Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:A Gunner & a Target;Campbell Is Well Aware of Pressure That Comes as Skins' QB

Shilsu

A Gunner and a Target

Campbell Is Well Aware of Pressure That Comes as Redskins' Starting QB

By Jason Reid

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, August 7, 2008; Page E01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/06/AR2008080603571_2.html?hpid=moreheadlines&sid=ST2008080603791&pos=

Channel surfing on his car radio last week, Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell stopped when he heard his name. The Redskins were the topic on a sports talk call-in show and Campbell was the focus.

"Some guy [called in and] said, 'Well, if the Redskins start out 1-4, do you throw [backup quarterback] Todd Collins in there?' I just started laughing," Campbell said after a recent practice at Redskins Park. "I thought to myself, 'Darn, you're basically throwing me under the bus by saying it's a one-man show.' It's not a one-man show. It's a team game. What if I play great games and we still don't win? So that's still all on me? I guess that's just the way it is for me."

"People have really made me the goat since last season," Campbell said. "People were saying I was one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL, but then I hurt my knee and I was out the rest of the year. The team wins four games, goes to the playoffs and now I'm the goat.

"If things don't go right, I'm to blame. I can already see I'm to blame for everything, so I'm not trying to worry about anything. I'm just going to go out and have a Pro Bowl-type season and let everything ride."

Throughout the streak and after Collins re-signed, Campbell answered a volley of questions about the surprising play of his backup. Campbell said he felt that some in the media unfairly portrayed Collins as the better quarterback, but "I have nothing against Todd. What he did last season is he came in and helped the team get to the playoffs. He was in Al Saunders's offense for a long enough time to understand the ins and outs of it."
"I won't ever talk about myself and say what I can do. I let other folks do that," Campbell said. "But [NFL] people tell me they've seen a lot of young quarterbacks play and they say I'm a step above. When they say things like that, it makes you feel positive about what you're doing in your development. And that's from some of the biggest people in the NFL. They don't tell you that unless they really mean it."

Some Redskins fans were alarmed by Campbell's critical quotes in assessing his performance after the first two days of training camp. On an Internet message board, fans posted comments about Campbell appearing to feel pressure. But Campbell has been confident and steady on the field, his teammates said.

It's make or break time.

Doubtfull. Although I'm pretty sure he's going ot have a good year I dont think he has a chance of the Pro bowl. Not with the love-fest for Romo sits to pee and Farve. I think JC could put up better numbers and get snubbed. In fact, I would expect it.

Well, Favre is out of the conference now :)

But yeah, Skins snubs is quite common :(

I do like this quote:

"I have all the confidence in the world in who I am and what I can do to help this team win," Campbell said. "I know that I'm the quarterback of this team and we can do great things. That's all I'm thinking about."

Great article.

What's telling about Campbell is how the team believes in him. He's got leadership and all the tangibles. Now it's time to put it all together.

But isn't it the intangibles that differentiate the good QB's from the great?

I'm sorry, but I refuse to either glorify or deny him at this point. When the regular season rolls around, and he's playing lights out, I'll be more vocal. For now I think it's a bit ridiculous for anyone to claim that he's "going to the Pro Bowl".

Seems as if the players are being a little more blunt in their interviews now...I wonder if that's a reflection of how blunt Zorn is when he talks to the media? For some reason, I don't imagine Campbell being this direct under Gibbs, as if either Gibbs would have warned the players against it or the players just following his lead.

I've always liked Jasons attitude and character but this came across as whiny to me. Too much plea copping. If thats what he needs to do to have a pro bowl season, then by all means keep it up.

I see what you're saying, but I think thats just him being hard on himself. A combination of that and knowing that people have thrown him under the bus already :\

Collins, who strongly considered signing with Jacksonville, returned to the Redskins for a three-year, $9 million contract that included a $3 million signing bonus. Campbell, who has two more years remaining on his rookie contract, will have a base salary of $1,235,000 this season.

Collins gets paid more than twice as much as Campbell? What the :censored: ?

But isn't it the intangibles that differentiate the good QB's from the great?

I'm sorry, but I refuse to either glorify or deny him at this point. When the regular season rolls around, and he's playing lights out, I'll be more vocal. For now I think it's a bit ridiculous for anyone to claim that he's "going to the Pro Bowl".

Yes, the intangibles are what make the average and good qbs great. I think he has them from what I've seen and what the players say on a consistent basis. He has the tangibles and intangibles imo, and this is the year they need to come together.

Doubtfull. Although I'm pretty sure he's going ot have a good year I dont think he has a chance of the Pro bowl. Not with the love-fest for Romo sits to pee and Farve. I think JC could put up better numbers and get snubbed. In fact, I would expect it.

If Derek Anderson can make the Pro Bowl, Jason Campbell can do it... Especially with the national exposure that's bound to come if he succeeds thanks to Peter King now being pro-Redskins...

I am really optimistic about our offense this year...

Great article and post!

I was never on the Todd Collins bandwagon or the Colt Brennan movement as of late. JC has had a tough break but has a certain poise that you can't teach. He has GREAT character and obvious talent.

Collins benefited from knowing a system for years and years. JC was still learning and had a decimated offensive line and injured receivers...many. Collins came in when others were getting healthy and the line was clicking.

The Redskins regime the past two season have been ridiculous to say the least. Zorn coming in is the best thing for the Redskins and Campbell. I expect great things for Campbell.

I don't think any should feel sorry for Jason ...he has been given every opportunity. Que sera sera!

Except by those who don't want to see what he can do in an offense tailored to his needs.

Let's see how he does this year before you throw him under the bus, yes? As you said, Que sera sera

He is very whiny in the article. He was 1-5 before he hurt his knee. He also glosses over the fact that the team won every game the rest of the regular season and won against teams he lost to earlier in the year after he went down. He looked good in his few attempts last week and needs to do it when it counts.

More importantly, he needs to lead the team to W's period. The team proved they can win without him, so he needs to lead them to W's. Doubling his career wins against the division in the opener would be a good start.

Archived