by the pundits and most likely be an elite defense as a whole.

I hate that anyone say sacks are overated. BS. Anytime the QB doesn't throw the ball and gets positive yardage, it's a good thing. Now, a healthy balance of both is what makes a great defense work. Pressures and Sacks are both equally important. We get pressure, but we still lack sacks. Sacks ARE important.

Even setting aside the argument about the importance of sacks, I don't see how you can say we've really gotten good pressure. When you can count five and six mississippi while their QB is scanning the field, it's too much time. We're not forcing decisions.

Even setting aside the argument about the importance of sacks, I don't see how you can say we've really gotten good pressure. When you can count five and six mississippi while their QB is scanning the field, it's too much time. We're not forcing decisions.

Exactly. The Skins need to force QBs to throw before they're ready, throw under stress, etc....getting constant pressure, getting numerous hits and getting sacks is really the only way to accomplish that. I don't think we're getting enough of any of those thing, at least not consistently.

Every good defense,throughout the history of the league, has put a premium on getting to the QB and putting him on his back......except when it comes to Redskins fans on ES who willing accept the pablum they're spoon fed by Gregg Williams and Greg Blache.

Both coaches HAD to downplay the importance of sacks because they knew they did not have the personnel along the defensive line to accomplish this goal.

The idea that sacks are not important in the scheme of pass defense is the most foolish premise I've ever seen espoused here on ES.

3rd and 4

OR

3rd and 14

You guys think our secondary is good? Imagine how great it would be if we could manage consistent pressure and sack production??

They'd be called the best lockdown secondary in the league by the pundits and most likely be an elite defense as a whole.

Excellent post! :applause:

3rd and 4

OR

3rd and 14

Good post.

We aren't getting enough of a pass rush. Time for JT and AC to step up.

3rd and 4

OR

3rd and 14

I agree, pressure is good but actually hitting the QB gets into his mind and his perception and rhythm. We need hits on people!

sacks in an overrated subject. We are getting good pressure, we just aren't getting to the QB quite quick enough

disagree. sacks make a big difference. pressure results in a hurried play (i.e., timing disruption) or intentional throw aways. sacks result in loss of yardage.

The whole idea of "As long as we are winning, who cares if we don't get sacks?" makes no sense. Because "As long as we are winning" could depend on a few sacks a game. Does anyone wonder that last week we lost after giving up a significant amount of sacks for the first time all season?

The thing is, we might be getting by now without getting sacks because we have a very veteran linebacking core that plays smart and a very strong secondary. But I'll tell you, with two rookies sharing time at the second safety spot and the prospect of torrence being our number two corner this week, we are in for some trouble if we don't get sacks.

And don't even get me started on what some of the more intelligent coaches in the league could do to us. Even without Brady the Patriots could still move the ball on us well because they have the coaching to isolate our weaknesses and the offensive line to hold us away. Do you really think we could stop a team like the colts (Yes, they are sputtering and struggling very hard to return to their old form) but their offensive lin is one of the best in the league and I see no way that we can get to Peyton in time to disrupt his timing.

The fact of the matter is that you can squeek into the playoffs without sacks, but you better believe that if a team is in the playoffs, they are going to know just how to exploit your innability to rush their passer. Now, I DON'T think the sky is falling for us because like others have said, we do generate pressure so that is at least a start.

I know are defense has been playing good but why can't we sack the QB. We are always 2 seconds to late. We have a defense that can shut down anyteam but can't sack the QB, it's just odd to me.

Sacks are nice, but pressure is good too. This team has been getting pressure on the quarterback.

3rd and 4

OR

3rd and 14

I agree with most of your post (sacks are certainly important and its pretty ridiculous to think that they aren't), but... I still think sacks are overrated.

My impression of Blache/Williams' 'spoon fed pablum' was this - sacks are important, but as with most stats, they're not the most important thing.

If given a choice between containing the run and getting a few sacks in a game... give me the run stoppers. I would love more pressure, but I sure wouldn't trade our run-stopping d with philly's pass rushing d (sure they were tops in the league before we came to town but they've traditionally been soft against the run).

This works on offense as well... I'd rather be able to run it down someone's throat than pass the ball really well.

Of course, with this said I would love to get more pressures (particularly from the interior) and sacks... I mean who wouldn't?

Archived