Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever been fired or let go from a job ?

Mickalino

If you've ever been fired or let go, what do you tell any future or prospective employers about your reason for leaving the job ?

Do you say that you resigned, or that you were laid off, or do you butter up the reason the firing so it doesn't look so bad, or do you tell the exact truth ?

I have been, twice actually. One was because my employers expectations were simply too high. The other was a layoff due to a warehouse closing.

It can be hard to explain sometimes though, but usually you'll find out that it's better just to tell them the truth. Because chances are they already know the reason as they've contacted your previous employers. They wouldn't be talking to you if they didn't like what they heard, so now they just want to see if you give them the truth.

Because chances are they already know the reason as they've contacted your previous employers.

Doesn't the law prohibit employers from disclosing the reason for employees leaving ?

I thought they were only allowed to confirm that you worked there, the dates, and whether you were eligible for re-hire ?

Doesn't the law prohibit employers from disclosing the reason for employees leaving ?

I thought they were only allowed to confirm that you worked there, the dates, and whether you were eligible for re-hire ?

For liability reasons if they are smart they will not say any more.

I was in college and worked part time at a Wal-mart. Got a bunch of lip from a customer one day and laid into her. It was not a good day to be giving me crap. My department was actually a subcontractor for Wal-Mart (shoe dept- Yes I had an Al Bundy day) and me boss was off (Saturday) and the store manager on duty got the complaint and suggested I clock out. I did, then went to the front of the store and tossed by badge at her and said something smart to her. I was 21 and didn't care. Came in on Monday to talk with my boss and he said that I was basically fired and he wished I hadn't done that because he liked me as an employee. Eh, went to U-Haul where my roomate worked and got a better job with better hours and more pay. Told the boss at U-Haul that I was fired for a disagreement. He didn't care.

I was let go from a Radio Station I worked at.

The "new" General Manager (he had been there previously) had been brought back to help the sales department, but all he was interested in was getting back on the air. I was the new guy and the co-program directors thought I had a lot of potential and even talked about giving me more hours. (This part I heard about from a friend of mine after I was let go) This did not sit well with the G-M because he knew his hours would take the hit and told both program directors that I had to go...no reason really just I had to go...they faught for me...the G-M went over their heads to the owner and since she brought him in she sided with him.

I was let go the day before Thanksgiving..one of the Program Directors said it was, "Budgetary reasons." I took my last pay-check and my older brother (R-I-P) and I went out and got hammered.

There is a semi-happy ending because a month after I was let go the station was sold and everyone lost their jobs mainly because the G-M didn't work at all with the sales department and the owner was losing money quickly. One of the program directors had to be held back from punching the G-M. The way they heard about the sale was just brutal...I couldn't imagine being in the room when it happened.

The station has changed hands 7 times everyone associated with the station from when I was there has moved on and this was back in 1990 so I don't even mention it on my resume anymore.

I was let go from a Radio Station I worked at.

The "new" General Manager (he had been there previously) had been brought back to help the sales department, but all he was interested in was getting back on the air. I was the new guy and the co-program directors thought I had a lot of potential and even talked about giving me more hours. (This part I heard about from a friend of mine after I was let go) This did not sit well with the G-M because he knew his hours would take the hit and told both program directors that I had to go...no reason really just I had to go...they faught for me...the G-M went over their heads to the owner and since she brought him in she sided with him.

I was let go the day before Thanksgiving..one of the Program Directors said it was, "Budgetary reasons." I took my last pay-check and my older brother (R-I-P) and I went out and got hammered.

There is a semi-happy ending because a month after I was let go the station was sold and everyone lost their jobs mainly because the G-M didn't work at all with the sales department and the owner was losing money quickly. One of the program directors had to be held back from punching the G-M. The way they heard about the sale was just brutal...I couldn't imagine being in the room when it happened.

The station has changed hands 7 times everyone associated with the station from when I was there has moved on and this was back in 1990 so I don't even mention it on my resume anymore.

A guy in my office used to work radio (he definintely has the voice for it) and he was telling me one day that he was only fired once during his 14 years in radio, then he said "You're probably asking yourself, how could being fired even once be a good thing?" And he went on to tell me that being fired in radio is nothing out of the ordinary for people that make a career out of it.

A guy in my office used to work radio (he definintely has the voice for it) and he was telling me one day that he was only fired once during his 14 years in radio, then he said "You're probably asking yourself, how could being fired even once be a good thing?" And he went on to tell me that being fired in radio is nothing out of the ordinary for people that make a career out of it.

He speaks the truth...when I was still in college one of my professors was giving us one of those "facts of life" talks about the business and he said, "Be prepared for reality, and that is 3 out of 5 of you will be fired at least once from your job. The only thing harder than getting a job in this field is keeping it."

I'm in biotech and you kind of expect downsizing, resizing, buyouts, mergers, failures, etc. - it's volatile. I'm batting .500 having been laid off twice in four events. I haven't been fired for incompetence though.

Best bet is to be as honest as you can be without sharing anything so heinous it would damage your chances of being hired.

I was always terrified to admit to a prospective employer that I was fired from a previous job. My thinking was, that it was hard enough to get a job, without having a record of being fired due to all the competition (other people applying for the job that have never been fired), so if you admit that you were fired, I figured you would totally eliminate yourself from being considered.

Guest sith lord
Companies are not allowed to say you have been fired. When verifying employment, companies can only answer the dates of employment and if they would rehire you.

:2cents:

Then why on every job application it says "reason for leaving?" Just because they're not supposed to disguss why you were let go doesn't mean that they won't. Just tell the truth in your own words.

Then why on every job application it says "reason for leaving?" Just because they're not supposed to disguss why you were let go doesn't mean that they won't. Just tell the truth in your own words.

Maybe they're asking the applicant, because they know they can't get the info from the previous employer ?

Maybe they're asking the applicant, because they know they can't get the info from the previous employer ?

It's a legitimate question to ask. Why did you leave your last job? That tells a lot about a person.

If they were let go, admit to it and explain, chances are it won't matter, if you didn't hit the boss or steal something.

Many times, if a person is looking for work and their last employer said they would not rehire that person, it's all the sign they need.

But as far as references, you should always give the hiring company the main number so they can contact HR. HR will say the dates and yay or nay on the rehiring.

If you give out your old boss' number you are looking for problems. Never use an employer that fired you as a reference. Just have the hirer verify employment.

Are you sure?

That's the way it is in CT. Where I work, we are instructed to answer only those questions if we receive inquires about a former employee....did he work for you? what were the dates he worked for you? Those are the only two questions we are allowed to answer. If they ask if we would re-hire, we are instructed to transfer the call to human resources and they will give a simple yes or no answer and that's it...

I'm an attorney and I do a lot of employment work. The general rule is that companies are only allowed to verify dates of employment, salary and position. Anything beyond that opens them up to libel/ slander lawsuits. If you're asked why you left a job--use your best judgment. Keep in mind that gaps in your employment are going to be something that will draw attention. If you got fired, but you were going to quit anyway, why spill the beans? I had a job where I wrote a memo to HR describing the ineptitude of my bosses (which I cc'd to everyone in my group) and requested a transfer to another department. I already had another job lined up though, so when they fired me, I was golden. I got severance, got paid for all my unused vacation days, didn't have to write a resignation letter or transfer all my files, and...since, technically, I got fired, I got to collect unemployment for the 2 weeks until I started at my new job. :point2sky

Archived