Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense is Not the Problem.

Thrilla4

Since 2004 to our current 4-2 record, our defense has held their opponents to less than 21 points 49 times out of 70 games. This has frustrated me for years, knowing that if only our offense could put up 21 points a game, we would be almost unstoppable.

Lets just say our combined record since 2004 is 33-37. Now if we said we scored 21 points each game our record would be 49-17-4.

I know we are in a new offense and things are starting to come around, but I just remember being so ticked in 2004 when we finished 6-10. When back in '04 if we would have just put up 21 points a game we would have been 13-3-1. All this year we have held our opponents to less than 20 points! There is no reason to me that if that trend continues that we shouldn't Win 12 to 13 games this season.

I don't know maybe I'm just psyching myself out. However, I def don't want to end up like '04. Especially, with the offense we have, which are fully capable of scoring 21 points a game.

I mean am I wrong? Is it our defense is that good or is it just that hard to score 21 points in the NFL? Personally, I think that our defense is bomb and our offense should be perfectly able to put up atleast 21 ponts a game. Now I feel like im just rambling..so anyways....

:point2sky:eaglesuck:gaintsuck:dallasuck:point2sky

I mean am I wrong? Is it our defense is that good or is it just that hard to score 21 points in the NFL? Personally, I think that our defense is bomb and our offense should be perfectly able to put up atleast 21 ponts a game. Now I feel like im just rambling..so anyways....

If you don't separate the Gibbs years from this year in your thinking, you'll miss the key tactical differences. Also, your conclusions imply that the offense is not involved with keeping the opponent's score down and the defense is not involved in our scoring. Not true, of course.

Williams was not as aggressive as Blache in going after turnovers. If our DBs could catch, the turnover margin this year would be huge -- leading to more scoring.

Both Gibbs and Zorn want ball control, which helps the defense keep the opponent's scoring down, but Zorn is achieving it by adding an effective passing game which Joe was never able to do with any consistency.

I agree. If our offense had been halfway productive the past few years, we would have had a much better record. I dont know what it is, but when we start seeing the red zone - execution and effectiveness of our offense stops. We have been very good at holding the ball, keeping the other offense off of the field - but the whole TD thing has never been our strong point.

The good news is that so far this year we ARE averaging 21 a game (in addition to leaving many points on the field). Hope that will continue. We should be ok.

Just to add a bit to what some others have said, I think in a lot of cases opponents didn't score more because they did not need to. If you the other team is only good for 15 a game or so and has no deep ball, quick strike capability you can play a closer game on offense without needed to gamble or push.

I think this has been the case the last 4 years or so for the Skins. Teams knew Gibbs was going to play the percentages, keep it close and try to grind it out. Zorn is not playing quite the same game and has shown a willingness to put it away when the chance is afforded him.

Archived