Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Steve Smith to Dallas?

DeMarco Murray 29

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0...-Cowboys-.html

Smith to the Cowboys?

August 4, 2008 4:42 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

I have a call into my esteemed NFC South blog colleague Pat Yasinskas about the status of wide receiver Steve Smith, who has been suspended for the first two regular-season games for punching teammate Ken Lucas in the face during training camp.

There have been rumblings out of Panthers camp that club officials are fed up with Smith's actions (not just the latest incident) and are at least considering the idea of dealing him to another team.

The idea of trading one of the best receivers in football seems far-fetched, but Smith has become a divisive force on the team. One Panthers source said that several defensive backs were walking around after the recent incident saying that if management didn't discipline Smith, they would. This isn't exactly the best way to begin a season.

All that to say that I know an owner in the NFC East who has spent the last four months coveting another star wide receiver. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones struckout with Chad Johnson, the Lions' Roy Williams and Anquan Boldin, but behind closed doors, he's still pining away for someone to play opposite Terrell Owens.

This roster already includes T.O., Tank Johnson and Adam Jones. What's one more player with a few dings on his resume? You think I'm reaching on this one?

Well, I just talked to someone in Oxnard, Calif., site of Cowboys training training camp, and Smith's name has already come up in conversations. But something tells me we won't see this discussion on HBO's "Hard Knocks" on Wednesday.

I'll talk to Yasinskas and we'll get back to you soon.

Why not? Stranger things have happened. Perhaps the Panthers are looking for an excuse to blow things up and start over. *shrugs*

Considering they gave up ALOT to get Jeff Otah in the draft...trying to rebuild may not be a good idea b/c they won't have anything to work with next year.

If anything-this year is IT for them. Otherwise-they wouldn't have gone out of their way to get Otah, Jonathan Stewart to compliment Deangelo Williams, DJ Hackett to upgrade their passing game, etc.

Considering they gave up ALOT to get Jeff Otah in the draft...trying to rebuild may not be a good idea b/c they won't have anything to work with next year.

If anything-this year is IT for them. Otherwise-they wouldn't have gone out of their way to get Otah, Jonathan Stewart to compliment Deangelo Williams, DJ Hackett to upgrade their passing game, etc.

Good point. They'd be kinda stupid. Then again, when was the last time the Panthers were really competetive?

Good point. They'd be kinda stupid. Then again, when was the last time the Panthers were really competetive?

To be fair to them last year-IF Delhomme had stayed healthy, they could have very well made alot of noise in the NFC.(our wk17 meeting could have very well decided HFA) Sure-Jake has a gunslinging, boneheaded mentality, but his presence alone means alot to the entire team.

With that being said-only the Saints pose a threat to them in the NFCS(and they themselves have secondary issues), and they also play the weak NFCN/AFCW to boot. Despite a weak D, their potent offense alone should net them 10-11 wins.

As a Cowboys fan I DO NOT want him.

He's a bigger risk than any other risky player we've signed. We'd have to trade some quality draft picks for him I'm sure rather than just signing another team's released player.

I could see him disrupting the chemistry that Romo sits to pee, Witten, and TO all have.

No telling how TO and Steve Smith would react to each other either.

The Reward would be great... but the risk is higher than TO, Tank, and Pacman.

He's a bigger risk than any other risky player we've signed. We'd have to trade some quality draft picks for him I'm sure rather than just signing another team's released player.

I could see him disrupting the chemistry that Romo sits to pee, Witten, and TO all have.

Hes a punk. If you listen sound bites of him he comes across as a nasty person...

TO - I doubt if he's changed a bit. However-he knows he's on strike 2, and isn't stupid enough to screw up again. He's handling himself just fine.

Tank - his crimes wouldn't be crimes at all in TX.

Pacman - we got him for a mere 2nd day pick...a pick which we got back eventually b/c Fasano/Adoyele were going to be dumped anyways. And that pick turned out to be a pretty good RB(Choice).

Smith-OTOH, would not only require us to give up a first day pick + decent player for, but he brings alot of baggage to boot.

TO - I doubt if he's changed a bit. However-he knows he's on strike 2, and isn't stupid enough to screw up again. He's handling himself just fine.

Tank - his crimes wouldn't be crimes at all in TX.

Pacman - we got him for a mere 2nd day pick...a pick which we got back eventually b/c Fasano/Adoyele were going to be dumped anyways. And that pick turned out to be a pretty good RB(Choice).

Smith-OTOH, would not only require us to give up a first day pick + decent player for, but he brings alot of baggage to boot.

First off, TO may not have changed but the way he is treated by his coaches, owner, and teammates has, and that makes all the difference.

Add in the Salary Cap consequences.

With TO, he had basically three 1 year contracts... so the salary cap consequences would only last for the 1 season. (As far as I remember)

With Tank, very minimal salary cap hit.

With Pacman... absolutely NO salary cap hit. He's only paid if he actually plays. We can dump him at any time without any salary cap consequences. We lost what... a 4th round pick? Like you said, that we basically got back by trading Ayodele/Fasano.

With Steve Smith, we'd have to give up some good draft picks to get him AND we'd have a contract with salary cap consequences if he gets out of line or causes problems. So, its not like we could just dump him without some much bigger consequences than the other risky players we signed.

Whenever a punk is brought up, all Cowboy fans always say they don't want the guy. Then he gets signed and they all forget and then talk about how he has turned it around.

When Owens was signed by us 2 years ago, Jim Rome came out and called our fan base "hypocrites".

I'll admit-I wish he were wrong.:doh:

Archived