Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers - When to start contract negotiations?

Shilsu

After Carlos Rogers became starter over Walt Harris in 2005, his rookie year, I was pleased with what he showed on the field.

Then came 2006 when I quickly soured on the guy. In the season opener, Brad Johnson threw a perfect pass to Troy Williamson who had completely burned Rogers... And the ball went through Williamson's hands. Then Carlos Rogers started dancing. Like he did something. A few weeks later, same thing happened in the Texans game. Andre Johnson completely burned Rogers... And I forget if it was a dropped pass or a poorly thrown ball but... Rogers started dancing. Like he did something.

So even after playing pretty well in his limited time on the field in 2007, I still wasn't sold on him. However, his comeback from a devastating injury and playing completely lights out this 2008 season has me convinced. Manning up against Terrell Owens, Tory Holt, Boldin/Fitzgerald is no easy task. But Rogers has done it. He is a good cornerback.

This is his penultimate season. Next year is his final year.

When would you start contract negotiatons? Would it be wise to start now (remember Ladell Betts signed his contract extension midseason)? Or would it be too much of a distraction?

But then what happens if we wait... Like with Champ Bailey.

Just wondering.

Good question. While Carlos hasn't lived up to 9th overall pick expectations he has been playing very well. Yeah he has hands of stone of the INT is only a small part of a CB's game.

My feel is they let him play out his contract. By the time it ends the NFL salary cap may be history (even if only temporarily. It is during that period that decisions will need to be made. Until then here's to this season ending in February. :cheers:

Wait!! Still a long season left so let him earn what he might get!!We don't want him out all night dancing with a fat pocket if we go to the playoffs!!!

This makes sense. I would try to extend him in the offseason. He is definitely someone we should keep, considering that he is coming off an injury and may just be the best corner on the team right now. He really is playing better than I've ever seen him play.

Wait and let him TOTALLY earn it, not just hike his wages based on a handfull of good games.

He's started out the right way this year, of that there's NO question. But let him do it week in, week out over 16 weeks and prove he is worthy of being re-signed. Rather than doing it now with the potential to see him regress backward to the same old repeated mistakes we've seen season after season.

If that's not an incentive for him to keep improving, then maybes he doesn't deserve to be here after all.

Hail.

Carlos isn't a free agent until 2012.

I have found a lot of sites about the initial 5 year contract signed in 2005 that would expire in 2009.

I also found this on HogHeaven/mvn.com and posted on Feb. 16th, 2008 which agrees with what you have posted. What I can't find is when his initial contract was extended/reworked?

Player Profile: Carlos Rogers, Cornerback, Auburn University

NFL Experience: 3 years

Contract Remaining: 4 years

2008 Cap Number: $2,343,000

2008 Release Fee: $5,694,000

he has been playing well but he couldn't catch a cold, not wait yes he can, he will be out 2 games because of it.

he can't stay healthy and he can't make the big play, let him walk

:doh:

Can't stay healthy? Please explain.

The man did not get on the field to start his rookie campaign yet played in 12 games. The following season, he played in 15 games. And last year he played in 7 games before the injury. Finally, this season, coming back from a serious injury, he has played in EVERY GAME.

So you say let him walk huh? Springs days are coming to a close too. That will leave Smoot, Torrence and Tryon as the only corners on the roster.

:doh:

Can't stay healthy? Please explain.

The man did not get on the field to start his rookie campaign yet played in 12 games. The following season, he played in 15 games. And last year he played in 7 games before the injury. Finally, this season, coming back from a serious injury, he has played in EVERY GAME.

So you say let him walk huh? Springs days are coming to a close too. That will leave Smoot, Torrence and Tryon as the only corners on the roster.

I tend to agree with you, just smells like a hater

You sign him up now; try and have it done by the bye week.

The longer you wait the more the price goes up, even if you don't think he is a shutdown corner as many on this board don't, we still keep him in the secondary. We should not let him go no matter what.

Campbell is the same way.

he has been playing well but he couldn't catch a cold, not wait yes he can, he will be out 2 games because of it.

he can't stay healthy and he can't make the big play, let him walk

LOL.....hey bandwagon fan....have you watched any Redskins games this year at all?

Good post. I say wait until the end of the season and see if he stays consistent through the next 10 games.

If he continues to play lights-out like he has, then sign him when the season's over for sure....

and props to Carlos, he has been shutting WRs down so far :applause:

Archived