Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is John McCain Stupid?

Destino

Is John McCain losing it?

On Sunday, he said on national television that to solve Social Security "everything's on the table," which of course means raising payroll taxes. On July 7 in Denver he said: "Senator Obama will raise your taxes. I won't."

This isn't a flip-flop. It's a sex-change operation.

He got back to the subject Tuesday in Reno, Nev. Reporters asked about the Sunday tax comments. Mr. McCain replied, "The worst thing you could do is raise people's payroll taxes, my God!" Then he was asked about working with Democrats to fix Social Security, and he repeated, "everything has to be on the table." But how can . . .? Oh never mind.

Yesterday he was in Aurora, Colo., to wit: "On Social Security, he [sen. Obama] wants to raise Social Security taxes. I am opposed to raising taxes on Social Security. I want to fix the system without raising taxes."

What I'm asking is, does John McCain have the mental focus, the intellectual discipline, to avoid being out-slicked by Barack Obama, if he isn't abandoned by his own voters?

It's not just taxes. Recently the subject came up of Al Gore's assertion that the U.S. could get its energy solely from renewables in 10 years. Sen. McCain said: "If the vice president says it's doable, I believe it's doable." What!!?? In a later interview, Mr. McCain said he hadn't read "all the specifics" of the Gore plan and now, "I don't think it's doable without nuclear power." It just sounds loopy.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB121745962594698731.html

FYI - WSJ is not a liberal paper.

... and yes that's the headline of the article. :)

I actually recall hearing back in the 2000 race that his IQ is in the 140's. While short of genius they said that would make him the president with the highest IQ. However, that talk shows no intelligence, just that he is your average politician who will say whatever he needs to to get elected.

FYI - WSJ is not a liberal paper.

Are you sure about that? From Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist:

While the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal is conservative, the newspaper's news pages are liberal, even more liberal than The New York Times. The Drudge Report may have a right-wing reputation, but it leans left. Coverage by public television and radio is conservative compared to the rest of the mainstream media. Meanwhile, almost all major media outlets tilt to the left.

These are just a few of the surprising findings from a UCLA-led study, which is believed to be the first successful attempt at objectively quantifying bias in a range of media outlets and ranking them accordingly.

Emphasis mine. So, you're right that the part this opinion piece is from leans conservative, but the WSJ itself leans left, according to this study. :)

By the way, if you're going to claim innocence because it actually is the title, you should follow the full format and include the source in the title as well. ;)

Are you sure about that? From Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist:

Emphasis mine. So, you're right that the part this opinion piece is from leans conservative, but the WSJ itself leans left, according to this study. :)

Tim Groseclose's "study" was not very compelling, because his methodology was all borked. Garbage in - garbage out.

Think about it - the Drudge Report leans left? The Washington Times is the ONLY conservative leaning newspater in the county? Those were his conclusions. :laugh:

Tim Groseclose's "study" was not very compelling, because his methodology was all borked. Garbage in - garbage out.

Think about it - the Drudge Report leans left? The Washington Times is the ONLY conservative leaning newspater in the county? Those were his conclusions. :laugh:

It's from UCLA, so it must be true. :)

And yes, I am aware that there have been criticisms of his methodology (though none I have seen so eloquent as yours :silly: ). I'm just stirring the pot. :D

McCain is a very smart fellow. So is Obama, so is Hillary (well, not a fellow), so are almost every President we have ever had.

It is impossible to not ever misspeak pr backtrack when the cameras are on you 24/7. Our expectations are way too high for these people.

He did finish like 894 out of 899 in his graduating class in college.

NOTE: I DO like John McCain, and have been on the fence the past week about voting for him now.

But I did read that several places online - I'm assuming after researching that this is true. Someone else can feel free to prove me wrong. I will add that finishing that low at the Naval Academy is quite different from finishing that way from some bottom tier public school.

He did finish like 894 out of 899 in his graduating class in college.

NOTE: I DO like John McCain, and have been on the fence the past week about voting for him now.

But I did read that several places online - I'm assuming after researching that this is true. Someone else can feel free to prove me wrong. I will add that finishing that low at the Naval Academy is quite different from finishing that way from some bottom tier public school.

No, I'm sure that's right (or close enough). This is from a piece in the Post a few days ago...

But these two memoirists couldn't have more different stories to tell, and that's what should make the 2008 campaign so interesting. Where Obama describes a quest for an absent father and an African American identity, McCain's early story is about learning to accept the legacy of a famous family where both his father and grandfather were four-star admirals.

McCain was a wild man in his youth, drinking and chasing women like a renegade prince of Navy royalty. He is brutally frank in his description of this protracted adolescence, describing his years at the Naval Academy as "a four-year course of insubordination and rebellion."

McCain's burden, and ultimately his salvation, was the military code of honor that his forefathers embodied. He was from a family of professional warriors, as far back as he could trace his ancestors, and he says this gave him a "reckless confidence" and a sense of fatalism. But it also produced an unshakable bond with his fellow officers and enlisted men -- and to the nation they had pledged to serve. Leadership, the art of guiding men courageously in war, was the family business.

Emphasis mine.

Archived