Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report Card, preseason week 1.

Cherick

Let's grade the team, how they did on Offense, Defense, Special Teams and Coaching.

Offense: I'd give it an A-. It was really good! We didnt see much of the "first team", but what we saw was very effective, on rythm and everyone focused on doing their job. Todd did good too, he took the sacks instead of making dumb decisions. And Colt stole the night, totally dominated his own level of competition. On top of the QBs, add a good job by Rock and a better one by Mason.

Defense: Eh, I'd give it a B-. You just don't get thrown around like that by Jim Sorgi. But to be fair, we had no Fletcher, Landry or Jason Taylor but still, that was Jim bleeping Sorgi. 2nd and 3rd stringers did a decent job. Horton and Rob Jackson did very good.

Special Teams: C+. This is only my opinion, ok. To me there were only two bright spots on STs, one was the very first play of the game, the awareness of Horton to recover the onside kick, and the other one was the punt by Brooks downed on the 7 or so. Other than that, I think we need some work there. Suisham really blew it, btw.

Coaching: A+. Jim Zorn did an excellent job, IMO. playcalling, presence and authority on the sidelines and complete management of the game overall. Greg Blache couldnt do more without Fletcher, Landry and the rest of starters.

So, there you have it. Those are my rankings for the team. Feel free to insult me (whithin the rules, of course), but if you do bash me, at least back it up with your own rankings and explanations.;)

Offense: A-. Todd Collins brought it down, otherwise I'd have said A or A+.

Defense: C+. Justin Tryon brought this down a lot, Reed brought it down a little. I can't put much blame on the first team D since it was only three starters, but still they got picked apart. The others looked good though, Horton, Jackson, etc.

Special Teams: C or C-. Return game was pretty average, Brooks was good, Suisham was bad.

Coaching: A+. I can't really see any reason not to give them an A+, I had no complaints whatsoever, Zorn and company continue to impress me and get me excited for the season.

HRmmmm... zorn did a lot with backups why couldn't blatche?

Well, yeah, I guess you're right. I didnt like the Defense, so I guess that includes Blache. What I tried to say was that I give him the benefit of doubt, I'll wait to see what he can do with the starters.

I gave A+ to coaching just because of Zorn basically. He took absolute control of the team.

Probably has to do with the Colts offense being better than their defense. JMHO

The 'Skins defense was missing more playmakers than the offense. And yes, the Colts offense is better than their defense. AND, Sorgi has been in the system for a while, and been learning from the same cast of characters that tought Peyton, so he's probably picked up a thing or 2.

My rankings:

Offense: B+. I thought the line struggled at times. Too many sacks. TC didn't look sharp. The running game was good, and JC and CB and their receivers looked very good.

Defense: C. Average. They did some good, they did some bad. The didn't have half the starters. Shrug. We'll see. I'm not worried.

ST: C-. Kickoffs were good, punts were mostly good, missed a FG, coverage was ok. But a lot of the guys playing on teams won't be playing on teams.

Coaching Staff: A+. The team was ready to play, they kept the guys out who needed to be kept out, they won the game (secondary, but nothing bad every comes from winning) and they made good on field decisions. Zorn called a good game. I honestly give the defensive coaches a pass. Maybe I shouldn't, but it's pre-season game 1. Grading on a curve.

Let's grade the team, how they did on Offense, Defense, Special Teams and Coaching.

Offense: I'd give it an A-. It was really good! We didnt see much of the "first team", but what we saw was very effective, on rythm and everyone focused on doing their job. Todd did good too, he took the sacks instead of making dumb decisions. And Colt stole the night, totally dominated his own level of competition. On top of the QBs, add a good job by Rock and a better one by Mason.

Defense: Eh, I'd give it a B-. You just don't get thrown around like that by Jim Sorgi. But to be fair, we had no Fletcher, Landry or Jason Taylor but still, that was Jim bleeping Sorgi. 2nd and 3rd stringers did a decent job. Horton and Rob Jackson did very good.

Special Teams: C+. This is only my opinion, ok. To me there were only two bright spots on STs, one was the very first play of the game, the awareness of Horton to recover the onside kick, and the other one was the punt by Brooks downed on the 7 or so. Other than that, I think we need some work there. Suisham really blew it, btw.

Coaching: A+. Jim Zorn did an excellent job, IMO. playcalling, presence and authority on the sidelines and complete management of the game overall. Greg Blache couldnt do more without Fletcher, Landry and the rest of starters.

So, there you have it. Those are my rankings for the team. Feel free to insult me (whithin the rules, of course), but if you do bash me, at least back it up with your own rankings and explanations.;)

Well, lets see.

OFFENSE:A-. I agree except 1 point Cartwright stunk up the place. no J/K but he was really p***ing me off. Way too much dancing in the back field when he could have easily got 1-2 yards and a first down. If he did it just to waste some time off the clock ok, but if thats his way of trying to be like B. Sanders then we need to trade him.:rant:

DEFENSE: B- maybe C+. Agreed. ... 1 thought. Maybe they should have covered the guy at the bottom of the tv screen after the first 5x the Colts threw to him! I swear it seemed like the Colts did the same play 5-10x in a row and not once did we cover the 1 receiver they were throwing to.:doh:

SPECIAL TEAMS: D. I think you are right with a couple bright spots but just too many negatives. I was really hoping to see some major improvement from Suisum. But didn't. What stands out for me was a missed field goal with no pressure at all. I think it may have been a 30 something yard try. He shanked it. The 'skins really need someone they can count on to win games in that position, along with punting. Punting didn't seem as bad. Honestly, I don't think I saw ANY improvement from last year at S.T.

COACHING: B. Always room for improvement. Little pressure this game but Zorn really hasn't been tested yet. I'll wait for opening season game for some REAL pressure then see. Zorn as a coach/ Offensive playcaller / QB coach definetely has my respect, and as far as decision-making? I think he is spot -on, I wouldn't change a thing if it were me.

There's my review. I was a little harsh on S.T. but I evaluated THIS game. Some of the returners may not even wind up being "returners" so.... I guess take it for what its worth. I'm sure we with see some changes in the up coming games.

THANK God Football season is finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:gaintsuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck :bearsuck:

COACHING: B. Always room for improvement. Little pressure this game but Zorn really hasn't been tested yet. I'll wait for opening season game for some REAL pressure then see. Zorn as a coach/ Offensive playcaller / QB coach definetely has my respect, and as far as decision-making? I think he is spot -on, I wouldn't change a thing if it were me.

I agree there was no pressure in the form of Gameplay, but if we think about it..... 2 of the greatest Redskins of all time had just been inducted into the Hall of Fame, the place was packed with Redskins fans, it was the first "real" game of the season, it was on national primetime TV, and it was coach Zorn's first ever game as head coach. So I would say there was quite some pressure, even though like I said, not in the form of gameplay.

HRmmmm... zorn did a lot with backups why couldn't blatche?

When it was backups against backups they did a lot better. Yea the first string didn't have Peyton, but Sorgi isn't bad he's just definitely no Peyton Manning. So it was basically starting offense vs. 3 defensive starters and 8 backups.

man, am i the only one that thinks the offense deserves a soild "A"??? the execution seemed great on just about every level. there were some issues, but this is the first preseason game of a NEW offense. i am proud of our guys, and come week 1, that revamped giants D is gonna be worried.

When it was backups against backups they did a lot better. Yea the first string didn't have Peyton, but Sorgi isn't bad he's just definitely no Peyton Manning. So it was basically starting offense vs. 3 defensive starters and 8 backups.

Even though I know Blache didnt have all the toys and that's way I think he's excused for the poor performance, but that was not exactly the starting offense, no Wayne, Harrison, and no Peyton, Sorgi is just not as good as our defense made him look.

if the second and third stringers are able to effectively execute the game plan then the skins are going to be great on offence, it would have been good to see the whole first stringers on the field including CP.

The defence will get better when the first stringers get on the paddock

if the second and third stringers are able to effectively execute the game plan then the skins are going to be great on offence, it would have been good to see the whole first stringers on the field including CP.

The defence will get better when the first stringers get on the paddock

Speaking of CP, does anybody know if he's going to be playing any Saturday? My nephew's going to the game with me and he absolutely LOVES Portis(he even decided a few years ago that his new nickname is "Portis" haha). And for that matter, does anybody know about the rest of the starters? I'm assuming we're supposed to pretty much have our starting defense minus Rocky and Carlos but I don't know.

Archived