Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:A Gunner & a Target;Campbell Is Well Aware of Pressure That Comes as Skins' QB

Shilsu

He is very whiny in the article. He was 1-5 before he hurt his knee. He also glosses over the fact that the team won every game the rest of the regular season and won against teams he lost to earlier in the year after he went down. He looked good in his few attempts last week and needs to do it when it counts.

More importantly, he needs to lead the team to W's period. The team proved they can win without him, so he needs to lead them to W's. Doubling his career wins against the division in the opener would be a good start.

You act as if Campbell is a seasoned vet. There is a learning curve to becoming a starting NFL QB.

You act as if Campbell is a seasoned vet. There is a learning curve to becoming a starting NFL QB.

He is the one acting as if he has done a single thing other than having multiple picks invested in him to deserve to have the starting QB job of the Skins handed to him. JC has done nothing up to this point but cost the Skins W's while he has gained playing experience.

Well, Favre is out of the conference now :)

But yeah, Skins snubs is quite common :(

I do like this quote:

Skins snubs are common because we haven't been a good team. We weren't good in 05 until the final stretch at which point it was too late to really make a push to get players voted into the pro bowl.

Start hot and players will get in.

If Campbell can get us to 11 or 12 or hell even 13 wins, you'll see a pro bowl loaded with skins

There is pretty much no point in responding to SoCal or GregPeck when it comes to Campbell. They have their minds made up. They don't like him. If you don't believe me just go read some of their old posts. It's like debating with a brick wall.

He is the one acting as if he has done a single thing other than having multiple picks invested in him to deserve to have the starting QB job of the Skins handed to him. JC has done nothing up to this point but cost the Skins W's while he has gained playing experience.

Took Peyton, what 6 or 7 years to win a playoff game?

That is usually how it works. You sacrifice some wins in the development of a QB.

Not out of the ordinary at all. :)

Yes, but you expect progression. He finished last year 1-5, beat zero teams that finished above .500 and has 1 career win against the division.

Having said that, the articles regarding his play in camp have been positive and he looked great in the short time he played against the Colts. I just don't think his comments in the article came across well. He needs to perform and not setup excuses. He will be judged on wins, and if that isn't fair, he shouldn't expect to be the starter here.

I've always liked Jasons attitude and character but this came across as whiny to me. Too much plea copping. If thats what he needs to do to have a pro bowl season, then by all means keep it up.

Just a case of being sick and tired of being bashed and now he's going to defend himself. Rightfully so IMO.

That is usually how it works. You sacrifice some wins in the development of a QB.
It is when you want anybody but Jason Campbell to be your QB, then whatever Jason does is a mistake and he should be replaced.

Fixed.

I like the attitude from Jason. Prove the doubters wrong, and fulfill your potential. There are worse motivations. Just looking at how different he already looks after an offseason of work, I think he's got a great shot at taking that next leap. Keep it up JC.

Yes, but you expect progression. He finished last year 1-5, beat zero teams that finished above .500 and has 1 career win against the division.

Having said that, the articles regarding his play in camp have been positive and he looked great in the short time he played against the Colts. I just don't think his comments in the article came across well. He needs to perform and not setup excuses. He will be judged on wins, and if that isn't fair, he shouldn't expect to be the starter here.

Yet its perfectly okay for someone to call Colt Brennan the future of the franchise after a quarters worth of play against 3rd/4th stringers?

No fingers pointed at you, I'm just trying to see if logic applies to this board.

He is very whiny in the article. He was 1-5 before he hurt his knee. He also glosses over the fact that the team won every game the rest of the regular season and won against teams he lost to earlier in the year after he went down. He looked good in his few attempts last week and needs to do it when it counts.

More importantly, he needs to lead the team to W's period. The team proved they can win without him, so he needs to lead them to W's. Doubling his career wins against the division in the opener would be a good start.

The Win/Loss record for QB's is over rated. The last time I checked, its a TEAM game. The quarterback must be put in the position to be successful. The offense must help the defense, the defense helps the offense, and the coaches must manage the game right. BUT...

If you recall, the organization from coaches were horrible!! Gibbs played conservative ball. Saunders had to run a limited playbook and called plays until the red zone when Gibbs would take over. How can you expect an offensive system to work if its being restricted. Thats why Todd Collins was also successful. Gibbs allowed Saunders to call all the plays and utilize the whole playbook with Collins. One man, one system, all four quarters. Collins also had the luxury of healthy receivers returning and the offensive line beginning to gel.

Its not as black and white as a Win/Loss column.

JC doesn't seem to be complaining in my opinion. He simply stating some facts. As stated earlier, Win/Loss records are over rated. Sure he will be judged. But let him be judged on that when given the opportunity to succeed.

Exactly, I think to judge Campbell's future on last year is unfair. The playcalling against NYG in Week 2 set the tone for the season and the lack of actually practicing 2 minute offense hurt Campbell a lot.

I think, we as fans, should give Campbell one more year and see how much he has progressed next off-season. If its clear he's made strides, extend him a few years, if he hasn't progressed at all, let him play out his contract and see how he does the following year - give him a contract or let him walk based on taht.

Yet its perfectly okay for someone to call Colt Brennan the future of the franchise after a quarters worth of play against 3rd/4th stringers?

No fingers pointed at you, I'm just trying to see if logic applies to this board.

The arguments about Jason's play have nothing to do with Colt. If and when Colt gets a shot he will be judged on his play. Nothing wrong with people getting excited about a rookie. Cary Conklin should have been a HOF player based on his preseason play.

The arguments about Jason's play have nothing to do with Colt. If and when Colt gets a shot he will be judged on his play. Nothing wrong with people getting excited about a rookie. Cary Conklin should have been a HOF player based on his preseason play.

Like I said, no fingers pointed at you. But the two played quite equal this past game.

I'm still shocked at the pay disparity. Anybody else think that's a little out of whack? What other team's backup QB - who was signed with he predetermined intention of being the backup - makes more than the designated starter, much less twice what the starter makes?

I've been trying to think of ANY NFL TEAM, past or present, who might have had the same scenario.

I remember that Steve Young was paid pretty well, but certainly not more than Montana.

The only instances where you'd see that would be when a rookie high 1st round pick is designated as the backup while a journeyman vet warms the seat up for him for a year. But that's really not the case here at all.

JC doesn't seem to be complaining in my opinion. He simply stating some facts. As stated earlier, Win/Loss records are over rated. Sure he will be judged. But let him be judged on that when given the opportunity to succeed.

If it is a team game as he claims, then a W is everything. If he is proud of his play in a loss, he doesn't belong on the team. W's are never over rated. A W/L record is everything, particularly when other QBs deliver more W's than JC with the same team.

I'm still shocked at the pay disparity. Anybody else think that's a little out of whack? What other team's backup QB - who was signed with he predetermined intention of being the backup - makes more than the designated starter, much less twice what the starter makes?

I've been trying to think of ANY NFL TEAM, past or present, who might have had the same scenario.

I remember that Steve Young was paid pretty well, but certainly not more than Montana.

The only instances where you'd see that would be when a rookie high 1st round pick is designated as the backup while a journeyman vet warms the seat up for him for a year. But that's really not the case here at all.

Well, we wanted to keep him and teams were willing to offer more.

If it is a team game as he claims, then a W is everything. If he is proud of his play in a loss, he doesn't belong on the team. W's are never over rated. A W/L record is everything, particularly when other QBs deliver more W's than JC with the same team.

Of course, a healthier, less conservative team.

I dont think he once said he was happy with his losses. He stated that he's surprised that if he played well in a loss, but somethings were beyond his control (i.e. defense giving up an ungodly amount of points), that we'd throw him under a bus.

Well, we wanted to keep him and teams were willing to offer more.

I guess. Still seems odd. The only logical explanation I can come up with is that a decade in the NFL + a late season playoff run = a nice payday, regardless of whether you start the following season or not.

Archived