Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is That on Art Monk's Pedestal?

Dan T.

Last weekend was a memorable one for Redskins fans as Art Monk and Darrell Green were immortailized in Canton and the Jim Zorn era kicked off with a successful preseason debut.

However, there was one nagging little thing that bothered me as I followed all the ceremonies and other action on TV...

To me, Art Monk's bust looks nothing like Art Monk.

artmonkbust.jpg

From this angle, it looks more like Joseph Stalin than number 81.

Maybe some of the many folks who attended live and got a better view from different angles can weigh in, but to me, I had a hard time seeing a resemblence to Art Monk in that bust. :whoknows:

None of those busts EVEr look like the dude being honored. It's kind of freaky in my opinion.

That one really does no justice, but D.Green's looks a bit closer.

Yeah, I thought Green's did resemble Green somewhat - they depicted him smiling.

I wonder how the artist goes about creating these - do they meet the subject? Do they just use photographs?

Not to denigrate the sculptor in any way - it's amazing to me how they make metal look so lifelike. It just seems they missed on Monk a little bit.

artmonkbust.jpg

From this angle, it looks more like Joseph Stalin than number 81.

Well, Fidel Castro played baseball...

A little known fact is that Stalin played American football in college. Playing the QB position for the University of Vermont Fightn' Commies, he broke several throwing records and set several team records. Unfortunately for Josef, he tore both his ACLs while a attending a "Workers of the World Unite Solidarity" meeting(some said from falling downstairs after a wee bit much of the vodka), ending his NFL career even before it began. Forced back to mother Russia, his sadness and deep depression at his failed "Amerikan Phootball" career caused him to enter politics, take over the country, and murder Lenin and six million of his countrymen.

This led to the Russian saying: "In America, you play football. In Soviet Russia, football throws you into Gulag." <insert Yakov Smirnoff accent>

The face should of been Thinner, a more slender look. The artist looked like it was trying to get both the older ver. of Monk and the Younger ver. with the hair and got it wrong.

the reason why the pic in this thread with the camera angle going up towards Art's bust looks more like him because it is not a head on shot of him.

Yeah, we didn't recognize this one until my brother added a prop and then I couldn't believe we didn't recognize him to begin with. See what you think?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/TheDoars/SJdr7k26gVI/AAAAAAAABDk/vTPa_wJjq6I/IMG_0443.jpg?imgmax=576

http://lh5.ggpht.com/TheDoars/SJdr-o-jA2I/AAAAAAAABEA/Wm8hjHFkJro/IMG_0447.jpg?imgmax=512

Actually, the resemblence is uncanny with the prop.

Dude - that is Funny as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, we didn't recognize this one until my brother added a prop and then I couldn't believe we didn't recognize him to begin with. See what you think?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/TheDoars/SJdr7k26gVI/AAAAAAAABDk/vTPa_wJjq6I/IMG_0443.jpg?imgmax=576

http://lh5.ggpht.com/TheDoars/SJdr-o-jA2I/AAAAAAAABEA/Wm8hjHFkJro/IMG_0447.jpg?imgmax=512

Actually, the resemblence is uncanny with the prop.

Wow. Was anyone around (like HOF Building Employees) when you did that? I'd imagine you would get in trouble doing that...

Wow. Was anyone around (like HOF Building Employees) when you did that? I'd imagine you would get in trouble doing that...

There were a ton of people around when my brother said "Quick, get ready to take a picture" and before I could ask why, he stepped up and stuck the "prop" under his nose and I snapped the picture. Every one of the Skins fans guffaw laughed (including a Redskin fan grandmother...who put her hands over her grandkids' eyes). I thought we might get tossed, too, but everyone kept laughing, so we took a less hurried pic with the, um, prop attached to the bust. No one ever said anything to us at all.

Of course, the day before, prior to the Induction Ceremony, my brother was videotaping Michael Irvin and John Elway while they were on their set and when they broke for a commercial break, my brother yells out, "Hey, Michael Irvin, I guess you got a little nervous the first time you heard they were gonna have a Michael Irvin bust at the Hall!!!!" I bolted and tried to be as small as possible, but he kept videotaping until a stadium employee said, "Hey, time to move along....and grow up, will ya?" My brother and I were crying laughing. I ragged him about that the rest of the trip.

Yeah, I thought Green's did resemble Green somewhat - they depicted him smiling.

I wonder how the artist goes about creating these - do they meet the subject? Do they just use photographs?

Not to denigrate the sculptor in any way - it's amazing to me how they make metal look so lifelike. It just seems they missed on Monk a little bit.

Some busts are very close and some are way off it seems to me. Gibbs is pretty close from what I recall.

Comcast did a special on how the guy makes the busts. He gets and takes several pictures and meets with each player. He gets to know them and they talk about the image the player wants portrayed on his bust. Green said he wanted to be smiling and Monk wanted to look more like he's concentrating and focused.

It was pretty good insight in to the entire process. The way the guy got the job was really interesting too. When he was in college, he sculpted and ended up doing some work for Bill Walsh. Walsh suggested him to the HoF and many years later, he was able to create a bust for Walsh.

Here's a little story about it: http://www.profootballhof.com/hall/canton_repository/artist.jsp

Hail,

H

I wish they had made Monk's bust a bit more...serene looking, mabye??...The bust doesn't quite make him look focused...he looks pissed off lol...

In almost every photo of Monk I've seen, he looks really calm. I wish that calmness had come across better in the bust. But then again, the other angle shot that someone posted in this thread was a much better resemblance to Monk that the angle view from the top.

Yeah, I had to wait over an hour to get into the room with the busts in it. Riggo didn't look much like Riggo but I thought Gibbs looked like Gibbs, maybe it was the glasses.

Green's definitley looks like him but the teeth are a little weird to look at but he was always smiling.

I have a rookie card of Monk and it doesn't look anything like Art did at the end of his career.

I guess they try to do it from the prime of their career. Is that what Art looked like in 92 on that Monday Night against Denver?

Some busts are very close and some are way off it seems to me. Gibbs is pretty close from what I recall.

Comcast did a special on how the guy makes the busts. He gets and takes several pictures and meets with each player. He gets to know them and they talk about the image the player wants portrayed on his bust. Green said he wanted to be smiling and Monk wanted to look more like he's concentrating and focused.

It was pretty good insight in to the entire process. The way the guy got the job was really interesting too. When he was in college, he sculpted and ended up doing some work for Bill Walsh. Walsh suggested him to the HoF and many years later, he was able to create a bust for Walsh.

Here's a little story about it: http://www.profootballhof.com/hall/canton_repository/artist.jsp

Hail,

H

Good find, and an intersting article, thanks. So the artist spends time with the subject, talks to him about how he wants to be portrayed, and takes facial measurements in addition to looking at photos.

Archived