Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Sony may bite on Spidey spinoff

Toe Jam

Could a movie based on Spider-Man foe Venom be in the works?

With Heath Ledger's villainous Joker drawing attention and box office dollars, Sony is moving forward with "Venom," a potential "Spider-Man" spinoff based on a bad guy. The studio is developing the project, based on the gooey nemesis who appeared in 2007's "Spider-Man 3" and is hoping the character could serve as an antidote to the aging "Spider-Man" franchise just as Fox has used Wolverine to add longevity to its "X-Men" franchise.

But getting any spinoff off the ground, let alone one centered on a villain, can be tricky.

The studio had commissioned a draft of the script from Jacob Estes, a writer of the specialty film "Mean Creek," released several years ago by Paramount Classics. But the studio is considering going in a different direction from Estes' script and is seeking writers for a new draft. Casting also is no simple matter. Topher Grace of "That '70s Show" fame played the character in the film, but Sony is not yet convinced the actor can carry a big "tentpole" picture.

Neither Sony nor Marvel would comment for this story.

In "Spider-Man 3," Venom is essentially a parasite that attaches itself to a host via a sticky substance that then gives the host special powers. The fact that it is a substance rather than a character could give Sony leeway to cast a new actor.

"Venom" came about as part of the licensing deal between Marvel and Sony for the Spider-Man movies, which contained provisions allowing for the use of spinoffs based on other Spider-Man characters.

The project is part of a larger feeding frenzy for superhero projects, scores of which have been signed up in the last few months while movies such as "Iron Man" and "The Dark Knight" light up the box office.

Sony is developing a fourth "Spider-Man" film for 2011, but that picture would come out nine years after the original movie debuted, adding to the studio's desire to see new Marvel characters.

you know i loved spider man and spider man 2(spidey is my favorite comic character) but i hate tobey macguire as spider man. if they are really planning to do another spider man movie then i hope they wait and do a reboot with a new cast. i dont think that sam raimi is even wanting to do another one and if they go for a continuation then i think that they will royally **** the series over. like batman and robin ****ed.

now with venom i hope that they take a page from the dark knight and make it a dark movie. venom is a "hero" who has no problem with taking lives so they need to be able to express that and not have to worry about a pg rating. that and topher grace has got to go. when i heard he was venom in spider man 3 i wanted to vomit.

Well then Hollywood is focusing on the wrong thing. This doesn't have to do with how dark the movie is. Sure Batman is Darker than Spiderman. The difference is in the approach. Batman Begins and the Dark Knight are Crime Drama/Thrillers first and foremost, then comes the action part(with as little CGi as possible). Spiderman is action/cgi lovefest first and foremost.

Hmm, looking at the synopsis of Mean Creek, I may just have to backtrack on my comments. I'll have to watch the movie but it does seem like the correct direction.

As long as it's the new version of Venom where he jumps from host to host causing death and misery where ever he shows up and I'm game. I love the fact that the symbiote is badass smart now and possesses anything that lives to serve it's purposes. Eddie Brock was holding the symbiot down imo.

As long as it's the new version of Venom where he jumps from host to host causing death and misery where ever he shows up and I'm game. I love the fact that the symbiote is badass smart now and possesses anything that lives to serve it's purposes. Eddie Brock was holding the symbiot down imo.

Haven't read a spiderman comic in a while, thats what the symbiote does now? I've just been reading these japanese mangas and dont know whats going on in the Marvel universe. A Venom movie whould have to be dark and borderline rated R

Lots of problems with this.

First off Wolverine is one of the most popular Marvel Characters of all time. In no way can you equate the apeal of a Wolverine movie to Venum....

Second off, Spiderman is "aging"? Somebody should tell the Sony studio exects that Spiderman debuted in the early 1960's and has been going strong ever since. Spiderman has outsold likely any DC comic except one, many times over since it came out, including Batman. If Spiderman is "aging" it's because they are mishandling the scripts, not the material.

Lots of problems with this.

First off Wolverine is one of the most popular Marvel Characters of all time. In no way can you equate the apeal of a Wolverine movie to Venum....

Second off, Spiderman is "aging"? Somebody should tell the Sony studio exects that Spiderman debuted in the early 1960's and has been going strong ever since. Spiderman has outsold likely any DC comic except one, many times over since it came out, including Batman. If Spiderman is "aging" it's because they are mishandling the scripts, not the material.

I think its also worth noting that Wolverine was already a spin-off in the comic books...isn't that how X-factor started? Wolverine is easy to spin off...Venom, would be a tad harder I think. But if done right would be awesome.

After the rampaging success of The Dark Knight, comic book movies are about to start slipping down, down, down as the cycle turns. Within two years, with the next Batman sequel in production, it will be total fatigue city. Comic book movie productions will be getting cut faster than Paula Deen at a track and field tryout.

Why, you ask? Because comic book fans and the general public aren't the same thing. And the 98% of the audience who aren't comic book die-hards will be tired of the same basic sets of stories and new movies that don't live up to their predecessors.

First to go: spin-off ideas. Then: bread-and-butter projects. Finally: superstars like Batman. The third Batman movie in this incarnation will be the last one for a long time.

Those of you who couldn't figure that out on your own, heard it here first.

I don't forsee this as being successful. #3 sucked. venom isn't popular as a singular entity, but as a villian loved becuase of his spiderman assiciation.

Let's not cover the fact that hollywood(SONY) was what killed Spidey#3, so to lend them this, could be disasterous.

I say leave well enough alone, wait a few years and revisit spidey later to continue the story.

Haven't read a spiderman comic in a while, thats what the symbiote does now? I've just been reading these japanese mangas and dont know whats going on in the Marvel universe. A Venom movie whould have to be dark and borderline rated R

the symbiote feeds off of a certain kind of adrenaline that people with cancer have in their bodies. i dont know if they have changed that as the only comic i have been reading is the walking dead.

Archived