Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Zorn Knocks Rookies (MET)

Jino

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/aug/06/zorn-says-thomas-kelly-werent-ready/

Zorn says Thomas, Kelly weren't ready

Corey Masisak

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"I don't think [saying Kelly and I were not prepared] is a fair thing to say," Thomas said. "We came in prepared enough to do what we could do. We had a lot of other distractions going on as far as becoming a rookie. But as far as being in shape, we were in shape - it was just a tough deal that we both got hurt.[/Quote]

I may be overreacting, but why does this comment irk me?

It comes off as Devin publicly disagreeing with Coach Zorn's comments.

Dude, if you were in shape, chances are, you wouldn't have failed your conditioning tests.

"Distractions on as far as becoming a rookie" is not an excuse brother. You're not the only rookies in the NFL.

If the coach tells you weren't in shape, you should STFU and not talk back; especially if you're a rookie.

your twisting the context of what he and zorn were saying, but it irks me too seeing any type of disagrement between coaches and players.

devin is just defending his manhood right now, saying hes in shape, but not in the shape hes suppose to be, using his photo opts/shoots as an excuse. hes obviously offended, but he is offended by the notion of not being what hes trying to prove. hes not saying zorn is wrong, and btw zorn isnt. both rooks cant pass the test yet. neither could smoot. we got more camp to come.

This will be water under the bridge when he's practicing fully. Zorn is frustrated because he needs these guys for the early part of the season.

You don't want to rush them back, but you can be frustrated. Thomas is hurt and he can't turn back time and be in better condition, so he's frustrated too.

Zorn needs them to bust it in high gear when they are healthy. His comments are trying to ensure they do that. I don't care if he says that it isn't fair. Tough love, we'll see how Thomas responds on the field.

Zorn's comments were made to motivate those guys, not to get the fans to harass the rookies. Let's let the guy coach and motivate his players without living and dying on what Zorn says each day.

I posted this deep in another thread... so probably nobody saw it, but my impression was that Devin Thomas was not directly saying Zorn was unfair. The question in the interview on redskins.com referenced Zorn's statement but then ended with something like "what do you think about the perception that people are going to have that you came in unprepared?" I believe this is what Devin was saying was unfair... not Zorn's statement that they should have passed the conditioning test. I think Devin admits that Zorn is right, he should have passed it, but that the general public would be unfair to presume that Devin and Malcolm didn't try to come in to camp prepared.

the kids these days are coming out of college being given everything, most have been "the best" on thier team since high school..

i don't think they have a concept at first of what its like to no longer be the best and that you must work really hard to get there again in the NFL.

some get it ... and then work their @@@'s off ... the others never get it and get cut and never play again angry that they weren't given hand outs.

I posted this deep in another thread... so probably nobody saw it, but my impression was that Devin Thomas was not directly saying Zorn was unfair. The question in the interview on redskins.com referenced Zorn's statement but then ended with something like "what do you think about the perception that people are going to have that you came in unprepared?" I believe this is what Devin was saying was unfair... not Zorn's statement that they should have passed the conditioning test. I think Devin admits that Zorn is right, he should have passed it, but that the general public would be unfair to presume that Devin and Malcolm didn't try to come in to camp prepared.

I think you interpreted it right...

However, Zorn DID hint at both Malcom and Devin not trying hard enough to come into camp physically prepared. Or should I say, it came across that way but Zorn may not have been talking about them specifically. At one point, Zorn starts talking about rookie receivers in general (or just rookie players in general) sometimes having an attitude of "Oh, I can do this, no problem", and ending up not ready for the rigors of training camp. He even made a mocking gesture with his hand going thru his hair while saying it as if the rookie was acting as if he were beautiful and perfect lol. Got the press laughing, but if you're Kelly or Thomas, you MIGHT think he was making fun of you specifically. Zorn, though, did say later that he didn't know whether or not that was the case with Thomas and Kelly...just that not passing the condition test meant "something" wasn't right.

i agree... it definitely irks me a little bit to hear him saying that publicly

If you think Zorn is little too open? I mean nfl player are adult and You cannot make a statement about someone and didnt think he will not comment on that.

I feel Jim Zorn could go to them one on one and say what he feel not go to media talk about someone.

zorn is just saying declarative sentences stating what happend. hes not implying they dont work as hard as they can.

that is what devin is defending himself from. and as he should. theyre getting hurt from trying to keep up. they'll get back in, and if devin is the work horse they claim him to be at state, then well see...

Archived