Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POLL: Have GOP policies been moving the wealth up?

alexey

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We hear a lot of people complaining about "spreading the wealth around".

Well, does anybody have a problem with moving the wealth up? This poll was made to determine whether people think GOP's policies have been moving the wealth up.

Please feel free to discuss whether that's better than spreading it "around", etc.

Virginia Military Institute.

Do you receive government loans and or grants?

Heck, don't ask about him. Does VMI receive any support from the Government? Are its professors working without pay. If your money is yours, then there should be no military, no police, no public schools, etc. It's an insanely absolutelist stance.

Virginia Military Institute.

Do you receive government loans and or grants?

No I do not. thank you for asking.

edit: VMI is a college run by the Commonwealth of Virginia. it is on the Commonwealth's payroll and has ROTC programs. this is legitamate Federal and state level funding. while I don't think VMI should receive Federal money for the school itself, federal money for the ROTC programs is well justified.

Heck, don't ask about him. Does VMI receive any support from the Government? Are its professors working without pay. If your money is yours, then there should be no military, no police, no public schools, etc. It's an insanely absolutelist stance.
:rolleyes: do you really think that's what I'm advocating? we could play this stupid game all day long, inferencing absolutly stupid things out of what each other believes.

read Article I Sec. 8 of the US Constitution. those are the things I believe are what the government should fund.

From my perspective, any ideology or partisan viewpoint aside (as best I can).

The people with the highest incomes pay less proportionally than others due tax breaks and loopholes/shelters. The GOP didn't invent all those loopholes, but they did pass the majority of the taxbreaks during the last presidential cycle.

Meanwhile, as a small business owner and tax payer, my taxes have gone steadily (albeit undramatically) upwards.

Both parties deregulated business, and gutted oversight/prosecution.

Both parties also spent money faster than the Fed could print it, and borrowed when that wasn't enough.

Both parties allowed a very few people/corporations to own vast swathes of media, minizing watchdog ability there.

When the wealthy have minimal oversight, little risk of Government Intervention on behalf of 'the little people', and access to more money, a majority have historically chosen the pathway of greed and squander. It doesn't matter if we are talking about Babylon, or America 2008.

Those espousing partisan political talking points regarding the growth of the economy and job creation need a review of history. When Teddy Roosevelt and William Howard Taft were breaking up Trusts (e.g. big business) back in the late 1800's, early 1900's, the US sure didnt crumble, wither and die, so let's stop running around in drama mode.

The bottom line is that without labor and commerce provided by 'the little people', nothing really happens anywhere, and the greed driven top layers of wealth grudingly go through the same litany of reform promise, distraction and occaisonally *gasp* opening up their wallets a bit more.

Note: I don't think all wealthy people are hideous, greed drenched villians. A little greed is probably okay as it is a behavioral driver for society and progress. We appear to be in a cycle of large-scale greed, enabled by government, and I think that is the problem.

Is this even a serious question? Trickle down economics is all about helping the top and hoping that they choose to use their money in such a way that it benefits the rest of society. By definition their view of economic policy moves the wealth up.

I'm sick of hearing the complaints about american taxes. Compared to other advanced western nation we are much lower. We have a billion loopholes to exploit. The government makes no real effort to go after people hiding money offshore. Capital gains (where wealth is maintained) is much lower than income tax. Social security is capped relatively low on the income scale.

If that isn't enough you have "Joe the Plumber" conservatives pushing a consumption tax that would shift almost the entire weight of the tax system onto the mid-low middle class. The GOP has earned it's reputation for standing up for the guy that least needs the support.

BTW - I can't wait for the dumbass argument of "why am I motivated to succeed" to pop up. These brave business owners will tell us that 3% increase on money made over 250k is such a burden that they may as well close up shop. I wonder who is actually dumb enough to believe that.

The tax debate is so soaked in dishonesty that it makes me sick.

There is a very poisonous idea of what wealth is in this country, and around the world. You want to be wealthy? Meet your needs, take luxuries when you can, but don't train yourself to want them, because eventually you will need them.

Absolute wealth has increased (and IPod itself is unprecedented amount of wealth, and IPhone, a computer, AC, cars, big houses, fast cars.... HOLY **** WE ARE INCREDIBLY WEALTHY). However, the path we took to get these things as fast as possible arises out of a very grim reality: as absolute wealth increases so does wants and the wants of this absolute wealth decrease the perception of how much wealth we have. The beauty of consumerism... give us more ****, make us less happy so we buy more ****. Eventually we have to buy so much ****, that we pile up massive amounts of debt. Of course the ONLY people who are free of this indignity are those that have SO much absolute wealth that they have entrenched themselves within the system in a way that their absolute wealth increases exponentially maybe even as fast as their imagination, and thus their wants are always fulfilled as soon as they have them.

This isn't a GOP, DEMOCRAT problem, not even a liberal conservative problem.

This is a world wide disease called consumerism. (I am not criticizing capitalism they are different things) And all it does is fuel the happiness of the VERY SMALL % that the have exponentially growing wealth to meet their ridiculously absurd wants as soon as they imagine them. Everybody else in the world suffers the stress of having their wants always out of their grasp, but in their struggle to do so they buy buy buy, borrow borrow borrow, and in this blind struggle they give their livlihoods providing the exponentially rising wealth of the VERY FEW.

So **** consumer confidence, I don't want confident consumers, I want competent people. Maybe they never existed, but they should in the future. And one day I hope to get myself out of the disasterous wants that all social pressures impose on us.

:rant:

I'm gonna make this it's own thread

Nice post Liberty.

I would add that at some specific times, people bought what they needed, saved for what they wanted (or made it, or did without).

They learned to make do with what they had in life, while trying to make things better through hard work and savings.

I think we are at, in a negative cycle (polar opposite) of that now.

I wouldn't just blame consumerism though, because the problem is infecting all societal vectors (high divorce, falling educational advancement, feel good religons, irrational consumerism). In short, we have lost the ability to critically think, behave maturely, tough our way through difficulties and include the needs of others in our thoughts.

*Note* I realize these are generalizations, but they have to be to apply to the larger part of the human population as a group.

Archived