Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: NFL players talk about the election

bubba9497

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Apf2REFcivR9eMPpD5NuSzub2bYF?slug=ap-politicalfootball-quotes&prov=ap&type=lgns

NFL players talk about the election

By The Associated Press

Comments from NFL players about the presidential race between Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama:

“For an NFL player it’s easy to say we want lower taxes, but I think there are a lot of people who say that really hasn’t helped and maybe it’s time for a change. Maybe we need to change something up and just try. It’s tough. There are equal arguments on both sides.”—New York Giants center Shaun O’Hara, who declined to state his preference.

“Most (athletes), I think, are probably more left-leaning, probably Democrats. My wife’s family is pretty conservative and they were always telling me, ‘Once you make it big, you’re going to vote Republican.’ And I say, ‘I promise you, that will never happen.”’—New Orleans Saints linebacker Scott Fujita, an Obama supporter.

“I think Obama is more than just a guy in a suit. I’m serious. No knock on McCain. I just feel like he’s more than that. When I look at McCain I’m not real impressed. He just seems like a guy wearing a suit. And we’ve got a guy wearing a suit in office right now.”—Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman Artis Hicks.

“I think a lot of guys on the team look at the tax implications of the election, I know I do. There are lot of things (Obama) is going to do that will affect us and the money we make. That has an overbearing effect on the players.”—Giants punter Jeff Feagles, a McCain supporter.

“You know what, educated people vote for their ideals. Greedy people vote with their pockets. And that’s all I have to say. You take it how you want it. If McCain holds ideals that I find that I particularly like, I’m going to vote for McCain. On the other hand if Barack has ideas that I like, I’m going to vote for Barack. So I’m not tipping my hand, but I think that I, as a high-earning American should pay my taxes and pay my fair share.”—Buffalo Bills right tackle Langston Walker, who declined to state his preference.

“I’m always surprised when I’m talking to someone I consider to be more liberal, and then we’re talking about money and everything changes. I don’t say anything. I just scratch my head.”—Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams, an Obama supporter.

“I’m going to stick with my party lines. I’m a big supporter, and I’m a fan. I think anytime you get somebody like that, I think she’s a real person, somebody you can reach out and touch and relate with. That’s important. She’s an Alaskan 100 percent of the way, so she’ll be a lot of fun.”—Green Bay Packers guard and Alaska native Daryn Colledge, on vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin.

“Now that I do make a Red State income, I’m definitely going Red State. It plays a big part in it, but not the total part. I think the politics coming up in this election, experience is really my biggest factor in this one. I’ve read some books on McCain, I’ve read some on Obama, and I just think (McCain) offers the country a good choice for someone who has experience in a lot of different matters.”—Washington Redskins right tackle Jon Jansen.

“It is hard. We’re all right in the middle. We all got family members that are not doing so well. Democrats would help them out, but Republicans would help us out.”—Redskins defensive end Phillip Daniels, an Obama supporter.

“I’m always surprised when I’m talking to someone I consider to be more liberal, and then we’re talking about money and everything changes. I don’t say anything. I just scratch my head.”—Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams, an Obama supporter.

:silly: <<<< He looks like Ricky Williams

I'm sure Ricky has lots of things that confuse him. ols

“It is hard. We’re all right in the middle. We all got family members that are not doing so well. Democrats would help them out, but Republicans would help us out.”—Redskins defensive end Phillip Daniels, an Obama supporter.

So Obama would help regular families and McCain would help NFL superstars [/spin]

Interesting that many of these athletes make their decisions - regardless of whom they support - in a fairly measured fashion, while much of the electorate treats the Presidential contest like a sporting event: no ambiguity, no reason, taunting the opponent.

Archived