Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Mann asked Blatche in post-game.

smoke-n-mirrors

In the post-game interview Charles Mann asked Blatche about something I have been thinking for a while, the defensive scheme. I understand that we don't want to have all kinds of crazy schemes that the players can't learn. But if we don't have anything that can confuse the quarterback we'll get picked apart all year. Any good OC can change a gameplan if they know what is coming. The Giants did it perfectly to Zorn and JC last night. I know we don't have the same personel to create a pass rush as the Giants but we have to figure something out because when we face a good QB it will not be pretty!

:gaintsuck

I thought the D adjusted pretty well as the night went on. :whoknows:

I don't know if you noticed, but the Giants never even threatened to score in the second half, and if the DBs could actually catch, they may have only gotten about 10 points.

Seriously, other than Jacobs and Burress, who are matchup problems for any D, the Redskins D acquitted themselves pretty well, considering they were handcuffed to an offense that gave it them no help.

I was actually pleased with our D scheme... we blitzed both safeties (separately), LL got his hands on eli, doughty forced him out of the pocket into an off balanced throw (which I believe he completed)... it's a cover 2 which isn't going window dress itself too much... the one thing it really relies on though is a 4 man rush... we had a 3 man rush last night... taylor simply wasn't a factor unless eli was looking for his 3rd option and running around...

if carter and taylor can draw some doubleteams, our DTs will get less resistance up front and there won't be so much pressure on our DBs to cover for so long...

and if our O can stay on the field for a few more downs, we won't have guys sucking for air as bad as they were in that 1st half... I'm a lot more worried about our Oline than our D... just my opinion..

I don't know if you noticed, but the Giants never even threatened to score in the second half, and if the DBs could actually catch, they may have only gotten about 10 points.

Seriously, other than Jacobs and Burress, who are matchup problems for any D, the Redskins D acquitted themselves pretty well, considering they were handcuffed to an offense that gave it them no help.

Yeah, but they still gave up 154 yards on the ground.

Clearly there was an improvment in the way the defense performed in the second half, but I'd be cautious about interpreting this. The Giants defence was able to comfortably cope with our offence last night, we caused them no trouble for the whole game. In essence, the Giants were able to establish a lead and sit on it. Had our offence been able to put them under pressure in the second half, it woud have been interesting to see the way our defence coped with them.

There was some poor tackling, but part of that was because of Jacobs being so big. Doesn't excuse it, but that was a problem. More penetration was needed to get him stopped before he got started. I could tell almost immediately if it was going to be a big gain or not, if he hits the hole at full speed its going to be hard to bring him down. If the gaps were maintained then he was contained.

It would make me feel better if Jacobs was the only one who tore them up, but the other backs still had about 50 yards combined and got a decent chunk of ypc as they went. I suppose that that issue comes with the D line and not being able to hold their ground, and this is where we miss Daniels.

I do think they adjusted well in the 2nd half though, and even early on to stand up to make sure the Giants never got another touchdown. I hate bend but don't break style defenses, because eventually they do break, but that's basically what they did last night.

Not having Springs hurt big time. He would've played against Burress I think (if I'm wrong, please correct me). Taylor was minimalized out there, but hopefully this long week will help out his knee so he can be more of a threat.

Blitzes early on seemed very easy to spot, but they got better as the game went on I thought.

I'd give the defense a C.

Yeah, but they still gave up 154 yards on the ground.

That was honestly my only issue with the D, and the dropped INT by our secondary, which I feel has been haunting us for years. Rogers, and Smoot need to start making plays when they hit them right in the hands. That sometimes can win you or lose you a ball game.

Otherwise I was pleased with the way the defense adjusted to what the Giatns were doing.

The defense was fine. They started off rough but Blache adjusted and held the Giants score less in the second half. The offense is what I am worried about. The O had no rhythm. The play calling was bad, and the time management was criminal. The time management is actually what bothered me most. I mean having no two minute offense is pitiful. Especially when the defense was stopping the Giants for the entire second half.

The defense played great in the second half, but it seemed like it was more because of individual talent than the adjustments on defense itself.

We weren't out there dictating to the offense, it was too much passive read and react, and against a good offense that's not going to cut it.

I honestly dont think our defense played well. In the beginning the Giants were moving at will against us and we couldn't stop them. We get burnt in coverage consistently and offered no real pass rush. We were just lucking that the giants couldnt put into into the endzone more. the score was not an indication of how we played, it was a lot worse. In the 2nd half our defense might of "played" better but the Giants moved the ball against us when the had to and their offense was never completely shut down. very disappointing.

The D gave up allot of yards and the Giants converted 50% of the third downs and the Skins gave up over 155 yds rushing. The Giants didnt need to score in the 2nd half - they sustained drives just long enough to run the clock out and pin the Skins deep.

The D did ok but NY's rushing game just beat them down.

Did you actually listen to the interview? You would've gotten your answer if you'd have listened to Blache's response. I'm not going to type every quote, but ask yourself why Eli had to call timeout twice in the first half. He was confused. We do disguise our blitzes, and you don't want to be doing a bunch of stunting against a team that pounds the ball the way the Giants do. They scored 1 TD, what's the concern here?

Did you actually listen to the interview? You would've gotten your answer if you'd have listened to Blache's response. I'm not going to type every quote, but ask yourself why Eli had to call timeout twice in the first half. He was confused. We do disguise our blitzes, and you don't want to be doing a bunch of stunting against a team that pounds the ball the way the Giants do. They scored 1 TD, what's the concern here?

I never said the D played bad last night, if you would have read my posts. And Blatche never actually answered the question, were you listening to the interview? Mann basically had to come out and say that Blatche is expecting us to just win one on one battles and execute. 1 TD is not bad, but 354 yards against a less than stellar Eli Manning is something to be concerned with!

yeah, actually the defense was the bright spot of the game. They only gave up about 98 yards in the second half, so its obvious that Blache and Co. made the necessary adjustments. Actually this is why the loss is so frustrating, because if the offense would have made half the plays they were supposed to, then we could have pulled this thing out.

Archived