Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wildcat....Portis and Shaun

RSimports

I'm not sure if this has been brought up. Please keep in mind I don't think this will happen and more then likely won't happen. But what if Shaun ends up actually begins being the beast he was in 05 or somewhat close to that do you think Zorn would consider implementing the wildcat formation like the dolphins have done? The browns just had a similar formation on Monday night and I believe the sports caster said a few other teams have attempted it as well.

Comments? Thought?

Hail

edited cause I never learned how to spell...

I don't think it will happen, but with Corny Zorny at the helm, I wouldn't be surprised to see him want to shake things up a little bit. Especially after Sunday.

If SA is even a shadow of the player he was in 05, I will be shocked. If he is, it would have to be considered the steal of the decade, considering that he has been out of work since April and he is just now being signed.

Here's to hope :cheers:

To me the wildcat defense is slightly overrated. Yeah it is doing good now, but once a defense cordinator realize that all you need to do is be patient when you are in facing that defense, it will be pretty easy to shutdown.
Umm, it's an offense.

As for the subject, I would be for anything that Zorn thinks would work. I think that he is slowly becoming a play calling guru.

I agree with some of the posters above that if we were going to run the wildcat, which who knows if that'll happen or not, why run it with Alexander over some of the other guys we have? I don't think he's going to bring anything to the table that'll allow us to explore new areas of the offense. He couldn't get on the field with Detroit or Cincy.

You go into the lockerroom.... you look into the player's eyes... and with a lot of authority and sincerity... you say "you guys need to be patient". Simple as that :)

It's not easy to shut it down.... seeing as that it's produced Heisman winners and runners-up :) It's contributed to some of the best offenses in college ball... and it utilized by some of the best high school programs in the United States -- including a few championship teams in Virginia. It's one of the highest scoring offenses in the country.

If it were easy to defend.... that wouldn't be the case.

In fact, Dr Ken Keuffel - a single wing guru - published a book for SW coaches. Right on the front cover:

"The principles of single wing football are enduring, and they're all covered by Ken Keuffel. Every coach in football can profit by reading this book." -- Bill Belichick, Head Coach, New England Patriots.

And this coming from the coach who gave up 5 TD's just a couple of weeks ago to this offensive scheme :)

Or Vince Lombardi: "Even the great Vince Lombardi was scared of a possible single-wing resurrection. "What would happen if someone came out with the single-wing offense?" he once asked. "It would embarrass the hell out of us."

So no, it's not as easy as people make it to be.

To me the wildcat defense is slightly overrated. Yeah it is doing good now, but once a defense cordinator realize that all you need to do is be patient when you are in facing that defense, it will be pretty easy to shutdown.

definitely have a point. all it is is a qb read option like all the spread offenses with mobile qbs (florida, texas, baylor, etc) run. just with two rbs instead of a qb and rb.

as i was watching texas run it over the weekend, i was thinking of how to stop it. the read is based on the DE, if he crashes inside, the 'qb' keeps it. if he stays put, its the hand off. so the DE should crash every time, but have the olb or mlb circle wide outside as the DE crashes. then the 'qb' keeps it, thinking he has a run outside, but as soon as he pulls the ball back in to run, the lb shows up and forces him back inside.

on paper, it seems like it would work.

and im getting tired of all these people calling it wildcat like miami invented it or something. they werent even the first team to start using it in recent years. arkansas with mcfadden and jones lived on it (and actually had mcfadden throw the ball from it for the 3rd threat) and clemson with spiller and davis (though they never threw from it so it wasnt as effective) have lived off of the play for the last 3 or so years. but ive only ever heard arkansas mentioned ONCE and never clemson for their usage of it. as far as im aware, i thought i heard someone from miami was on staff at arkansas when dmac and felix were still there, so he brought it over. so all these commentators need to give props instead of acting like miami invented sliced bread.

Another example:

As recently as 3 weeks ago.... the class 5A reigning state champions from Florida (high school) the Apopka Blue Darters - a Single Wing offense - went to Mississippi to take on the South Panola Tigers -- a high school in Mississippi that has a 78-game winning streak... 3rd longest streak ever. 5 Consecutive 15-0 seasons and state championships. So good... after giving every team in the state a chance to beat them.... they decided to play teams outside the state for competition. Of course, on their home field :)

Both schools have an enrollment of about 13,000 kids. South Panola averaged nearly 300 pounds per player along the offense line.... and a 6'5 running back with breakaway speed and the ability to truck defenders (wouldn't shy away from contact).

South Panola continued their streak as they beat Apopka 28-18 on their home field... all 4 TD's by the runningback on 3 60-yard runs and a 1-yard plunge just before half-time. Otherwise, these teams were square. And the Blue Darters would have won the game if not for a late INT on the Panola goal-line -- after the team drove 80 yards.

Great game. But it goes to show you.... even the best defenses in the country... stacked with talent... have a lot of trouble defending the offense.

definitely have a point. all it is is a qb read option like all the spread offenses with mobile qbs (florida, texas, baylor, etc) run. just with two rbs instead of a qb and rb.

as i was watching texas run it over the weekend, i was thinking of how to stop it. the read is based on the DE, if he crashes inside, the 'qb' keeps it. if he stays put, its the hand off. so the DE should crash every time, but have the olb or mlb circle wide outside as the DE crashes. then the 'qb' keeps it, thinking he has a run outside, but as soon as he pulls the ball back in to run, the lb shows up and forces him back inside.

on paper, it seems like it would work.

and im getting tired of all these people calling it wildcat like miami invented it or something. they werent even the first team to start using it in recent years. arkansas with mcfadden and jones lived on it (and actually had mcfadden throw the ball from it for the 3rd threat) and clemson with spiller and davis (though they never threw from it so it wasnt as effective) have lived off of the play for the last 3 or so years. but ive only ever heard arkansas mentioned ONCE and never clemson for their usage of it. as far as im aware, i thought i heard someone from miami was on staff at arkansas when dmac and felix were still there, so he brought it over. so all these commentators need to give props instead of acting like miami invented sliced bread.

There is a lot of accuracy in the post.

The play has nothing to do with the read of the DE... although adjustments can be made depending on how the DE adjusts. The blocking scheme is based on the playcall.

Why is it difficult to defend? Because of the misdirection. DE's have to stay home and respect all the available options - even backside. And that takes away some of the aggressiveness of the offense... and that split second hesitation is all a RB needs to get to the second level.... because the plays are quick hitting.

And it's like a QB keeper... with a runninback. There's no exchange - which slows down a play - AND all 11 men on the field are being useful on each play.... rather than QB handing off and watching the play... effectively utilizing only 10 men offense.

- Which also gives you more blockers at the POA -- good thing.

- Also, every play looks exactly the same... so there are no "tells" -- good thing.

- And every play has 3-4 potential options from it... potentially attacking every area of the field/defense -- good thing.

That's why it's such an effective offense. Frankly, it's a brilliant offense.

As I told anybody that would listen last year in the Tailgate forum... I'd highly recommend Dave Cisar's Unbalanced Single Wing complete football program package for anybody (it's geared toward NEW coaches... but used by everybody... including experts) considering coaching football. Best product I've seen to date... and I've spent over $4000 on football coaching materials (books/DVDs, seminars, etc).

We did that in high school. I can't believe pro teams are using it. I used to hate it in high school going up against teams that used the double wing offense. As a LB all you can see is people crossing the backfield and guys spinning around in circles. It was frustrating to figure out who had the ball. Fake hand offs, balls snapping to other people, recievers crossing in the backfield. The only good thing in high school was after a while we noticed the the ball was going where the fullback went almost all the time. If you give the lead blocking assignment to a different player on different plays it would be darn near impossible to defend.

Care to enlighten the NFL on how to shut it down?

That's on Greg Blache to find a way to stop it.

The Cleveland Browns actually used it last year before Miami did, and used it again against the Giants on Monday.

They probably will bring it out against us too.

We did that in high school. I can't believe pro teams are using it. I used to hate it in high school going up against teams that used the double wing offense. As a LB all you can see is people crossing the backfield and guys spinning around in circles. It was frustrating to figure out who had the ball. Fake hand offs, balls snapping to other people, recievers crossing in the backfield. The only good thing in high school was after a while we noticed the the ball was going where the fullback went almost all the time. If you give the lead blocking assignment to a different player on different plays it would be darn near impossible to defend.

Ah, nice to see someone else who understands it :)

Now keep in mind.... good SW coaches are aware that eventually a good DC will notice that the BB (blocking back) will ultimately take them in the direction of the play.

And when an OC notices that.... we have an "adjustment" where the BB goes to the opposite side of the play. Called a "cross" adjustment :)

That's what is beautiful about the offense as well.... there are many adjustments that a coach can make :) The better the coaches... and the smarter the kids (mainly the offensive linemen).... the more unstoppable the offense becomes! :)

BTW, the Double Wing has a QB under centre... the Single Wing is a direct snap :) I had my initiation into football with Double Wing (Markham, Wyatt, etc)... and tried it in my first year coaching... but we were a horrible football team (made up for 5-7 year olds... 1/3rd of my roster... going against 9-11 year olds). So I scrapped it mid-season because it wasn't working -- NOTHING WAS WORKING ON OFFENSE OR DEFENSE THAT YEAR -- and the parents couldn't appreciate the offense and the zero line splits. They feared what they didn't know.

It took awhile to get the parents on board with the SW last year... and it lasted all of 1 practice. Once I implemented 3 plays and ran it against the defense with ease.... they were sold on the gimmicky offense :) And I've been sold ever since I saw my first diagramed SW play.... and have bought damn near every single SW resource available :)

Archived