Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Inland GOP mailing depicts Obama's face on food stamp

Destino

The latest newsletter by an Inland Republican women's group depicts Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama surrounded by a watermelon, ribs and a bucket of fried chicken, prompting outrage in political circles.

The October newsletter by the Chaffey Community Republican Women, Federated says if Obama is elected his image will appear on food stamps -- instead of dollar bills like other presidents. The statement is followed by an illustration of "Obama Bucks" -- a phony $10 bill featuring Obama's face on a donkey's body, labeled "United States Food Stamps."

The GOP newsletter, which was sent to about 200 members and associates of the group by e-mail and regular mail last week, is drawing harsh criticism from members of the political group, elected leaders, party officials and others as racist.

The group's president, Diane Fedele, said she plans to send an apology letter to her members and to apologize at the club's meeting next week. She said she simply wanted to deride a comment Obama made over the summer about how as an African-American he "doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

"It was strictly an attempt to point out the outrageousness of his statement. I really don't want to go into it any further," Fedele said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "I absolutely apologize to anyone who was offended. That clearly wasn't my attempt."

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_buck16.3d67d4a.html

Yeah clearly that wasn't her attempt... check out the food stamp... note the "foods" selected.

racist16_400.jpg

Fried chicken, koolaid, and watermelon... I mean who could possibly think that's racist. :rolleyes:

yeah I saw this today, and I'm not even sure what point is was supposed to mean. I don't understand why its being perceived as racist, but I think it was kind of a ... thud of an idea so (shrugs). ANyone remember the Clinton $3 bill? Now that was funny :D

Needless to say, this woman is a moron

And every single right wing message board has said this woman is a racist moron that needs to be fired and never heard from again for allowing this to go out

Absolutely embarrassing and sick to allow something like this to go out

I can't put a number on how small the percentage of conservatives I feel would find that deal anything other than sad, bad, and stupid.

Keith Olberman put it best. If she didn't realize that was racist then she is just a moron.

So I guess she can choose which she wants to be, a moron or a racist, they pretty much go hand and hand so it doesn't really matter which she chooses.

I vote for racist moron. Or, possibly moronic racist. I'm not really sure which is pre-eminent, and therefore deserves the noun spot.

I can't put a number on how small the percentage of conservatives I feel would find that deal anything other than sad, bad, and stupid.

Judging from the reaction, the group includes the author, and probably nobody else, even within the intended audience.

The term "African American" is offensive to me... unless a person has dual citizenship and actually lived in Africa, I don't get it. Am I "European American"? No, I'm just American.
Sorry, you are European-American.

Obama's dad is from Africa. He is African-American.

My parents are from Asia. I am Asian-American.

One of the greatest things about America is that almost all of us have a heritage in some other country. We aren't American just because our families have always been here. At some point in our family tree, somebody decided to leave their home country and take a chance in this nation of ours. That shared heritage is part of what makes America unique, and it should be celebrated.

DjTj,

But what if his dad was born in America? What if his family has been in America since 1600s? My grandfather's side of the family traces themselves back that far and have fought in every major war since the Revolutionary War.

My parents are of European heritage, but both were born in America. Hence, I'm just American. My wife was born in Asian country. Does that mean my children are Asian-American?

This lady is pretty dumb. I'm guessing she must be over 40? Is it naive of me to think there must be people born after 1990 who wouldn't get it? I hope there are people somewhere young enough that are saying, "huh!?"...

The term "African American" is offensive to me... unless a person has dual citizenship and actually lived in Africa, I don't get it. Am I "European American"? No, I'm just American.

I think "just American" is "just fine." I always say "American" and never "German American", but then I often tell people I'm Alaskan as an important identifier because I have pride in that part of my history, and other times I tell people "I'm mainly German" when we're talking about ethnic/cultural heritage.

It's personal preference as to how you identify, but, logically speaking, the POV code expresses is a bit ridiculous, IMO. I can't imagine why anyone would get their shorts in a knot over "Italian-American" etc.

If someone wants to acknowledge an important part of their heritage while also acknowledging their being an American, well, oh my. How awful. ;)

Taking it as an implication that it somehow, automatically, dilutes the person's loyalty or attachment to the U.S. seems fatuous when subjected to any reasonable application of thought.

There's no good reason to assume it means anything other than "I am proud of my Italian heritage and to be an American and I honor both." To me that seems so obvious it wouldn't need to be pointed out.

I am used to people, and communities, identifying themselves as Irish-American, Chinese-American, Mexican-American, Russian-American, Japanese-American, and Italian-American. I never found any valid reason to think folks who identified themselves as such were automatically "lesser-than" in terms of their loyalty to the U.S., which would be the only reason I assume someone would take offense.

It's different if the person tells you straight up they're "for Italy first and the United States second." :D

And any idea that it's "offensive" because the other-nationality word is put "first" is unthinking nonsense to me. In fact (somewhat aside) that order usually denotes the priority word (the major-class designation) is the second word in the phrase (grammatically).

Oops. This is becoming a hijack. That was all I have to say on that, so I'm done. And code, it's nothing personal, I was sort of responding in general to the apparent line of thinking behind such a viewpoint.

I'm sorry, but you'd better grow a thicker skin. If Obama is going to be president you have to know it's going to happen. Just wait and see what SNL has in store for him. They got on all the other presidents. I'm sure they'll be on him too. It's going to be tiring to hear, "Racist" everyday.

I'm sorry, but you'd better grow a thicker skin. If Obama is going to be president you have to know it's going to happen. Just wait and see what SNL has in store for him. They got on all the other presidents. I'm sure they'll be on him too. It's going to be tiring to hear, "Racist" everyday.

Yep, EVERY criticism, complaint, disagreement and opposing view will be met with RACIST, BIGOT etc towards Obama positions, policies,decisions etc.

As just one example pre Obama presidency here is an article that makes my point. A sign posted with Obama characterized as BOZO and the article writer frames the article as Racist to portray Obama as BOZO. Come on it but this is just silly and get used to it because it will be the first MO as a defense Obama supporters will use to negate criticism of any and all Obama's actions..

Is suburban Obama sign racist?

It might be offensive, but it isn't illegal.

That's the conclusion police reached about a campaign sign in unincorporated Kane County that contains a "racial slur" in reference to Barack Obama.

The homemade sign, posted along a well-traveled stretch of Route 47 north of Lily Lake, shows a caricature of the nation's first black presidential nominee wearing red-colored hair and a red nose modeled after Chicago's famed Bozo the Clown. There's a red circle with a line through the Illinois senator's head and two words in all capital letters: "NO BROZOS."

Police have received one complaint so far, but "there's nothing criminal" about the sign, Lt. Pat Gengler of the Kane County Sheriff's Department said Wednesday.

For one, it's on private property. Second, it's considered political speech protected by the First Amendment, according to Assistant State's Attorney Clint Hull, who reviewed the matter.

"There weren't any applicable violations of law based on the sign," Hull said.

The man who put up the sign at 8N240 Route 47 told an officer he did so after another one was vandalized, according to a police report. The new sign has a layer of barbed wire around the base.

The man also told police he plans to keep the sign up "until Sen. John McCain wins the election," through he "does not want any attention" from it, according to the report, which did not identify the homeowner.

A man at the residence declined to comment Tuesday.

"It's unfortunate it's come to this level on both sides," said James Durkin, state chairman of the McCain campaign, noting a recent flap over T-shirts calling McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin, a derogatory term. "This type of stuff has no place in our campaigning. We don't condone it."

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=243033

5fe86d7528594ed6868a3dd0eecc2807

Cause we all know SNL is going to have sketches of him tap dancing for some friend chicken and kool aid.

Yep, EVERY criticism, complaint, disagreement and opposing view will be met with RACIST, BIGOT etc towards Obama positions, policies,decisions etc.

As just one example pre Obama presidency here is an article that makes my point. A sign posted with Obama characterized as BOZO and the article writer frames the article as Racist to portray Obama as BOZO.

The sign doesn't portray Obama as "BOZO." It says "BROZOS"..as in bro/brother.

In other words a black clown. :doh:

And it blows my mind that you don't see anything offensive about this.

And black clown is racist?? It may be offensive but racist? My point being EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that can be construed as offensive etc will be painted as RACIST. It will dilute the action that is needed to stamp the real RACISTS out there.

Brave,

aRedskin is never gonna get it. aRedskin lives in the "Get over it" world. You want black people to forget the the past in terms of racism in this country, but everytime you see stupid crap like this, it just peels the scab off the wound. If people would stop being so ignorant and afraid of someone who has a different skin color or heritage than the other person , the world would be a whole lot better. Unfortunately some pepple don't want to know or don't know the history of this country when it comes to racism. So they think stuff like this is ok. It says more about them than it does about Obama or any other other black person quite frankly.

Archived