Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP/Yahoo!: Ohioan: Cross-burning was for Halloween

Teller

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081017/ap_on_re_us/burning_arrest

CANTON' date=' Ohio – A man who burned a cross in front of his home says he was arrested in a misunderstanding over his Halloween decorations.

Thirty-six-year-old Shane Helson said he wanted to make his annual yard display more authentic and set fire to the T-shaped wooden cross so it would look more weathered.[/quote']

*coughbull****cough*

I don't think this is like the pirate hanging from a noose last year. That COULD have been a decoration, despite the connotations the noose naturally brings with it.

I don't know of anyone, Christian or otherwise, that puts up weathered crosses for Halloween; let alone burning ones.

ok. That's enough. Who the hell are you and how did you get H_H's password?

Will the real H_H please come back?

I knew that was coming. :ols:

Um.....Hold on. Here he is.....

"WTF?!?!? So now white people can't have Halloween decorations? Freedom of Speech only applies to minorites? What kind of bullcrap is this?!?!?!"

Better? ;)

Based on the article it seems to me at least there is a history of issues with these neighbors. It does stretch one's believability that this was a Halloween decoration exercise. But a fine of $100 for a "disorderly house" LOL WTF is that?

CANTON, Ohio – A man who burned a cross in front of his home says he was arrested in a misunderstanding over his Halloween decorations.

Thirty-six-year-old Shane Helson said he wanted to make his annual yard display more authentic and set fire to the T-shaped wooden cross so it would look more weathered.

The fire department responded Tuesday night, and a police complaint said Helson continued to spray lighter fluid on the wood after authorities arrived.

He pleaded guilty to having a disorderly house, a misdemeanor. Municipal Judge Mary Falvey fined Helson $100 and ordered him to complete 75 hours of community service. He is also barred from burning any more crosses on his display.

If Helson violates any conditions set by the court, he would have to serve 30 days in jail.

Helson is white, as is next-door neighbor Stephanie Blankenship. But her husband is black, and Blankenship says they have had problems with Helson and his roommate before and she feels intimidated.

Thirty-six-year-old Shane Helson said he wanted to make his annual yard display more authentic and set fire to the T-shaped wooden cross so it would look more weathered.

Sounds like that episode of South Park were they tried to get rid of black celebrities. They set a wooden lower case t on fire to send the message "time to leave."

I've never heard of anyone burning a cross on their lawn and doing it for a good reason. No way I'm buying a Halloween excuse.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081017/ap_on_re_us/burning_arrest

*coughbull****cough*

I don't think this is like the pirate hanging from a noose last year. That COULD have been a decoration, despite the connotations the noose naturally brings with it.

I don't know of anyone, Christian or otherwise, that puts up weathered crosses for Halloween; let alone burning ones.

not only that it is 2 weeks to halloween, little early for that :doh:

That is ****ed up. The whole world is going to hell and we have to arrest a guy for burning a cross in his own yard. No one would have said a word if he was burning a flag though. There's a lot more **** going on in this world right now to worry about than that guys cross.

You're not the interracial couple next door. If your neighbor is burning a flag and you feel threatened, then call the police.

Archived