Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What about Mark Rypien?

@DCGoldPants

George Michael on the 5:55 sports report did a little thing on where Mark is now and what happened to him. I remembered that he quit football because his son was dying and did die after a battle with cancer. When he was off the Falcons wanted him to join the roster because he's good for an emergency, but since his son was so sick then he didn't do it. Now he's back in shape (they say) and wants to come back to the NFL to help a young QB or join a roster that could use him. Well, for league min....why not? He can hand of a ball to Davis as a 3rd QB. He could sit there and teach Husak while Marty is dealing with Jeff. You guys think he would be a good fit for a 3rd QB? maybe 2nd?

Well if he can pass a physical, played at minimum, has some remaining talent, and could run marty's O, I'd say yes over most of the QB's out there. And that includes Dilfer. Yea, dilfer won a SB but it was more in spite of Dilfer than due to Dilfer.

But he's an ex-skin who won a SB so of course I'd like to see him. Don't tell me Sage is better than Ryp - I have to see Sage before I don't consider him a wasted draft pick. Sage has practice squad/nfl europe written all over him.

It looks as if now barring injury the Skins are not going to add another quarterback.

I agree that based on the scouting reports that Rosenfels doesn't look like much in terms of starting material.

He sounds more like a #6 or #7 project like Joey Hamilton than a guy who should have been taken at #4.

If my grasp of the "modified WCO" is remotely close to reality, seems to me it's best suited to a mobile guy with good short touch. See Joe Montana at one end of the spectrum, perhaps the latest incarnation of Rich Gannon on the other. Nobody confuses Elvis Grbac with either of those guys, I guess, but even he seems to be pretty proficient at throwing underneath.

Hard to envision a 38-year-old Ryp being particularly mobile any more ... and I still cringe at the memory of what happened to his throwing motion on short stuff starting the year after SB XXVI. Remember? Even at his best, ten years ago (!), Ryp's best came off the seven-step drop and the downfield ball.

Much as I'd love to see the guy catch a break in his life ... I have my doubts about his being a good fit here.

Rypian does not fit in with this offense. He was particularly accurate on the deep ball, but that is not the name of the game here now. He could probably have run Turner's offense as well as Brad Johnson did last year, but things have changed.

I think if Rip really wants to play again, he will wait until the season starts and injuries occur. I see him coming back on that basis to a team he could help. Folks like he, Jeff Hosstettler, Boomer and other QBs out of the game a while would only come back for a big contract and a chance to perform again. It's hard to think they would come back for a third QB position, but then, who knows?

Archived