Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley-Winslow-Taylor-Loston ramblings

PigskinPhat

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Cooley_s_Consistency__Durability_Separates_Him_From_Winslow_1814.jsp

Just read this Cooley article on the homepage and it just occurred to me that we drafted Cooley the same year as Sean Taylor.

I remember back then reading in that Gibbs told Winslow, Jr. privately that the Skins were going to draft him and then turned around and drafted another Hurricane, Sean Taylor, instead. Winslow, Jr. was unsurprisingly pi$$ed, but the fact that Taylor was a fellow Hurricane, cooled him a bit.

What if Gibbs drafted Winslow instead?!?

Funny how things work out...

Hindsight being 20/20, I wonder how many fans would like it if we drafted Winslow, Jr. instead?

Speaking of Sean Taylor...I know of only 1 player, a high school safety that throws his body around like Taylor. He's from my fam's hometown of Aldine, TX. His name is Craig Loston. He was going to Clemson, but with all the trouble down there, it's all up in the air...

Here's some C-Los highlights:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=54056&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d54056

If C-Los grows to about 220 lbs, you might be looking at "Taylor Redux".

Sorry for the multi-subject ramble, I can't wait for the Brown's game... HTTR.

:silly:

I don't even think he hits all that hard. He just seems to know how to wrap up/form tackle, as if he had really long arms or something. Maybe if he bulked up, but I mean, this is only high school we are talking about. A lot can change in colllege. Better, faster athletes.

That being said, he is fast as hell, and has excellent closing speed. I'd love to see Butch Davis talk him into coming to Carolina.

I would take four years with Sean or a career of Cooley over a career of Winslow any day of the week.

The fact that we got to and get to experience both is a plus.

I'd take the brief career of Taylor over the full career of Winslow Jr, regardless of what kind of stats Winslow puts up in his career. It was a pleasure to watch him. A privelage.

Actually, in hindsight, Gibbs II would've turned out SIGNIFICANTLY better if we'd used that pick on Roethlisberger and used the 3rd rounder we blew on Brunell to get Cooley. Big Ben at QB,plus the additional 2005 2nd rounder we had to give up to recover the missing 3rd for Cooley, and the 1st, 3rd, and 4th we gave up for Campbell. Given how well Big Ben played his rookie year and how dominating our D was in '04, we would've made the playoffs immediately, instead of going 6-10.

I think people are forgetting how much influence CP had on Gibbs drafting ST and trading for Moss. CP who played with both Winslow and ST said ST was the special one and thats where they went. Plus Winslows negatives were higher than ST with his general attitude and "soldier" comments.

Also, the Loston kid can really hit. It actually looks like he may have studied ST's moves because he attacks the ball carrier and takes good angles. I don't really see that from other safeties on any level do it the way Sean did. This kid is definitely on his way and has the same reckless abandon for his body. Let's just wait and see. ST was a beast in High Schooo, College and in the NFL. That is a feat in of itself. Let's see this kid keep it up at the college level and then I'll be singing his praises.

Taylor had a special gift and almost single handed got the Skins to the playoffs in his rookie season with a couple of key turnovers and returns at important moments in the games. Horton has had that type of impact early this season. It's not hard imagining him getting dramatically better and being a good replacement for Taylor in a couple years.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Cooley_s_Consistency__Durability_Separates_Him_From_Winslow_1814.jsp

Just read this Cooley article on the homepage and it just occurred to me that we drafted Cooley the same year as Sean Taylor.

I remember back then reading in that Gibbs told Winslow, Jr. privately that the Skins were going to draft him and then turned around and drafted another Hurricane, Sean Taylor, instead. Winslow, Jr. was unsurprisingly pi$$ed, but the fact that Taylor was a fellow Hurricane, cooled him a bit.

What if Gibbs drafted Winslow instead?!?

Funny how things work out...

Hindsight being 20/20, I wonder how many fans would like it if we drafted Winslow, Jr. instead?

Speaking of Sean Taylor...I know of only 1 player, a high school safety that throws his body around like Taylor. He's from my fam's hometown of Aldine, TX. His name is Craig Loston. He was going to Clemson, but with all the trouble down there, it's all up in the air...

Here's some C-Los highlights:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=54056&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d54056

If C-Los grows to about 220 lbs, you might be looking at "Taylor Redux".

Sorry for the multi-subject ramble, I can't wait for the Brown's game... HTTR.

:silly:

I don't think you'll get 1 person to say they would pick Winslow over Sean. Especially when we have Cooley.

But this Loston kid is a monster....from those highlights.

I hope we don't look at that Loston guy. Based on those highlights, he either dives straight at their knees or tries to wrap around their neck/upper body and throw them. This crap won't fly in the NFL. Also 3 or 4 of those hits were WAY out of bounds. Not saying he's not good, I've never seen him play personally. But based on those highlights, thats what I notice.

nice post.

I do think that C-Los tackles very well. I do see the disregard for his body in the stop, but he needs a few years of growth, coupled with the weight room, and a hefty diet to make that next step. That's a lot of variables, but good luck-would love to see him make it!

Archived