Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why the disparity?

D'Pablo

When the preseason started, we were on fire. Jason Campbell looked like a stud in minimal action and so did Collins and Brennan. The D was still atrocious, but the O was producing at every tier. For the past two games, we have been awful in all phases of the game, save portions of our special teams. I'm about to turn on Campbell after having been an adamant supporter and I've never had much faith in Greg Blache as a DC. This looks pretty bad as we enter the season (much like 06' and 01').

What, specifically, has led to this incredible downturn over the past two games? Gameplanning alone doesn't win one-on-one battles, which we've tended to lose as of late. Did the two-a-days finally catch up with our older roster?

Because we played a Colts team that was missing Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, Peyton Manning, etc. and we rationalized our win by saying, "We're missing Landry!"

Because we played a Bills team that sucks.

Because we barely eeked out a win against the Jets thanks to a missed field goal.

71 - 6 happened. I don't care if its preseason' date=' you don't see those numbers and not worry about this team.[/quote']

I don't think any of us know enough behind the scenes to be worried. The team showing what they could do the first few games says that there is something there. With that said, wait and see...wait and see.

So what? Teams have bad starts in games ALL the time in the NFL, that doesn't mean an offense doesn't pick it up say oh, in the 2nd half or instance to win a game.

Point is, maybe it's just me, but I prefer to hold off any judgments until were quite a few games into the regular season.

So what? Teams have bad starts in games ALL the time in the NFL, that doesn't mean an offense doesn't pick it up say oh, in the 2nd half or instance to win a game.

Point is, maybe it's just me, but I prefer to hold off any judgments until were quite a few games into the regular season.

Thats crazy talk. Snap judgements based on 4 plays in August is all that matters.....

I don't think any of us know enough behind the scenes to be worried. The team showing what they could do the first few games says that there is something there. With that said, wait and see...wait and see.

I don't want to burst your bubble... but what did they show the first few games?

all i saw was 2 passes on blown coverage for a TD in the first game. Other than that, we never had a sustained drive down the field. Brennan won all the other games for us in the 2nd half against 3rd stringers.

don't be fooled by the score.. go back and only look at the first quarter stats after the lucky 2 first passes in the opener.

hint... they are not good.

Because we played a Colts team that was missing Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, Peyton Manning, etc. and we rationalized our win by saying, "We're missing Landry!"

Because we played a Bills team that sucks.

Because we barely eeked out a win against the Jets thanks to a missed field goal.

Speaking of Landry, I may have missed it, but did the coaches decide not to play LL tonight? OR is there some lingering injury issues ??

71 - 6 happened. I don't care if its preseason' date=' you don't see those numbers and not worry about this team.[/quote']Damn you got that right, couldn't say it any better than that, I don't care if it's pre-season or not, I always want this team to win, hope it's normal, maybe that's why it's called being a fan, don't know a fan that wants his team to lose in pre..;)

When the preseason started' date=' we were on fire. Jason Campbell looked like a stud in minimal action and so did Collins and Brennan. The D was still atrocious, but the O was producing at every tier. For the past two games, we have been awful in all phases of the game, save portions of our special teams. I'm about to turn on Campbell after having been an adamant supporter and I've never had much faith in Greg Blache as a DC. This looks pretty bad as we enter the season (much like 06' and 01').

What, specifically, has led to this incredible downturn over the past two games? Gameplanning alone doesn't win one-on-one battles, which we've tended to lose as of late. Did the two-a-days finally catch up with our older roster?[/quote']

More plays were added for each preseason game

I'm concerned that the team isn't playing hard enough.

I don't think it's just a coincidence that our line play went down hill fast after the Bugel family tragedy. Zorn could have been trying different situations to gauge reaction. The defense? They aren't tackling very well, that's the problem. They look small. I think we have a pretty small defense. Hopefully getting landry back will beef us up.

But I come back to Zorn, each and every time. And all I know, is that if I were him, I'd want to work on play packages that create drives. And the fact that he hasn't been able to do that worries me just a tad.

Against the Colts and Bills the first team offense looked really good, and that was against first team defenses with just a few missing parts.

So what I really think is, that we dont know Jim Zorn's plan of attack for his first preseason as HC. There's a chance that after the first two wins and after seeing a lot of things not working against the Jets, he could have turn focus on evaluating the roster or the playbook. What "bubble" players should get more opportunity to develop, what plays and formations should be given emphasis to try to make them work, etc., etc.

Perhaps we should get used to it...my guess is that this entire season will be the same. Good stretches mixed with bad. Hopefully the good stretches will be more prominent towards the end of the season to get some momentum heading into '09.

Archived