Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Murtha apologizes for calling western Pennsylvania 'racist'

BigMike619

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/16/murtha.racism.apology/index.html

(CNN) -- Pennsylvania Rep. John Murtha, a supporter of Barack Obama's presidential bid, apologized Thursday for calling western Pennsylvania "a racist area."

"While we cannot deny that race is a factor in this election, I believe we've been able to look beyond race these past few months, and that voters today are concerned with the policy differences of our two candidates and their vision for the future of our great country," he said in a statement issued by his office.

"Senator Obama has shown sound judgment and has presented us with a change from the failed policies of George Bush and John McCain. I believe he will win both Pennsylvania and the White House."

Murtha's apology came after the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette posted a story on its Web site Wednesday that quotes the veteran Democratic congressman as saying, "no question that western Pennsylvania is a racist area," and predicting that those attitudes could cost the Illinois senator on Election Day.

In a statement later that day, a Murtha spokesman defended the remarks, telling The Associated Press that "It's naive to think that race or gender doesn't play a role in a voter's perception of a candidate."

whats the reasoning behind this one? he is a supporter and obviously has ties to Obamas campaign. So what say you of this incident?

its amazing the stuff that "leaks" out of his supporters yet he gets so mad when people in a crowd get all racist.

he has 3 people that have made racially charged statements in 3 seperate incidents.

Murtha made the same statement during the primaries..when he was supporting Hillary.

Heck, the govenor of the state said the same thing...also a former Hillary supporter.

Murtha made the same statement during the primaries..when he was supporting Hillary.

Heck, the govenor of the state said the same thing...also a former Hillary supporter.

so its cool then?

we should just forget it and chalk it up to him being a looney tune?

left wing looneys?

so does that mean the dude with the monkey and obama shirt is just looney? or that guy on the bike is just a looney too?

seriously, where is this line of what is racism and what is just some loon?

so its cool then?

we should just forget it and chalk it up to him being a looney tune?

left wing looneys?

so does that mean the dude with the monkey and obama shirt is just looney? or that guy on the bike is just a looney too?

seriously, where is this line of what is racism and what is just some loon?

I never said it was Ok. I also don't know if it's true or not.

I haven't spent much time in Western Pennsylvania. Though the things I've been told aren't great in regards to race. :whoknows:

I went to school at Pitt and wow coming from DC to there was a shock. I think race is a much bigger issue in western PA than DC that is for sure. Compared to the rest of the US who knows. But I will say that as far as racism being in your face...I saw much more of it in Western PA than in DC.

I never said it was Ok. I also don't know if it's true or not.

I haven't spent much time in Western Pennsylvania. Though the things I've been told aren't great in regards to race. :whoknows:

if what is true or not?

you ever live in DC? Does that mean I can call you a crackhead because a good percent of the population was?

come on man, stereotypes arent right and you know it. :cheers:

So not voting for Obama means you are racist?

Newsflash its going to take a fairly large percentage of whites voting for Obama for him to win.

And why is it that Blacks, Hablas, parlez Vous, Alohas, Bravo Channel viewers and 1st of the month types voting in the upper 90 percentile for Obama not considered Racist??

Oh because it would mean they are sellouts if they do vote the other way..... :rolleyes:

It's a good thing to apologize. I hope it was a real one.

You can't just lump people in a particular area or demographic chunk generically like that.

You especially can't do that if it is true (and I am not saying it is). People get really up in arms when you publicly and truthfully stereotype them, moreso in my opinion, than when you do it unfairly.

Id chalk it up to a big mouth saying something stupid, no more, no less.

I know plenty of jackoffs that support Obama that say much more stupid things . If I based my vote on what they say rather than what he says, I'd be pretty much an idiot, no?

~Bang

While not defending Mutha's commentsas I haven't read them, Western PA is one area where the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery identified that the Klan is growing in strength.

:2cents:

so Oakland is a racist city because the black panthers were based there?

so Oakland is a racist city because the black panthers were based there?

That's a strange view to hold Mike.

Did you read the part where I said I wasn't defending Murtha's comments?

In Western PA race will certainly be a factor with a higher percentage of voters than in many other areas. The question we don't know is how significant that percentage will be.

That's a strange view to hold Mike.

Did you read the part where I said I wasn't defending Murtha's comments?

In Western PA race will certainly be a factor with a higher percentage of voters than in many other areas. The question we don't know is how significant that percentage will be.

not really, i was just going by what i thought you said. i took it by you saying that the klan is growing in numbers in western PA that it is plausible that it is a racist area. Well Oakland once grew in massive amounts of number with black panther members, so does that make it the same as western pa but for black people?

We're all looking through skin-colored glasses.

I'm not surprised that an African-American would feel more comfortable in DC than in western PA. I'm sure the exact opposite would be true for me. (And in Baltimore, it CERTAINLY is.)

I'm not sure I would equate Oakland being filled with Panthers to the KKK being strong in Western PA.:2cents:

of course not ;)

I dont care enough about Western PA or Cokeland to defend or condemn but I will say this; this is now 3 different people either coming from Obama's camp or with Obama ties tha thave made racially charged comments.

Wright

GA Politician (always forget his name :mad:)

and now Murtha.

of course not ;)

I dont care enough about Western PA or Cokeland to defend or condemn but I will say this; this is now 3 different people either coming from Obama's camp or with Obama ties tha thave made racially charged comments.

Wright

GA Politician (always forget his name :mad:)

and now Murtha.

To be fair, Murtha (as I said in a previous post) was saying the same stuff before he was supporting Obama.

So it's not like all of sudden..he's just echoing Obama's thoughts. :)

To be fair, Murtha (as I said in a previous post) was saying the same stuff before he was supporting Obama.

So it's not like all of sudden..he's just echoing Obama's thoughts. :)

so why is Obama tied in to all of this? it is just wild coincidence?

this is from CNN not Fox ;)

Archived