Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How our O-line will not be a liability in 08?

herb mul-key

Please tell me how our O-line is in good shape.

I saw Jansen and Samuels get USED on that sack of Campbell...I feel secure w/ Samuels...Jansen not so much. Thomas is just getting back. Pete is old and creaky. Rabach is super solid.

Heyer and Wade(high ankle sprains take a long time) are hurt...we just seem to lack depth...

I don't know...I think it all starts up front, if we have a line that is dominating we can do a lot. The Giants and Cowboys will get after us w/ the rush...

Please tell me how our O-line is in good shape. Besides that we have Buges which I agree is a tremendous strength.

Thanks.

Jansen hasn't played in a year, hes just getting the rust off during pre-season. We have much better depth this year then last year.

1. Our starters are healthy.

2. Heyer has another year under his belt and can play either LT or RT.

3. Fabini is back, he stepped in and played pretty well for Thomas.

4. Chad Rhinehart is a great draft prospect. He can step in at T or G.

5. Todd Wade is a good 3rd string backup at guard.

6. Buges is the o-line coach.

7. We may find another undrafted gem on the line this year like we did with Heyer last year.

Our depth this year is better then 2007 in every way possible.

That one play isnt a good look into the Oline. Linemen get beat, it happens. Besides, every starter is back plus the backups that started for part of last year are back. Then add in the new guys. Its not like we signed Faneca, but we are considerably stronger at the line

I saw Jansen and Samuels get USED on that sack of Campbell...I feel secure w/ Samuels...Jansen not so much. Thomas is just getting back. Pete is old and creaky. Rabach is super solid.

Heyer and Wade(high ankle sprains take a long time) are hurt...we just seem to lack depth...

I don't know...I think it all starts up front, if we have a line that is dominating we can do a lot. The Giants and Cowboys will get after us w/ the rush...

Please tell me how our O-line is in good shape. Besides that we have Buges which I agree is a tremendous strength.

Thanks.

Except for also being slightly concerned about Jansen. I think I disagree with everything.

First of all, you are looking at one play and determining that Samuels no longer has it? He had a great year last year. And, on that sack, Campbell was all over the pocket not doing his linemen any good.

Thomas is very solid. He had a triceps injury. I don't expect any lingering effects.

Kendall is "creaky" now? I dont know where that comes from.

And Rabach is solid, but, honestly, probably the worst of the five. Which is a compliment to our o-line, and not an insult to Rabach.

For depth, Rinehart looks like a mauler, Heyer proved he could play last year, and Fabini is a solid backup. Crummey was also considered a first/second round talent before breaking his leg last year.

Plenty of talent and depth on the O-line. Probably the least of our concerns.

That one play isnt a good look into the Oline. Linemen get beat, it happens. Besides, every starter is back plus the backups that started for part of last year are back. Then add in the new guys. Its not like we signed Faneca, but we are considerably stronger at the line

Exactly. Linemen get beat. To expect zero sacks or perfect run blocking is asking too much. There are professionals lined up on the other side and sometimes they will beat our guys. if we reach the season's mid-way point and have bad stats, I'll be the first to commend the OP on noticing early that we were deficient. Until then, let them play.

I am hoping that the lines get rebuilt sooner rather than later but the time is not now. The draft is over and as soon as the season starts we have a few more weeks to maybe pick up an old linemen if need be, but really we're going to play the hand as its dealt.

The linemen are SOLID and there are a lot of teams that would kill for Samuels, Jansen, Thomas, Rabach, and that other guy :)

Have faith. It's only one pre-season game and even worse you're talking about ONE play.

I am concerned as well.

Jansen looked like a stiff out there. Samuels will be a rock, but some of his mental mistakes (false starts near the goal line) bothered me last year. Hopefully he can continue his solid play and eliminate those this year. Thomas is a monster when healthy, but I just hope he can stay healthy.

Agree about Rabach - very good player when healthy, and Kendall is a bit too old.

Like others have said, Rinehart is looking more and more valuable - any young, talented, and - most importantly - versatile lineman is a huge asset to any team.

Samuels is coming back from surgery. Remember him saying his conditioning needs improvement because of it. Jansen needs more games under his belt to get back into shape and muscle memory for the regular season. If he still plays like this the last preseason game, i'm more worried.

I think Kendell will be fine. I like Rinehart and so do the coaches. He seems to be able to play almost every position in the line. If Kendell is doing well, then i'm sure he can play tackle for jansen. I would like to see Heyer step it up.

One preaseson game. Lets wait and see.

Samuels is coming back from surgery. Remember him saying his conditioning needs improvement because of it. Jansen needs more games under his belt to get back into shape and muscle memory for the regular season. If he still plays like this the last preseason game, i'm more worried.

I think Kendell will be fine. I like Rinehart and so do the coaches. He seems to be able to play almost every position in the line. If Kendell is doing well, then i'm sure he can play tackle for jansen. I would like to see Heyer step it up.

One preaseson game. Lets wait and see.

Kendall won;t play tackle, Rinehart or Heyer would. We have two capable back-ups at tackle plus we have Fabini. Our line is good right now.

I don;t see why Samuels or Jansen won't be ready by week 1 and then conditioning steadily improve throughout the season.

I'm mildly concerned with our OL too but we've at least made some progress of late. Samuels, Rabach, and Thomas will be fine. However, Kendall was "creaky" when we got him, Jansen is done and Heyer still hasn't impressed me much-I still think he's going to end up as a depth player rather than a starter. However, for our OL, that's a position of need as well so if it works out that way, that's not a bad thing.

We did make some much needed headway towards rebuilding that unit this offseason. Rhineheart looks good and will eventually start for us. Crummey may have been a steal. Plus there's Brown stashed on IR to develop, 'er "heal" :paranoid: for next season.

Our starting unit has got some age issues but unlike the past few seasons, we've at least got some replacements in the pipeline.

Thanks.

The sack fo Campbell is one play, in the first preseason game. It was all on Jansen who got beat on an inside spin move and had nothing to do with Samuels.

Samules is still one of the top 5 LT's in the NFL - so if we are worried about him there are a lot of NFL teams who are in MUCH worse shape.

Jansen is the weak link - at least in pass protection. But in the regular season we can game plan around that and give him help.

Re depth we have a young tackle in Heyer who has started what 8 games and should continue to develop so he replaces Jansen maybe next year. rienhart has looked solid and is a capable backup at both guard and tackle and probably becomes the starting LG next year.

We do need depth at centre and next year another tackle we can develop.

The key is health. If the starting 5 can stay healthy we are in good shape - we could get by if say just Jansen went down as I think Heyer can fill in for him but the other 4 need to stay healthy.

you add Heyer, Rinehart and Crummey to the list of Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas and Jansen and what do you get. Youth, talent and depth. EVERYONE has praised Rinehart for being a flat out animal and he can play G or T. Heyer played well last year when needed and he can play LT or RT. Crummey was the nations top rated G until he broke his leg. Crummey can play G or C. Fabini, while I don't really like him, filled in well last year and can play T or G. We have 4 backups who can play more then one position. Idk if many teams can say they have that?

One preseason game and ONE FREAKING PLAY!!!!!!

Oh man, you guys need to give them some time.

Jansen while not elite is more than capable of providing the punch in the run game and holding up the rush long enough in the passing game. If there is trouble, a tight end or back can help on that side. Plus he has not played in a year and has to get that mojo back. I think we will be fine.

There is depth and it will get better as the season nears.

Don't be so concerned about Kendall being 38. Good o-linemen play well into their late 30's and he was very solid last year. I think hes got 1 more good year left in the tank.

PK is 35 btw, not to be nit picky but it makes your point even stronger

Have you watched Kendall try and run more than a few yards?...love him but he looks creaky and I would say is almost done.

The Hogs made the Redskins as successful as they were and if we have a dominate O-line we are in great shape...I think we can with what we have...w/ no injuries.

The O-line played a big part in our loss at Seattle...we were way out played by their front 7...just saying I hope we are improved, as a solid o-line as we know is a big key!

That 2nd drive 4 man rush sack on the HOF game was ugly, can't deny it, we didn't have a chance. Need to improve on that.

I think Crummey and Geisinger looked pretty good out there. If we can develop those 2 along with Kerry Brown (on IR), we have a bright young future on the line and all it would cost us is a 3rd round pick for 5 players. Geisinger, Crummey, Brown and Heyer were all UDFAs. I like these gems.

The O-line played a big part in our loss at Seattle...we were way out played by their front 7...just saying I hope we are improved, as a solid o-line as we know is a big key!

Um, we had back ups playing the entire right side of the OLine in Seattle, remember?...And it's the NOISIEST stadium in the league. To think that performance last year could accurately reflect the OLine's performance this year is some rather faulty logic.

That 2nd drive 4 man rush sack on the HOF game was ugly, can't deny it, we didn't have a chance. Need to improve on that.

Every OLine in the NFL will have plays like that against them, and on more than one occassion. You can't possibly enjoy the game if you lose site of realities like that. :cheers:

yes I remember Cali, I was there right behind our bench.

So now we are counting on Fabini and Heyer as depth, so what I was trying to say is yes I hope we don't have as many injuries and we don't have to count on Fabini and Heyer again because they ain't the Hogs...

Jansen did not look good on the sack, I think its ok to say that.

If we can play hog like on the o-line we are in great shape is all I am saying...

I think Crummey and Geisinger looked pretty good out there. If we can develop those 2 along with Kerry Brown (on IR), we have a bright young future on the line and all it would cost us is a 3rd round pick for 5 players. Geisinger, Crummey, Brown and Heyer were all UDFAs. I like these gems.

Good point and to think we wasted a 5th (Mark Wilson) and 6th (Jim Molinaro) in 2004 with guys that aren't on the team.

yes I remember Cali, I was there right behind our bench.

Then I'm not exactly sure why you used that game for any context into this year's OLine performance. Most fans acknowledge that the OLine that played against Seattle was not a reflection of the Skins' real OLine that would be playing this year. Your logic equated them, though.

So now we are counting on Fabini and Heyer as depth, so what I was trying to say is yes I hope we don't have as many injuries and we don't have to count on Fabini and Heyer again because they ain't the Hogs...

That pretty much goes for every OLine in the league, which was a point I was making in my last post. Losing sight of that reality will cause anyone to think that the Skins' OLine is worse than it is. The Patriots would be in some serious trouble if they lost two of their starters on the OLine as well. Nobody has Pro Bowl linemen sitting on the bench waiting to play. So saying that Fabini and Heyer "ain't the Hogs" is a bit obvious.

Jansen did not look good on the sack, I think its ok to say that.

What lineman looks good on a sack? lol :)

If we can play hog like on the o-line we are in great shape is all I am saying...

Well, yeah, but again, that goes without saying. But your original post made it sound like there's no way we can and that you wanted us to convince you otherwise.

Archived