Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Portis will play on Saturday

THUNDERDOME

http://www.washtimes.com/weblogs/re...2008/Aug/07/cp/

Click link for entire article

Portis will play on Saturday

Redskins 360

Few, if any, NFL players dislike preseaason more than Clinton Portis. But coach Jim Zorn said that CP will play, at least a few snaps, in Saturday's preseason home opener against Buffalo.

This will be Portis' first preseason appearance in four days shy of two years. That was the 2006 preseason opener in Cincinnati. Newly-acquired receiver Brandon Lloyd ran the wrong route (surprise). Mark Brunell threw the ball to the right spot. Bengals cornerback Keiwan Ratcliff picked off the ball and took off before Portis finally chased him down. For his hustle, Portis partially separated a shoulder, missed the rest of preseason and wasn't himself when he returned in September. He was sidelined for all of the 2007 preseason with a sprained knee.

Didn't see this on the first two pages. I think its good to get him out there just for a few plays. At least to get the feel back.

Interesting.

I hear that you have a greater risk to hurt yourself if you DON'T go all out, but that wasn't the case for Portis two years ago.

I hope he's out of the game very quickly. I think if Rock and Betts were healthy Portis would still sit out.

Wouldn't it make more sense for him to play the first 3 or 4 out of 5 preseason games and let him sit the last to make sure he is rested. If he would get hurt, God forbid, then we would want it sooner than later. I'm glad he taking some reps. He needs to get his legs underneathe him.

I don't like it for this game. I wanted to see him in games 2 and 3, where it matters more.

But maybe they will do this game and the 2nd, and not the 3rd, where he would play longer and put him at higher risk with extended playing time.

Would anyone be mad if the same situation came face and Portis refused to make the play? Would anyone be mad if he still took the same route in making the tackle? What do you think coaches will have to say?

IMO no matter what you gotta make the play - you play to win - EVEN PRESEASON!

Has Zorn asked Portis is this is OK with him? :cheers:

He shouldn't have to, in my opinion. Coach's coach, players play. Now, I know you don't want your star running back unhappy, but Clinton has already said that he will do what the coach's want. I think it's good that he get at least a few carries in and get back in that hitting mentality. Let's just hope no freak accidents occur.

Now that is not nice. Where is he playing these days?

He is starting for the Bears.

As funny as that seems, he might do okay under his college coach. You're supposed to throw off-target passes his way and he makes crazy catches. Dealing with those QBs in Chicago is pretty close to what he had in San Fran, lol.

Kind of suprised by this.

Zorn has said that the 4th preseason game(@ Carolina) is when he expects the starters to get the most work.

Figured CP would get his reps then and be done for the rest of the preseason.

But hey, nothing wrong with getting him in there for a series. If nothing else, he can finally hit somebody that isn't on his own team. :)

Archived