Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where was the deep safety when Torrance got beat?

SkinzFoLife

I didn't get to hear all of the Blaches interview on the post game live show so I don't know if they addressed it. Why the hell was Torrance 1 on 1 with one of the fastest players in the league with no deep safety help?

Landry has been play 25 yards off the ball all season when what happened on that play?

I know I saw Horton blitzing, but why we didn't have someone playing deep was bit odd.

A lot of people are ripping Torrence, and that is short-sighted. He actually had good position on that play. He was out ahead of the receiver on the route.The ball was underthrown, and there was nothing he could do about it.

While I wouldn't blame him for that coverage, I do question why he was on the St. Louis side of the field earlier in a confrontation with Rams' head coach Jim Haslett. Haslett ended up having to be restrained after Torrence said something to him.

Did anybody hear what that was about, or what precipitated it?

A lot of people are ripping Torrence, and that is short-sighted. He actually had good position on that play. He was out ahead of the receiver on the route.The ball was underthrown, and there was nothing he could do about it.

While I wouldn't blame him for that coverage, I do question why he was on the St. Louis side of the field earlier in a confrontation with Rams' head coach Jim Haslett. Haslett ended up having to be restrained after Torrence said something to him.

Did anybody hear what that was about, or what precipitated it?

Position is one part, using your neck to locate the ball is also key to pass defense. Coverage is great, but you have to make the play and defend in that situation.

I haven't heard any details about the coaching of that play.

In Torrence's defense, he was playing great defense on that play. It was a terrible pass that was underthrown, and since Torrence never turned to look at the ball, Avery ran back to come to the ball and just made a play on the ball.

We shouldn't have been in that position to begin with.

Position is one part, using your neck to locate the ball is also key to pass defense. Coverage is great, but you have to make the play and defend in that situation.

I haven't heard any details about the coaching of that play.

Even Torrence didn't seem to know what it was about. At least he made it seem that way in his interview.

Better question is why cant an NFL CB turn around?

Just woeful play on his part. Absolutely woeful....such a badly thrown ball too.

It's not that easy to turn around find the ball, stop yourself and make the play, all while your going full speed. All while trying to stay with a guy who can also run a 4.4 40.

It really isn't.

The only thing Torrence did wrong was not get his head around and find the ball. However, Torrence had great position on the WR, the ball was underthrown and the WR made a great adjustment to catch the pass. It is not fair for people to blame the game on Torrence. The game seemed to be over before the last seconds. Our team really had no fire and we were playing without any intensity. Blame the O-line for horrible pass protection, blame fumbles, blame Kendall for that idiotic mistake, blame Jansen for never blocking, but don't blame a CB who had great position on a WR that happened to turn his body and make a great catch on a badly thrown pass. I don't think Torrence is a star CB by any means, but different facets of our team contributed 10000 times more to our loss than he did. We should have never been in that position at the end of the game in the first place. If we were playing the kind of football we did against Philly and Dallas we would have beaten the Rams by 40 points.

It's not that easy to turn around find the ball, stop yourself and make the play, all while your going full speed. All while trying to stay with a guy who can also run a 4.4 40.

It really isn't.

Agreed.

And the opposite could have happened on that play as well. Bulger could have over-thrown the ball (or a perfect pass), and while Torrence was turning around he gets beaten over the top.

Torrence had great coverage and basically did what he could. :2cents:

In Torrence's defense, he was playing great defense on that play. It was a terrible pass that was underthrown, and since Torrence never turned to look at the ball, Avery ran back to come to the ball and just made a play on the ball.

I think that's the part that bothers most people, right or wrong.

Better question is why cant an NFL CB turn around?

Just woeful play on his part. Absolutely woeful....such a badly thrown ball too.

The poorly thrown, underthrown balls are the hardest to cover. Torrance had perfect coverage on Avery, but no DB can stay on a WR forever. The problem was the blitz wasn't done as called; had it been done correctly, Bulger would have, likely, would have had to throw sooner. The other issue was that they sent 3 WRs deep (the 999 play), and Landry can't provide back-up on all 3 receivers.

Not LT's fault.

I didn't get to hear all of the Blaches interview on the post game live show so I don't know if they addressed it. Why the hell was Torrance 1 on 1 with one of the fastest players in the league with no deep safety help?

Landry has been play 25 yards off the ball all season when what happened on that play?

I know I saw Horton blitzing, but why we didn't have someone playing deep was bit odd.

Landry was playing deep, as he almost always is. He stayed in the deep middle and shaded a little to the right, where Kennison was running a deep slant with Springs and where Holt and Rogers were on the far sideline. I don't know if Landry didn't see Avery, or if he just decided that it was more important to stay in the part of the field where there were two receivers (plus the tight end running underneath in the middle of the field).

I think the Rams just called the right play against our cover-1. If Horton had been back there, he would have been running with Avery, but we decided to blitz the safeties and leave Landry to cover the entire deep zone. At least one receiver was going to be open, and they just made a good play. We blitzed; we got burned ... it happens.

The only thing Torrence did wrong was not get his head around and find the ball. However, Torrence had great position on the WR, the ball was underthrown and the WR made a great adjustment to catch the pass. It is not fair for people to blame the game on Torrence. The game seemed to be over before the last seconds. Our team really had no fire and we were playing without any intensity. Blame the O-line for horrible pass protection, blame fumbles, blame Kendall for that idiotic mistake, blame Jansen for never blocking, but don't blame a CB who had great position on a WR that happened to turn his body and make a great catch on a badly thrown pass. I don't think Torrence is a star CB by any means, but different facets of our team contributed 10000 times more to our loss than he did. We should have never been in that position at the end of the game in the first place. If we were playing the kind of football we did against Philly and Dallas we would have beaten the Rams by 40 points.
I'm not sure that this is the thread where Torrence needs defense.

I haven't really seen anyone out right blame the game on Torrence. But come on guys, you say that he was "playing great defense on that play"; well, great defensive coverages are usually able to intercept poorly thrown passes.

Torrence stuck on his man for the most part, but I wouldn't say that he "played great defense".

The poorly thrown, underthrown balls are the hardest to cover. Torrance had perfect coverage on Avery, but no DB can stay on a WR forever. The problem was the blitz wasn't done as called; had it been done correctly, Bulger would have, likely, would have had to throw sooner. The other issue was that they sent 3 WRs deep (the 999 play), and Landry can't provide back-up on all 3 receivers.

Not LT's fault.

nice post, Ernie. Post more. :):cheers:

Not LT's fault.

What can be more difficult is if the receiver doesn't give away the fact that the ball is coming to him. In this case, it seemed as though the receiver gave it away, but not immediately. Torrence did seem to be looking around trying to find the ball, but then the other difficult part comes in. Keeping track of the receiver while doing so. For all he knew, the ball was ahead of him and it certainly wouldn't be a good idea to turn and lose track of the receiver in that case. I do think that he could have turned a bit more to find the ball, but that's easier said than done.

Near the very end of the press conference this afternoon Zorn explained what happened.

Moore was assigned to cover the running back coming out of the backfield. Well, the running back stayed in to block one of our blitzing players. Moore was left with no one to cover. Being that he is a rookie he tried to find someone to cover instead of just blitzing himself. Of course, he wasn't deep enough to help out Torrence, and didn't react quick enough to rush the passer.

If he had, the Rams had no one to pick him and he might have gotten to Bulger before he threw the ball. A rookie mistake.

It was single high with Landry in a two deep (single high technique). Horton was in the box blitzing and Moore was lined up about 6-8 yards off the line of scrimmage. Everyone else was in man to man (from what I could tell), and Moore was supposed to follow on a (delayed) blitz behind Horton. Moore did not blitz but instead stood around and looked confused. Had he blitzed like he was assigned to, he'd have forced Bulger to throw the ball much quicker or Moore would've forced a sack IMO. Also, Bulger would've never been able to roll out of the pocket to his right b/c Moore would've been there. What a piss poor mental error by Moore. :(

Archived