Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Favorite Gibbs "mini-era"

hail2skins

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We all know that Joe Gibbs had a nice run in DC, especially during the first 12-year period he was here. I just wanted to put a poll up asking folks that if they could choose a specific timeframe of the Gibbs coaching era as a favorite, which would it be? I know a good number of folks on here weren't old enough to be fans during the 1981-1992 timeframe, but what the heck.

My personal favorite was the first four year period. The magical 1982 season, the monster 1983 season where we could score at will (except the #$%& Super Bowl!) and the 1984 season where we recovered from a slow start to win the division. What about you?

Theismann era for sure.

The winning was new and exciting. I was also naive and just felt that this was the way it would always be. 1982/83/84 was a great time to be a Redskins fan.

But I will say that one of my favorite all time seasons took place under Jay Schroeder in 1986. I really loved that team and the way they always came back in the fourth quarter to snatch victories. They were just the Giants away from a Super Title that season.

I feel left out, because I really can't vote. The only one I have witnessed is the Brunell one :doh:

But I'll go ahead and say the Schroeder/Williams era. Gotta be awesome to see your own team have the first black Qb to win a Super Bowl.

Me too. It would be hard for me to vote for any of those first three from Joe Gibbs I but I'm sure they were better than the Brunell/Campbell era. Even though it provided it's fair share of great memories.

Me too. It would be hard for me to vote for any of those first three from Joe Gibbs I but I'm sure they were better than the Brunell/Campbell era. Even though it provided it's fair share of great memories.

Exactly. While there have been some good memories in our time (14-13 over Dallas comes to mind,) I'm sure many of them pale in comparison to what we weren't around to witness.

The 1991-92 season will always be my favorite season. This was the year that I got my liscense therefore I was indulging in rebelious teenage things of the time... Still, 3 of our first 5 games were shutouts. We won 11 straight games only to lose to the stinkin' Cowboys in week 12 at RFK (I still get pissed over that Alvin Harper TD right before halftime). We crushed the Falcons and the Lions (a team that we slaughtered the first week of the season...A Sunday night game on TNT...I remember it like it was yesterday) then beat the perennial Super Bowl chumps, the Buffalo Bills, in the Superbowl.

The Mark Rypien, Earnest Byner, Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, old aged Hogs, Wilbur Marshall, Darrell Green, Brad Edwards, Kurt Gouviea, we could go on and on...this era of Coach Gibbs was my favorite. That last four year run though is definitely in second (Portis first carry for a TD against Tampa Bay, the Moss Miracle against the Cowboys, Taylor Memorial of '07)

1981-84.

Growing up during the 70's and watching the Cowboys dominate the NFC (for the most part) grew old real quick. When it finally turned our way in 1982 it felt so good. To dominate them in the NFC Championship Game...still my favorite win of all time...get goose bumps just thinking about that game now. Then to go on and win our first Super Bowl and follow it up with an incredible season in 1983 (except for that damn Super Bowl as the OP pointed out)...that was my favorite era....

The 1991-92 season will always be my favorite season. This was the year that I got my liscense therefore I was indulging in rebelious teenage things of the time... Still, 3 of our first 5 games were shutouts. We won 11 straight games only to lose to the stinkin' Cowboys in week 12 at RFK (I still get pissed over that Alvin Harper TD right before halftime). We crushed the Falcons and the Lions (a team that we slaughtered the first week of the season...A Sunday night game on TNT...I remember it like it was yesterday) then beat the perennial Super Bowl chumps, the Buffalo Bills, in the Superbowl.

The Mark Rypien, Earnest Byner, Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, old aged Hogs, Wilbur Marshall, Darrell Green, Brad Edwards, Kurt Gouviea, we could go on and on...this era of Coach Gibbs was my favorite. That last four year run though is definitely in second (Portis first carry for a TD against Tampa Bay, the Moss Miracle against the Cowboys, Taylor Memorial of '07)

I think that was the only time in Redskins history where they didn't play to the level of the team they were facing. THey just cranked it up almost every game.

We were so good that year one time when we went in to the half barely holding a lead(against the LA Rams) Gibbs kciked a folding chair across the locker room.

The Mark Rypien, Earnest Byner, Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, old aged Hogs, Wilbur Marshall, Darrell Green, Brad Edwards, Kurt Gouviea, we could go on and on...this era of Coach Gibbs was my favorite.

Everything Misterwookas said and more.

I was a little too young to really appreciate the Joey T era, though the one vivid memory I do have was bawling my eyes out in '84 when we lost to the Raiders in the SB as a 9 year old.

The next stretch with Doug Williams winning it all is more where my memory's start to kick in. The "Quarter" that glorious night in San Diego. Oh man.

But the end of the Coach' first go around is what sticks out and still stands as my favourite time following the burgundy and gold. The Hogs Mark 2 beating up on d-lines; Dexter, who moved onto the Cardinals just before that SB season, and Charles Mann sacking opposition QB's for fun, in the day's when we not only had a pass rush, but a darn skeery one if you were lined up on the other side of the ball; Darrel Green, the NFL's fastest man for like forever; B-Mitch breaking records returning, Ryp airing it out to Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders and the timeless Art Monk..... man alive it's like it was yesterday.

There's one game from that '91 Championship Season that sticks out, against Warren Moon and that high powered run and gun Oilers offense at a rocking RFK. Jack Pardee came back to town with his Oilers at 7-1, the 'Skins at 8-0, and the two teams everyone thought would meet up again in the Super Bowl. Both teams were scoring points for fun all year, but this turned into a real defensive, drama filled struggle, with Houston tieng it up late at 13. (We held the Oilers to 20 or so total rushing yards, or something crazy.). Chip Lohmiller won it in OT on a long FG, 16-13, but for sheer drama, and two teams playing to the very top of there respective ability's, it's always stood out as one of my all time favourite 'Skins games.

Anyone else remember this one from that great season?

Happy, happy times, and a fantastic time to be a 'Skin. Ty so much Coach, for everything. :notworthy

Hail.

I feel left out, because I really can't vote. The only one I have witnessed is the Brunell one :doh:

But I'll go ahead and say the Schroeder/Williams era. Gotta be awesome to see your own team have the first black Qb to win a Super Bowl.

It was the coolest. Especially to see Williams do it in D.C., a city that's 70% black. It was in a year when we were an underdog in the playoffs, and lucked out by hosting the NFC Title game -- everything just added to the excitement. And I was just a 13-year old white boy from the 'burbs. I remember having the front page of the Washington Post framed, on my bedroom wall, all through high school. The pic was of Williams, holding his helmet above his head and head down, almost Mexico City Olympics-style, with the headline "Williams Delivers a Super Bowl Triumph"

There's one game from that '91 Championship Season that sticks out, against Warren Moon and that high powered run and gun Oilers offense at a rocking RFK. Jack Pardee came back to town with his Oilers at 7-1, the 'Skins at 8-0, and the two teams everyone thought would meet up again in the Super Bowl. Both teams were scoring points for fun all year, but this turned into a real defensive, drama filled struggle, with Houston tieng it up late at 13. (We held the Oilers to 20 or so total rushing yards, or something crazy.). Chip Lohmiller won it in OT on a long FG, 16-13, but for sheer drama, and two teams playing to the very top of there respective ability's, it's always stood out as one of my all time favourite 'Skins games.

Actually, the Oilers had a chance to end our (up-to-then) undefeated season late in that game but their kicker (del Greco, I think) shanked a chip shot FG at the end of regulation to preserve the tie and send it to OT. Didn't D. Green pick one off to set up Lohmiller's FG? I just recall being too nervous to watch.

I voted for the Theismann era b/c that's the one that I remember w/such awe. I was about to graduate from high school so those were good times..no worries...just football! Those guys knew how it was supposed to be done.

*edit* But that 2nd qtr in the Williams/Schoeder era was simply awesome! That's one for the memoirs for sure!

The Super Bowl season with Ryp was awesome. We were the most dominant team in the league. We were a Gary Clark personal foul against the Cowgirls and a meaningless game against the Eagles from being 19-0. I know the 82-83 seasons were awesome, but to me the Ryp era sticks out.

Actually, the Oilers had a chance to end our (up-to-then) undefeated season late in that game but their kicker (del Greco, I think) shanked a chip shot FG at the end of regulation to preserve the tie and send it to OT. Didn't D. Green pick one off to set up Lohmiller's FG? I just recall being too nervous to watch.

You really got me thinking, so i dug out the SB programme from that year and came up with a surprising name. You where right about the late, blown Houston chance to win, but the wrong kicker. Del Greco was out injured, and some English dude called Ian Howfield was in, whom ever the heck he was.

Nice someone else remembered the game, one of many great ones from a superb season.

Hail.

You really got me thinking, so i dug out the SB programme from that year and came up with a surprising name. You where right about the late, blown Houston chance to win, but the wrong kicker. Del Greco was out injured, and some English dude called Ian Howfield was in, whom ever the heck he was.

Nice someone else remembered the game, one of many great ones from a superb season.

Hail.

Yeah, I remember that after the game the kicker was being interviewed and he was literally crying in front of the camera. He was let go after the game.

It was the same game were D Green disclosed his secret of how he runs fast.... a hidden tootsie roll in his sock.

Archived