Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Skins Likely To Sign Alexander, Punter Today (Update: Doughty to IR) MERGED

Jofizz

By Jason La Canfora | October 14, 2008; 2:13 PM ET

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/skins_intend_to_sign_alexander.html#more

Skins Likely to Sign Alexander, Punter Today

Shaun Alexander's workout went well and the Redskins will offer him a one-year, veteran minimum contact, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

The former Seattle Seahawks running back is still in town and the Redskins have yet to submit a contract to his agent, according to sources, but Washington intends to sign him and barring an increased salary demand, which seems unlikely given how long Alexander has been unsigned, the deal should be announced by 4 p.m. today.

The Redskins are still deliberating on whom to release to make room for Alexander, but team sources indicated safety Justin Hamilton is likely to be the player let go.

Alexander, a former MVP who has been slowed by injuries in recent years, was passed over by other teams during the offseason and preseason, but has strong ties to Coach Jim Zorn and running backs coach Stump Mitchell. With back-up tailback Ladell Betts likely out a month with hamstring and knee strains (and a minimum of two weeks), the Redskins wanted to improve their depth at the position.

The Redskins mulled other options at running back, including signing former Redskin Marcus Mason from Baltimore's practice squad, but Alexander has been an elite runner and the team was satisfied with his conditioning and ability to contribute after a long layoff. Alexander did not participate in any club's training camp after being released by Seattle following last season.

Washington did not bring in any other running backs for visits; four punters and a free-agent long snapper to help deliver balls to the punters during their competition were brought in.

The Redskins worked out four punters today, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, including Josh Miller, Ryan Plackemeier, and Waylon Prather and sent Miller and Plackemeier for physicals.

The Skins will sign one of those veterans today, with a decision expected around 4 p.m. and that punter will get a roster spot vacated by Durant Brooks.

Brooks will either be waived, placed the injured-reserve list or reach an injury settlement, according to sources. MIller is the more experienced punter; Plackemeier has ties to the staff from his time punting in Seattle.

UPDATE:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/10/hamilton_cut_says_doughty_will.html

Defensive back Justin Hamilton said he was released today, and he added that safety Reed Doughty would be placed on injured reserve. Hamilton said he didn't know the extent of Doughty's injury until today.

The Seattle to DC pike is open.

I kinda wish it were closed.

Maybe he has something left, but, as a viewer of every Seattle game for the last four years, I think he's done. He's better when angry, so I expect him to start fast if we give him holes. Oh well, just a stop-gap player for the min.

The Seattle to DC pike is open.

I kinda wish it were closed.

Maybe he has something left, but, as a viewer of every Seattle game for the last four years, I think he's done. He's better when angry, so I expect him to start fast if we give him holes. Oh well, just a stop-gap player for the min.

When the man is on a tear, he will eat you alive.

Does he have any of that left? I think a vet minimum contract is worth the risk, don't you?

I am not overly excited about the Alexander signing, the passing game will be familiar to him but aren't we still using Gibbs running game? I personally don't think he would have been unemployed for as long as he was if he still had "it". Whatever it is.

If Doughty and Brooks go to the IR, will anyone have to be cut?

JLC reported that Hamilton has been cut, so I doubt Brooks will go on IR. Considering how relatively minor his injury is, I thought that was unlikely anyways.

Course, now it makes us very thin at Safety with just three guys on the roster.

Jason

Archived