Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tennessean.com: Young indicated to those around him he didn't want to play football

ciscofan

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080910/SPORTS01/809100426/1027

Young’s mother says Titans QB needs ‘love and support’

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Felicia Young has seen her son experience the ups and downs that go with being a football star.

On Monday night, she saw 25-year-old Vince Young sink to his lowest point. It ended with Coach Jeff Fisher calling Metro Police to search for her son for over four hours, and opened the biggest window yet into the emotional and troubled side of the Titans quarterback.

A psychologist was among those who met with Young at his Brentwood home on Monday, and what she concluded and told team officials led to a bizarre, 24-hour period that ended just after midnight Tuesday morning. That’s when Fisher met with Young and police at Baptist Sports Park.

Felicia Young said her son has grown weary of all the negativity he faces as an NFL star. On Monday, he indicated to those around him he didn’t want to play football any more.

“Vince has gone through a whole lot as a young person,’’ Felicia Young said. “And I think he has done pretty well up to this point. But it is hard, all he is going through right now. He’s hurting inside and out.

“But he will be fine if people are prayerful and help my baby boy out. He is a young man. He just needs a lot of love and support.’’

Well, if he's still thinking retirement, then the Titans really need to think about moving forward. Yes, keep him on the team, make sure he gets some help for whatever mental issues he has, but they've got to move on, and with the signing of Chris Simms, it looks like they are.

Good luck to Young. Some people aren't cut out for this game. He can still take his millions from his contract and endorsements and live out a sheltered life and not have to work another day if he invests and manages his money properly.

I hope nothing bad happens to the guy, but I can't say I feel the least bit of sympathy for his plight (other than whatever medical problem(s) he may have).

I'm sure he loves the fame, adulation, riches, and trappings that come with being in his position. The criticism and scrutiny are the flip side of it - you gotta take the good with the bad. I don't know what his childhood was like, but there are many people in far worse situation than he currently is. I'm certain that he feels an enormous amount of pressure, but, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Maybe retirement is the right course of action for him, though there is no way he's going to walk away from it and not come back.

Mike and Mike were saying something this morning that I agreed with, that Young always seemed like a cool, calm, and collected guy during his time at Texas and coming into the NFL, but maybe it was because he had never faced any adversity. Once he got to the NFL and faced challenges, he may not have had any clue how to handle them.

I hope he gets his head straight and then he should switch to WR.

That's what I was going to say. He was an OK QB at Texas. His athletic ability against college players hid his flaws as a passer. They've been exposed in the NFL. He could play WR with his speed and size. He could be another Plexico Burress.

Unfortunate, if any of this is true as the previous time it came out he wanted to retire after his rookie season, the young man needs help(if there is a psychological issue there) not ridicule. If it's just not being able to handle adversity/boos he's in the wrong profession and needs to toughen up a bit. In either case I wish/pray the best for dude.

The Tennessee area - just like, in some respects, the Washington area - is cursed with fans that have so little football knowledge that their first instinct is to blame the QB for everything that's wrong with the team. The fact is, we will never really know how good a QB Vince Young is until the corps of guys he is throwing to is on par with what the rest of the league has, and you'd be lying to yourself to say that this is the case.

Here's one of the things that's kind of messed up about the draft. The best players go to the worst teams. When you're at a school that was as dominant in the NCAA as Texas or USC, sometimes it's hard. Those schools in particular send a lot of pro-ready guys to the NFL. I think Vince was the better quarterback between him and Leinart, but perhaps that it would have been better for his career for him to go to a team other than the Titans, who don't seem to want to take a shot on a gamebreaking WR to give him someone to throw to. Heck, Tennessee doesn't really have a 'big' target, either. I thought that VY needed to be out of Tennessee on the first thing smoking once the Titans failed to grab Limas Sweed this year. Honestly, there was no excuse for it. I liked the Chris Johnson pick at #24. Smart, although a bit of a shocker. But they failed miserably to upgrade the WR position this year. In fact, they actually cut a guy that I think would have become a solid WR in this league, given time to develop - Roydell Williams. With as many receivers that were taken in the draft this year - more than 30 - it just seems inexcusable to me that a FO that knew about the lack of depth at the position this year would permit an opportunity like that to pass them by.

The reason Vince Young doesn't want to play football right now is that he knows that, barring a trade or him being cut (either of which would KILL the Titans with cap penalties) or retirement, he's stuck, for at least the next few years, on a team that's so enamored with their defense that they don't recognize that a win is dictated by being able to put more POINTS on the board than your opponent.

I know the Lions' line isn't the best thing in the world, but can you envision VY throwing to Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams, instead of Brandon Jones, Justin McCareins, and...who the hell are their other receivers? Kitna's 36 and gets knocked on his backside that many times a game, but he keeps coming back because having two guys like this to throw to is good for about 4,000 yards a season and 25 TDs.

The Tennessee area - just like, in some respects, the Washington area - is cursed with fans that have so little football knowledge that their first instinct is to blame the QB for everything that's wrong with the team.

What do you know about the Tennessee area?

And I would just point out that the Boston area is cursed with halfwit pats fans morons who really do think that Bellicheck has a golden playbook. My are they in for a rude awakening when they see him without Brady.

Nashville, just like the DC Metro area, is blessed with incredibly knowledgable football fans who know that in today's NFL, if you don't have a QB, you're just :jerk:

Nashville, just like the DC Metro area, is blessed with incredibly knowledgable football fans who know that in today's NFL, if you don't have a QB, you're just :jerk:

Good football area, Tennessee.

What they don't understand is losing seasons in the NFL.

It's still a college football state....sports talk shows interviewing high school recruits.

They are used to winning year after year because of superior talent, which isn't often the case in the NFL.

Tennessee is still a college sports state.

Archived