Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happens if a person voting early dies before the election?

Kilmer17

Have to allow them to vote. Too difficult and time-consuming to try to track down whether every person who died in the weeks before an election who could possibly have voted, did. What if I voted on election day, but then on the way home was killed in a car accident (before my vote was counted)?

Here's some info on the topic: http://www.slate.com/id/2191402/

Because election law is governed by states, the rules vary widely when it comes to how this issue is handled. Had Steen lived in Florida, for example, her vote would have counted. Florida state law dictates that "the ballot of an elector who casts an absentee ballot shall be counted even if the elector dies on or before election day" so long as the ballot was postmarked or received by the election supervisor prior to the voter's death.

EDIT: that was for a primary though, I'll have to do more looking for presidential election...

What if someone actually dies at the polling station? Let's say they have punched their ballot, but while walking towards the ballot box, they keel over and die with the ballot in hand. Should that vote count?

That probably depends on who the is marked on the ballot, and the prefernce of the people at the polling station (who they support).

Archived