Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Hunter Green (The People Behind a Conservation Success Story)

Ax

It's a shame that it's the numbnuts and dimwits involved with hunting that get most of the press concerning the subject. I enjoyed this article from yesterday, as all hunters would. Hunters definitely do more for conservation than every protest group combined. Didn't see it posted, and thought others might learn something they didn't know.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/14/AR2008091401640.html

Nice article. I've proudly paid my license fees, habitat access and improvement fee, migratory permit fee, duck stamp and habitat management fee for at least the last ten years. I've gotten probably two dozen meals out of the deal. Probably one of the highest tax rate around -figured dollar per dollar on a particular activity, but I'm happy to pay it. I get something of immeasurable worth back. More so the opportunity to see the wildlife than to take it home with me.

As a dyed in the wool bleeding heart liberal fanatic, I have no beef with hunters. Good for them.

Same here.

I do have some disagreement with this statement in the OP: "Hunters definitely do more for conservation than every protest group combined."

Some of those awful protest groups have accomplished quite a bit of conservation too.

yeah I generally like the idea of hunters, at the very least hunters appreciate our natural resources. I wouldn't mind taxes getting lowered... it does seem to me that hunters have a bad stigma attached to them by the progressive folk.

Sorry, they get zero credit for this.

Supporting conservation only because they want to keep on killing for fun what they "help" protect is not something that should be applauded.

Would they support conservation if hunting was banned?

The answer is a resounding no.

So screw them.

If it were up to me, let them keep their blood money.

Sorry, they get zero credit for this.

Supporting conservation only because they want to keep on killing for fun what they "help" protect is not something that should be applauded.

Would they support conservation if hunting was banned?

The answer is a resounding no.

So screw them.

If it were up to me, let them keep their blood money.

Just as unethical, careless hunters give the rest of us a bad name, so it is with some vegetarians who spout off about that which they know, nothing.

I do have some disagreement with this statement in the OP: "Hunters definitely do more for conservation than every protest group combined."

Some of those awful protest groups have accomplished quite a bit of conservation too.

As the OP, I admit my statement is based on my own perceptions, and information I've read over the years, that is obviously slanted towards my assertion. The fact that we pay specific taxes that go directly towards benefiting many aspects of nature, enjoyed by all nature lovers, not just hunters, is not in dispute, however.

Also, I didn't say that protest groups didn't do any good things. I just said we do more, and I believe it.

And, it was you who called them "awful" not me. Seems you have a preconceived notion of these folks.;)

Archived