Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should there be a change at Punt Returner?

CooL_LiKe_CooLeY

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I know Randle El was pretty impressive in his Steeler days and a little in his first year with us, but seriously...6.8 yard return average? Does anybody else think we should look towards Moss, Thrash, or Cartwright handling the duties? I respect A.R.E but he seems to run more East to West than North and South. We really need help on Punt Returns.

If he would just take off and THEN try to juke guys, instead of dancing around as soon as he gets the ball, there would be a huge improvement. I think Moss would be the best guy back there, but he is way too valuable to get him hurt and tired doing it. One of our younger players should get a shot.

he seems to run more East to West than North and South
He SEEMS to run more East to West?? How about: He DOES run more East to West. He's probably got a 50-yd. punt return average East to West.

Why not put Santana back there? He hasn't been getting the touches on offense lately (and is killing my fantasy team as a result), and I bet he'd love to get some touches elsewhere. We need him to have the ball in his hands.

I voted Thrash for the majority of punt returns.

However, I'm not opposed to putting Santana back there. In fact, one of the punts today was the perfect time to put Moss back there to receive and we didn't and I was just thinking that it was a missed opportunity to try and get even a chance at a change in momentum. Thrash could probably do a better job at picking up a few yards and when we need a potential game changer, put Moss back there. Always.

What I really believe we need is a change in our special teams coach, it seems our punters cant punt no matter how many players we bring in they are horrible in the clutch which isn't all the difficult. ARE is a proven return man, but it looks like he has no lanes set up for returns. I really believe DS has to go, to many of the same problems year in and year out regardless of the players!

With the exception of Suisham, our entire special teams unit needs an overhaul.

Rock Cartwright is an average returner who needs perfect blocking to get any yards and makes boneheaded decisions to come out of the endzone way to much.

ARE is really a waste as a punt returner and does not bring much to the table anymore.

Our blocking for kick returns sucks (see Rock Cartwright above).

Our coverage of kicks has been terrible. Opponents are averaging about 16 yards per punt return on us.

And of course there's Vinny's boy at Punter.

Special Teams is a mess right now.

Have you watched a punt return lately? El gets ZERO help from the rest of ST. There are constantly 2-3 players w/in a year or two of him by the time he even gets the ball. Yesterday the one time he did break for a few good yards, he got trucked by one of his own teammates. :doh:

Anyway, the point is that his jukes and twists don't really help him, but our coverage is complete crap.

With the exception of Suisham, our entire special teams unit needs an overhaul.

Rock Cartwright is an average returner who needs perfect blocking to get any yards and makes boneheaded decisions to come out of the endzone way to much.

ARE is really a waste as a punt returner and does not bring much to the table anymore.

Our blocking for kick returns sucks (see Rock Cartwright above).

Our coverage of kicks has been terrible. Opponents are averaging about 16 yards per punt return on us.

And of course there's Vinny's boy at Punter.

Special Teams is a mess right now.

I was pretty much gona' post the same, although, whilst taking your point, maybe's a tad harsh on Rock as a KO return man. He may not have killer speed, but his commitment, toughness and overall return ratio is worthy of note.

This all ultimately leads back to one man, Danny Smith. If all the facets of special teams are so bad, bar Suisham on the year, then questions need to be asked as much of the position coach as the players.

Hail.

He SEEMS to run more East to West?? How about: He DOES run more East to West. He's probably got a 50-yd. punt return average East to West.

LOL! I feel your frustration. But he did decent job on that one where Moore decides to knock him down. I'm sure Moore didn't expect Randle El to be that far up the field.

I see no reason why we dont have devin thomas returning both kicks and punts. you see so many first and second year guys making an impact returning kicks and punts. And its not like Thomas hasnt returned kicks in the past. He set the freakin big ten record for kick off return yards.

Danny Smith is not looking too good right now.

Our coverage is weak at best.

Our returns are weak at best.

Our Punter looks like a nightmare.

Our kicker was blasting them into the endzone for the first two games and now WTH happened. He's booting it out of bounds and short.

Theres one constant in this equation and thats the coach Danny Smith.

I'm sorry, but with the punt coverage we had in that game, you could put Devin Hester back there and we wouldn't see more than 1 or 2 yards on the return. ARE was covered up on every single kick within a second. I'm all for putting someone back there with better moves because we have the personnel, but put blame where blame is due on this one.

Its the blocking & coverage that has been lacking. When ARE has a little time and is not run into by his own blockers he does fine. Blocking & coverage on KR has been terrible also. Danny Smith needs to step his game up and start getting these guys to produce.

Archived