Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. Prosecutor calls researcher sole suspect in 2001 anthrax attacks

SkinsFanAnt

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/06/anthrax.case/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A federal prosecutor formally declared Army biological researcher Bruce Ivins the sole person responsible for creating and mailing the bacterial spores that killed five people in the 2001 anthrax attacks.

Officials said biodefense researcher Bruce E. Ivins, seen here in 2003, committed suicide.

"We believe, based on the evidence we collected, that we could prove his guilt to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt," Jeffrey Taylor, the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, told reporters at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

Taylor presented an overview of the case against Ivins, 62, after The Justice Department released documents detailing the scientist's role in the attacks, which the prosecutor called "the worst act of bioterrorism" in the country's history.

The anthrax-laced letters sickened 15 and killed two Washington postal workers, a New York hospital worker, a National Enquirer photo editor in Florida and a 94-year-old woman in Connecticut.

But in a statement issued after the news conference, Ivins' lawyer, Paul Kemp, continued to proclaim his client's innocence and said the government's documents and statements fell short of "concrete evidence."

"The government's press conference was an orchestrated dance of carefully worded statements, heaps of innuendo and a staggering lack of real evidence -- all contorted to create the illusion of guilt by Dr. Ivins," Kemp said.

Story continued here

Hey, isn't that the way our system works? After some guy commits suicide (by taking an overdose of, I think, Tylenol?), a government prosecutor holds a press conference and announces that well, we could have convicted the guy, if we'd prosecuted him?

Nice job government/fbi:

Either

1. you allowed a prime terrorist suspect to commit suicide conveniently before he had a chance to stand trial against so much obvious circumstantial evidence or

2. you just pathetically averted the biggest blown conspiracy disaster apart from the 9-11 truth movement.

How is it that this guy worked alone to get anthrax into the aerosol form? It's one thing to cultivate the bacteria, but to get it into the aerosol state where it could be used as a weapon against his enemies?...well, that takes more resources than any of our targeted axis of evil nations can pull off!

This is a big cover up scheme just like when they pinned Oswald for the Kennedy assassination. This guy was probably part of it and picked to take the fall, but I assure you he didn't work alone.

Why would he pick around 9-11 to attempt to assassinate Tom Daschle and how convenient it was for the Bush admin. for the news to pin the anthrax attack on Bin Laden/Saddam Hussein?

And anyone smart enough to see it can tell this Attorney was lying through his freaking teeth.

Nice job government/fbi:

Either

1. you allowed a prime terrorist suspect to commit suicide conveniently before he had a chance to stand trial against so much obvious circumstantial evidence or

2. you just pathetically averted the biggest blown conspiracy disaster apart from the 9-11 truth movement.

How is it that this guy worked alone to get anthrax into the aerosol form? It's one thing to cultivate the bacteria, but to get it into the aerosol state where it could be used as a weapon against his enemies?...well, that takes more resources than any of our targeted axis of evil nations can pull off!

This is a big cover up scheme just like when they pinned Oswald for the Kennedy assassination. This guy was probably part of it and picked to take the fall, but I assure you he didn't work alone.

Why would he pick around 9-11 to attempt to assassinate Tom Daschle and how convenient it was for the Bush admin. for the news to pin the anthrax attack on Bin Laden/Saddam Hussein?

And anyone smart enough to see it can tell this Attorney was lying through his freaking teeth.

To be honest, the circumstantial evidence was stacked really high against this guy. Let's say there was no hard proof: the rules for admitting evidence into federal court are much more lenient than local court systems. This was an extended investigation, and they didn't get to this guy until they got a new boss to change the direction of the investigation.

You can say he didn't act alone all you want, the fact is, given the rules of the federal court system regarding evidence and burden of proof, even a jury would have cooked this guy. He was finished, knew it, and decided the cowardly way out was the way to go. Even if he was innocent, he knew the cards were stacked against him and he had no chance. If he knew he had a chance in court to prove his innocence, he wouldn't have taken his own life.

I just don't see how anybody can take the FBI sereously here.

Their primary suspect is hounded out of his job. Is just about destroyed financially. Undergoes constant harrassment from the FBI for several years. Ends up suing the government and lands a one time payment of more than 10 million dollars and a yearly payment of 150,000k for the rest of his life....

Only after their primary suspect kicks the snot out of them does the FBI turn and start the entire harrasment process overagain on a new primary suspect. One who see's a phyciatrist and who suffers from depression. They dude kills himself before any charges are made, after constant FBI harrasment on the same scale as primary suspect #1... And the FBI pats themselves on the back and tells themselves good job...

Idiots..

I just don't see how anybody can take the FBI sereously here.

Their primary suspect is hounded out of his job. Is just about destroyed financially. Undergoes constant harrassment from the FBI for several years. Ends up suing the government and lands a one time payment of more than 10 million dollars and a yearly payment of 150,000k for the rest of his life....

Only after their primary suspect kicks the snot out of them does the FBI turn and start the entire harrasment process overagain on a new primary suspect. One who see's a phyciatrist and who suffers from depression. They dude kills himself before any charges are made, after constant FBI harrasment on the same scale as primary suspect #1... And the FBI pats themselves on the back and tells themselves good job...

Idiots..

Well, their next plan was to surround his house and set fire to it.

:)

However, all that aside.

As I understand it, the guy worked with weaponized Anthrax in his job. I haven't seen anything that actually says so, but somehow I'd suspect that laboratories what work with militarized bio weapons probably keep the stuff sealed, or otherwise in some kind of "tamper-evident packaging", so they can keep track of the stuff. (At least I'd really hope so.)

Turns out that shortly before the attacks, this guy says that he was alone in the lab, and that he accidentally spilled some of the stuff. He admits that he concealed the fact that the accident occurred, and cleaned it up himself.

Now, granted, I'm extrapolating a lot of stuff, here. But to me, what it sounds like is that several people got attacked with weaponized Anthrax, this lab's supply of weaponized Anthrax has been opened and tampered with, (along with a lot of gear for dealing with Anthrax), and this one guy says that he did it, but that it was all just an accident that just happened to happen while he was completely alone in the lab.

If that's the case, then I can't figure out why the guy wasn't Suspect #1 from Day 1.

However, all that aside.

As I understand it, the guy worked with weaponized Anthrax in his job. I haven't seen anything that actually says so, but somehow I'd suspect that laboratories what work with militarized bio weapons probably keep the stuff sealed, or otherwise in some kind of "tamper-evident packaging", so they can keep track of the stuff. (At least I'd really hope so.)

Turns out that shortly before the attacks, this guy says that he was alone in the lab, and that he accidentally spilled some of the stuff. He admits that he concealed the fact that the accident occurred, and cleaned it up himself.

Now, granted, I'm extrapolating a lot of stuff, here. But to me, what it sounds like is that several people got attacked with weaponized Anthrax, this lab's supply of weaponized Anthrax has been opened and tampered with, (along with a lot of gear for dealing with Anthrax), and this one guy says that he did it, but that it was all just an accident that just happened to happen while he was completely alone in the lab.

If that's the case, then I can't figure out why the guy wasn't Suspect #1 from Day 1.

The old boss of the investigation only explored Hatfill, based on the articles I've read. The investigation didn't turn towards Ivins until someone fresh took over the investigation a few years ago and changed direction. Maybe the guy previously in charge couldn't see the forest for the trees?

However, all that aside.

Ok here is what my understanding is. This guy worked in one lab of many which deal with Anthrax. This guy was making a vacine to be used against anthrax, an advanced vacine which could be used against weaponized anthrax which uses multiple strains with variable resistance to known vacines.. As such he along with hundreds of people at the lab had access to the anthrax. The FBI knows the anthrax came from his lab because a group of scientists including our suspect tracked the DNA.. Thay proved the anthrax was weaponized, and specifically came from this military facility where this suspect worked.

What makes this guy suspcious was only that he suffered from depression, saw a doctor for his troubles, and also had some problems with a co worker which resulted in a restraining order against him. Other than those items they don't have any evidence which narrows this guy down from the hundreds of people who had acess to the anthrax at his base.

The reason the investigation focused on this guy rather than their primary suspect Hatfield, was Hatfield sued the FBI in open coart and won a multi million dollar settlement along with a restraining order. The FBI after years of investigating Hatfield had to put their cards on the table and show a judge the justification for turning Dr. Hatfields life upside down, and they had nothing. That's when they started to focus on suspect #2.

Sounds like this really is the guy.

It also sounds like some dickweed from the FBI went after the wrong guy for years and years, and they only focused on the right guy after that FBI dickweed was forced off the investigation.

Does not make the FBI look competent, that's for sure.

Archived