Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP - Former MVP Shaun Alexander signs with Redskins

HapHaszard

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_10719322

ASHBURN, Va.—Former league MVP Shaun Alexander signed with the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, part of a flurry of roster activity in which the team ditched its punter, shuffled its safeties and displayed coach Jim Zorn's strong ties to his Seattle Seahawks roots.

Alexander, unemployed since being cut by the Seahawks in April, signed a one-year deal to back up NFL leading rusher Clinton Portis. Portis' usual backup, Ladell Betts, sprained his knee in Sunday's 19-17 loss to the St. Louis Rams and is expected to be sidelined two to four weeks.

The Redskins also cut sixth-round draft pick Durant Brooks, who ranks last in the league in punting, and replaced him with former Seattle punter Ryan Plackemeier. Plackemeier won a competition among four free agents flown in to audition at Redskins Park on Tuesday morning.

Brooks was technically listed as "waived-injured" because he has a nagging hip flexor and quad strain in his kicking leg, but Zorn made it clear Monday that Brooks' job was in jeopardy because of performance.

Reed Doughty, the Redskins' starting strong safety at the end of training camp, had his season end when he was placed on injured reserve. Doughty has been experiencing a nerve problem that started in his back and recently caused numbness in one foot. Reed had already lost his starting job to rookie Chris Horton.

To replace Doughty, the Redskins added yet another former Seattle player, safety Mike Green. Little-used safety Justin Hamilton was also released.

A few years ago, a Portis-Alexander backfield would have been a bit much for any team to handle—as both were considered among elite backs in the NFL. Now Alexander, 31, was simply looking for work.

Alexander rushed for 1,880 yards in his 2005 MVP season, but a cracked bone in his left foot ruined his 2006 season (896 yards) and continued to hamper him—along with a broken left wrist—in 2007 (716 yards). This year, the Seahawks decided he was no longer worth the eight-year, $62 million contract he signed after the MVP year.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

I don't like this move at all. He was released for a reason' date=' and three other clubs passed him over, not a good sign at all. I think he's lost a step, and he's going to be a big disappointment here.[/quote']

He was released because he was hurt. Now he's healthy.

:whoknows:

I don't like this move at all. He was released for a reason' date=' and three other clubs passed him over, not a good sign at all. I think he's lost a step, and he's going to be a big disappointment here.[/quote']

He's a backup, and a short-term solution. He's not here to get to the Pro Bowl.

Quit getting your panties in a bunch.

EDIT: Besides the fact that if he couldn't move and run, he wouldn't have been signed. I mean, I know the coaches aren't as knowledgeable and insightful as you, but since you probably couldn't make the workout, they had to do the best they could without you.

yeah, really nothing to get excited about. Alexander was at his best because he ran behind an awesome line. That being said our line is awesome so maybe he'll have a little resurgance. When Betts comes back though its back to bench with him and a new team next year. At least we didn't trade a 3rd rounder a-la TJ Duckett. Low risk, high reward. (speaking of low risk-high reward, if Erasmus James couldn't crack the starting line up with Taylor out and hurting then probably zippy chance he is on the roster next year.)

Considering that Betts is supposed to be out 2-4 weeks, I think it was a smart move to bring in someone that is already somewhat familiar with the plays. I'm sure he'll be 3 on the depth chart this Sunday, but will get some considerable time backing up Portis before Betts returns. Veteran minimum makes it a low risk move, and I personally am okay with this decision.

Well, weclome aboard Shaun. I have seen your talent first hand back when you were really applying it and you were top drawer. I hope you have your head on straight and are ready to go to work. :)

If so, you will find a good gome here--good luck, and play hard for DC!!:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky

I totally agree. I think he's going to be a terrible spell back for CP. I think Rock would have done fine. It also would have given Thomas a chance to return some kicks. :2cents:

Assuming Betts is back in three or so weeks this will be a stop cap measure. Rock will play this weekend behind Portis and Alexander might get a couple of touches at best.

We are asking Alexander to provide some backup touches only and that is if he can beat out Rock, our number 3 RB. If he fails he will be cut in a couple of weeks and will be done as an NFL player.

I am more worried about the new punter and new safety. Those are rest of the season issues.

This move was made for one reason only. Betts is hurt and will be out for a few weeks. I for one think this is a good move. He didn't cost much and if he doesn't work out we can cut him when Betts comes back. With that being said this team didn't get any better with this pick up. Portis is still the heart of the team and leads the league in yards. This will help CP when it comes to the end of the season. To tell you guys the truth I think getting another punter made us a better team other than picking up Shaun. Either way this was a smart and good move by the Skins front office.

He's a backup, and a short-term solution. He's not here to get to the Pro Bowl.

Quit getting your panties in a bunch.

EDIT: Besides the fact that if he couldn't move and run, he wouldn't have been signed. I mean, I know the coaches aren't as knowledgeable and insightful as you, but since you probably couldn't make the workout, they had to do the best they could without you.

I agree with what you had to say about Alexander.

But, why is it that whenever someone here disagrees with the popular thought, there are a few here who will pounce all over them, and use terms like "quit getting your panties in a bunch"?

I mean, the guy just voiced his opinion, and it just so happened to be different from yours. Are the panty cracks and all of the sarcasm really necessary?

I guess that I need to get my panties out of a bunch now. Huh?:)

Shaun is good enough to be #2 for a month. I mean he can't be any worse than Betts at picking up the blitz... he'd have to tackle JC himself to be worse.

Nice one.

I don't see this being that bad of a move. He is familiar with the offense, he is only 31, and we aren't asking him to be an every down back. I'm more excited about the punter and safety moves. They say field position is key. They say..........

Archived