Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog:Zorn Gives an Injury Report

IbleedBnG83

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/zorn_gives_an_injury_report.html?nav=rss_blog

We're told that blog migration is happening more quickly than anticipated, so we've got that going for us...

Jason La Canfora has gotten some time alone with a source for an upcoming feature, so he sends along this quick update and will post more fully later:

Jim Zorn said Chris Horton has a stomach bug and will play Saturday. J.T. Tryon had to get some medical attention, but Zorn wasn't sure what for and didn't think it was major. Cornelius Griffin had back spasms and although they are minor, he might not play against the Bills. LaRon Landry is likely to sit, too.

As for the plan Saturday night, Zorn said Jason Taylor and London Fletcher may get a few plays on D. On offense, the starters may stay in for a third series. Clinton Portis is likely to rest again.

Greg Blache said the competiton between Anthony Montgomery and Kedric Golston to start at tackle is wide open, with Golston making gains. Overall, Blache ripped the defense's performance and said it "stunk like three-day old fish." How's that for candor?

I particularly enjoyed Blache's remarks about the defense. I'm glad Fletch and JT will get some reps in. I think LL needs to get some into, unless his hammy is bothering him. I don't want them babying the players.

Holding out CP another game doesn't bother me. I really hope he does get reps in the following game.

Thanks for the info.

The defense yielded something like 400 yards. While they tightened up, those long drives can really tire a defense when you're using guys for a full season.

True, but when you play a 4-3 base defense with no schemes, that usually happens.

Thanks for the info.

The defense yielded something like 400 yards. While they tightened up, those long drives can really tire a defense when you're using guys for a full season.

Yeah, as I watched the HOF game it seemed like the Colts were marching up and down the field almost at will. Granted, we had only 3(?) starters in there, but it got a little frustrating at times. Good to see Blache isn't using anything like that as an excuse for his unit.

Some Defensive observations from the Colts game:

Other than the occasional blitzes, I thought our Defense was pretty vanilla although we definitely saw some work on the Cover 2 (Schweigert blew it on that). Defensive schemes are at a minimum on purpose. We need to see which DB's can play man and efficiently tackle and who can't. Along the line, we're only seeing the occasional stunt when we blitz, otherwise it's mano-a-mano. We seem to be isolating the LB's to see who can fight through/off blocks and how well they read and react. In other words, we leave guys exposed on purpose at times to see just what we have. This way you can see whcih young guys can step up and which older guys still have it.

Overall, Blache ripped the defense's performance and said it "stunk like three-day old fish." How's that for candor?

Hopefully when we have our entire starting unit in once the season starts, they won't play as bad or give up chuncks of yards. They also looked crappy against the run.

Archived