Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art's induction was more special due to the wait, IMO

Burgundy&Gold4Ever

Not that Art should have had to wait so many years to go into the HOF, but I think it was more special due to the wait. Just a guess, but I don't think the 4-minute ovation would have happened if he hadn't been snubbed and waited so long to be enshrined in the HOF. We certainly would have shown him our love, but I doubt it would have been such a lengthy outpouring of love. Not only were the Skins fans in attendance showing him how much we love him, but I think they also were saying "You may have had to wait a long time for this, but we knew all along that you deserved it much sooner." I still would rather take away the hurt that the waiting caused Art, but I'm grateful that we had that very special moment yesterday of the 4-minute ovation.

I'm curious what others think. Would the ovation have been so long if Art had gotten into the HOF years earlier?

I agree, although it was insulting to a man of Art's character, but a lesser man might have given in to bitterness. Art Monk stood at that podium last night as the waves of applause washed over him and you could see the battle on his face between his innate reserved and shy character not comfortable with being the center of attention and the recognition of the fans genuine love for him. In some ways the long very vocal battle by so many to see him gain his well deserved spot in the HoF validate him and his contributions more than a simple first round vote soon forgotten could have. It was so very fitting that his should be the final and culminating induction because in so many ways yesterday was HIS day.

I gotta say I think Arts speach was one of the best. I was glad he didn't shy away from mentioning the fact that he was forced to wait. I was thrilled he was treated so graciously by the fans in attendance. I was almost questioning my own fanhood for not being there! I was definately proud of Redskins Nation last night! GO SKINS!

It made me start to wonder, what's the world record for longest continued applause? If Art would (dare I say it) have been snubbed a couple more years before finally getting in, the applause would probably have continued for a good hour or so.

Art didn't really have to say anything in his speech at all, everyone already knew.

I was at the Nats game so I tivoed the induction. Darrell spoke so long that I didn't even get to see Art! It was really great to see Canton overrun with Burgundy & Gold though. Damn, I love the Redskins.

I was at the Nats game so I tivoed the induction. Darrell spoke so long that I didn't even get to see Art! It was really great to see Canton overrun with Burgundy & Gold though. Damn, I love the Redskins.

Gunnyhud posted this link where you can watch the induction speeches, post-induction interviews, and some other stuff. http://theunofficialredskinsblog.wordpress.com/ I haven't watched the link, so I don't know if it includes the 4-minute ovation for Art.

Archived