Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BigDog - 4 Legged Robot Mule Funded by DARPA

Dan T.

i know you've read dune... or i robot... or 2001... or the matrix... this is a big :nono:

No I agree. I'd much rather them take the knowledge that these systems bring and work on things such as robotic enhanced strength body armor, bionic and bio-tech enhancements for wounded soldiers/crippled civilians.

Autonomous, thinking, killing machines are not something I care to see happen in my lifetime.

No I agree. I'd much rather them take the knowledge that these systems bring and work on things such as robotic enhanced strength body armor, bionic and bio-tech enhancements for wounded soldiers/crippled civilians.

Autonomous, thinking, killing machines are not something I care to see happen in my lifetime.

Unmanned bipedal drones ... with that super stealth suit that someone posted a link too? How many years off we talking?? :)

Unmanned bipedal drones ... with that super stealth suit that someone posted a link too? How many years off we talking?? :)

It would depend on how fast we can micro a power system that could handle the power demands of both the cloaking cloth and the robot itself. I still say 10+ years for the whole thing.

BTW, do you think ethics committees would flip if anyone was close to developing AI? Similar to how they flipped over cloning?

Depends on the level of sophistication and how close an AI system can come to being "human like". The first true AI systems created in the future for warfare won't be much more than a basic hunter/killer system.

Once you get past that, then you may run into issues such as are we actually creating life or is this just a program, etc. There are people that will feel that AI, just like cloning, borders or crosses into heresy because it is the "creation" of life by humans. These are issues that I will gladly leave up to the generations to follow to argue about.

Archived