Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Morton A Redskin!!!!

TC4

Originally posted by frankbones

Yeah, I know. Pretty much just wishful thinking on my part.

You know, this years draft is going to suck. I just hope my Buckeyes are well represented. (Maybe Doss falls down to us in the 2nd). Though that is more wishful thinking on my part

Are you kiddin me? We have had our draft. We got Coles, Canidate, Morton, and Bowen. That is pure quality!!:D

from Washington Post

"Morton played tailback and wide receiver in college at USC while Hue Jackson, now the Redskins' offensive coordinator, was the school's offensive coordinator"

he will be used in many ways-Start him working with Stock now and get him used to returning punts!

I think the contract is a little high for Morton, as I've said. I've hoped one guy on the roster could step up and become a player like Morton. But, there's NO denying that Morton is a threat and we lacked that. Now we don't. We should improve substantially in the field position game as teams will keep the ball away from Morton, especially on some crucial returns. Also, with his ability, you can put him in the backfield and create serious mismatches, much like with Canidate. How these guys fit is a open question, but, there's no doubting we now have a lot of players who are very dangerous weapons that teams are going to have some difficulty planning for.

Let's look at the Jets and the Skins

QB: Jets

RB: Jets

WR: Push

OL: Jets

DL: Jets

LB: Jets

DB: Push

ST: Skins

Oh wow I am scared. We are the defending AFC East champions. You guys have sucked for years and now you think a few FAs will win it all? The salary cap will kill you.

Boy those jets fans on Ganggreen.com are pissed. So pissed they are trying to come with sh:t to make themselves feel better. QB I can live with just with Pennington making the playoffs last year, and maybe RB because they have Martin...though I think we have far more depth and speed then the jets...but WR, we have 2 2002 1000 yard receivers....OL....I forgot, Samuels, Jansen, Thomas, and Fiore suck......for the sake of argument I'll dive them DL for now.....LB....ok thats just stupid to say the Jets are better....DB...please, one name CHAMP.

As I previously posted here - this issue was CRYSTAL CLEAR from day one. The NFLMC flat out gave horrendous advice that contradicted the CBA. I don't fault the Jets for following the advice - it's once in a blue moon that such advice is overturned.

Further, the arbitrators final ruling that denied a chance to match was equally horrific. It's not a matter of strict contract interpretation - arbitrators deal in equity, not law. That means that the Jets reliance on the NFLMC should've been considered in weighing a ruling that is FAIR to both parties -- rather than a per se ruling that the matching offer was void.

In fact, I had a personal conversation with Bradway last Wednesday evening at a Jets town hall meeting in which he said that he was assured a 99% chance that the Jets will at, a minimum, have a chance to correctly match. So much for that.

It is interesting how many Skins fans jumped off the Morton bandwagon during arbitration, yet now don't seem to mind overpaying for him. If I were a Skins fan, I wouldn't worry about the high salary and dead money when he voids - it's 100% consistent with your current 3 year plan.

Flow,

There's something else to consider here. The NFL gave such openly bad advice to the Jets and the Jets asked a question that was so clearly unnecessary to be asked, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the arguments the arbitrator ruled on was something akin to collusion.

The arbitrator probably heard something or felt something that led him to believe the Jets were cozy with the league office in such a way as to slow the Snyder march that will change how the league does business and probably felt it was necessary to send a STRONG message here.

The only strong message he could send was, "Ok, you two played your game. Now, you've lost that game." I don't have any idea what went on in that meeting, but, for the Jets to get screwed out of the player like this must have something deeper involved than strict CBA interpretations.

It could though be as simple as Morton didn't sign the deal which means the deal with the Jets was never in place, therefore the offer was never actually matched, but, I wouldn't be surprised if something else surfaces that suggests the arbitrator simply saw collusion going on and wanted to send a message.

I assure you you'll never see a team ask for advice from the NFL without also checking with the NFLPA as well in the future.

As for the dead money after three years, that only comes due if Morton voids. Further, even if he does, he's still only due $1 million. We'll get by :).

I don't think Kenny Watson is the odd man out. Canidate has been assured nothing, he'll compete for the starting spot just like Betts and Watson. And considering how Canidate hasn't shown more on the field than Watson anyway, I think it'll be a nice TC battle for roster spots.

The only reason everyone is jocking Canidate is because of his speed. If he was that great of a running back he would still be a Ram.

Well, I'm not too sure about collusion. I think it was just a hard-nosed arbitrator unable to appropriately evaluate the big picture. It's my understanding that asking for the advice of the NFLMC to the exclusion of that of the NFLPA is fairly commonplace.

The NFLMC approves these contracts, not the NFLPA. The NFLPA will file a grievance over anything and everything - they're not a body to be consulted regarding CBA interpretation, because approval is not in their court.

The unfortunate aspect for the Jets is that the voidable years wasn't even close to a deal-breaker. As you mention, it's only a $1M dead cap hit, and actually a net savings cap wise when salary is subtracted. It was a tangential issue that submarined the entire offer.

Fortunately, all this hooplah was over a mere KR. If the Jets chose to match Coles and their offer was nullified over something like this - then there'd really be something to cry about.

Flowtrain, I understand your position, but look at the big picture.

The Jets were trying to get away with retaining a restricted free agent without matching his entire offer. If the arbitrator gives them another chance to match it opens the door for every team with a RFA that someone signs to a sheet to try and weasel their way out of matching all of the terms because they know they'll get a second chance if they lose arbitration.

This arbitrator sent a clear message: Match the whole contract or lose the player.

The fact that the Jets recieved bad advice from the NFLMC is, as they say, TS.

Big ups.

But I still don't understand -- can someone explain to me how the Redskins are going to absorb the "sizable salary cap hits" that were put in to be so unpalatable to the Jets? Why aren't they also unpalatable to the Skins? I just don't have enough time to pay close attention!

BTW, the Jets should also change their name to the "DHLs" or something, because doesn't an empty Jet carry cargo? :D

Originally posted by Flowtrain

The unfortunate aspect for the Jets is that the voidable years wasn't even close to a deal-breaker. As you mention, it's only a $1M dead cap hit, and actually a net savings cap wise when salary is subtracted. It was a tangential issue that submarined the entire offer.

That's not unfortunate, that's just stupid. It is a relatively small hit - why get cute and exclude the voidable years? Why not just be serious and match the contract from the get-go?

No matter how you slice it, in total, the Jets FO has been asleep this offseason. Bradway can spin away all he wants, but he must feel the heat. He has made some big errors that some foresight would have prevented.

And, can someone explain to me how the players are going to care about this once they get on the field? This grudge match stuff just doesn't fly with me - it's not like Snyder and Bradway will be duking it out.

The real stupidity of the Jet's FO is that the arbitrator indicated that he would have ruled for the Jets if they had just put in a clause that they would match the voidable years if an arbitrator ruled they were material. Other teams have done that in the past and were able to retain their players despite not making an exact match originally.

Well how about that. We get Morton after all.

I'm with those who would have rather had Jets match and keep the pick. We are paying a lot for this guy, so his production last year had better have been him, and not the Jets' excellent blocking on ST.

Originally posted by Bang

Oh joy. Now we have a kickoff returner making 8 million over 3 years (if he voids the last two, which is his option).

Can someone PLEASE remind me how this is GOOD?

Personally, i think the whole morton thing was a smokescreen by snyder,,, He signs this guy, the Jets swear up and down they will do whatever it takes to keep him...he 'botches' the trade with NE for a compensatory pick, and while the jets and the NFL are looking the other way, he snatches coles, and put the jets in a position to have to choose which one of the two to upset their cap with.

I think the jets may have gotten back at us on this one. Those two voidable years at the end of his contract can cause a SIZABLE cap hit. I think they purposely left it out and made Danny eat this guy.

A bad deal. I can't agree with this move being good at all. Way too much money for a kickoff returner,,, WAY too much.

I will remind that aside from his two TDs in the first game of the season, he averaged less than two yards better than Betts did last year.

Yippee Skippy. :doh:

~Bang

wow an intelligent fan here. 1 out of every 50.

I don't see how the jets got screwed. To me they just effed up. I personally would have rather they matched. Morton is a good player and it will be nice to have a feared playmaker on returns. I would have rather seen the money do to the dline however. Between Trung, Johnson, Russell, Betts, Watson, and McCants I think we could have found sufficient returnmen in house. We might have been able to use that 5th to move up a few slots in the second.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that the Jets attempt to undermine the appeals process with a last-minute bribe to Morton backfired on them.

Both sides submit to binding arbitration. Both sides present their cases. Then the Jets attempt to circumvent binding arbitration with a sweetened contract offer. The next day the arbiter announces he won't be needing 10 days to make his decision. When the decision is announced the Jets lose game, set and match.

Maybe its just me, but this Bradway doesn't seem too be much of a poker player.

You guys have to check this crap out... These Jet fans think they deserve an extra draft pick for compensation due to bad advice from the NFL. Talk about sour grapes...

Jets Crying a River

Since they got bad advice and deserve a pick... we deserve to have TB stripped of their SB title and awarded to us, as well as next years, because of bad/biased officiating and negative press against the Skins , as well as now having too many former Jets on our team. ;)

Peace

Archived