Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wall Street Journal: Wal-Mart Warns of Democratic Win

heyholetsgogrant

Wal-Mart Warns of Democratic Win

By ANN ZIMMERMAN and KRIS MAHER

August 1, 2008; Page A1

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is mobilizing its store managers and department supervisors around the country to warn that if Democrats win power in November, they'll likely change federal law to make it easier for workers to unionize companies -- including Wal-Mart.

In recent weeks, thousands of Wal-Mart store managers and department heads have been summoned to mandatory meetings at which the retailer stresses the downside for workers if stores were to be unionized.

According to about a dozen Wal-Mart employees who attended such meetings in seven states, Wal-Mart executives claim that employees at unionized stores would have to pay hefty union dues while getting nothing in return, and may have to go on strike without compensation. Also, unionization could mean fewer jobs as labor costs rise.

[Chart]

The actions by Wal-Mart -- the nation's largest private employer -- reflect a growing concern among big business that a reinvigorated labor movement could reverse years of declining union membership. That could lead to higher payroll and health costs for companies already being hurt by rising fuel and commodities costs and the tough economic climate.

The Wal-Mart human-resources managers who run the meetings don't specifically tell attendees how to vote in November's election, but make it clear that voting for Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama would be tantamount to inviting unions in, according to Wal-Mart employees who attended gatherings in Maryland, Missouri and other states.

Author: By ANN ZIMMERMAN and KRIS MAHER

Source: Wall Street Journal

Full Article Click Here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121755649066303381.html

I thought Wal Mart wanted a Democrat victory... more specifically socialized medicine. Think what that will do for their bottom line to not have to pay out benefits.

Actually, wasn't there a story about the CEO of Wal Mart coming out for socialized medicine recently?

I thought Wal Mart wanted a Democrat victory... more specifically socialized medicine. Think what that will do for their bottom line to not have to pay out benefits.

Actually, wasn't there a story about the CEO of Wal Mart coming out for socialized medicine recently?

Of course they want it, they don't want to pay for it. They want to release everyone from their health care rolls and hand you paper on how to get gov health care.

-Grant

Yeah, the Wall Street Journal is being a little liberal with its headline ... this more about lobbying against a particular bill, the Employee Free Choice Act, than about Democratic vs. Republican candidates.

Interestingly, the Wal-Mart PAC has upped its contributions to Democrats recently, which probably just means that they expect Democrats to win and want to make sure they get a piece of the pie:

P1-AM442A_LABOR_20080731215224.gif

That's the difference between us. I'd like to think some spending would be cut.
Yup, because dagnabit the Repubs did such a good job with that when they controlled the Presidency and both houses of Congress:rolleyes:

Lol, good luck with that. I would like to think that too, but it's not going to happen.

Until we keep voting people out that say they are going to do that but don't. That's why Repubs got handed thier asses, they became democrats.

Yup, because dagnabit the Repubs did such a good job with that when they controlled the Presidency and both houses of Congress:rolleyes:

Again, that's why they got their asses handed to them. They just haven't figured out why yet

Until we keep voting people out that say they are going to do that but don't. That's why Repubs got handed thier asses, they became democrats.

Again, that's why they got their asses handed to them. They just haven't figured out why yet

As much as I would like to believe this narrative, it is simply not true, Sarge. The republicans got their asses handed to them because of the Iraq war and corruption. People love the rhetoric of small government, but not the reality of it. Even "small" government conservatives like you love big government.

Oh and John McCain is not a small government conservative, he is a neocon.

As much as I would like to believe this narrative, it is simply not true, Sarge. The republicans got their asses handed to them because of the Iraq war and corruption. People love the rhetoric of small government, but not the reality of it. Even "small" government conservatives like you love big government.

Oh and John McCain is not a small government conservative, he is a neocon.

I loathe big government... especially the federal government. it makes me sick. physically ill even.

john maccain has no redeeming qualities about him. none at all.

edit: just for the hell of it; I loathe wal-mart too.

Yeah, the Wall Street Journal is being a little liberal with its headline ... this more about lobbying against a particular bill, the Employee Free Choice Act, than about Democratic vs. Republican candidates.

Interestingly, the Wal-Mart PAC has upped its contributions to Democrats recently, which probably just means that they expect Democrats to win and want to make sure they get a piece of the pie:

I think most pacs are going to a more even distribution split... no matter who wins in November the Democrats will still have control of Congress and corporations have to contribute accordingly.

I loathe big government... especially the federal government. it makes me sick. physically ill even.

john maccain has no redeeming qualities about him. none at all.

edit: just for the hell of it; I loathe wal-mart too.

I hate to break it to you, but you are in the minority. People like a proactive, healthy, big, and centralized government.

I hate to break it to you, but you are in the minority. People like a proactive, healthy, big, and centralized government.
trust me I know that. :D It's not small government vs. big government people anymore; its whoever wins pushes new funding toward their pet projects

It pains me to see that my way of thinking is more along the lines of the majority of the founding fathers yet no one today seems to think the way I do... It's depressing that I'll never see any of things I want implemented in government in my lifetime :(

I'm curious how many of these mom and pop retailers that everyone whines about Wal Mart putting out of business paid out healthcare and stock options to their associates.

I'll tell ya... [dean wormer] zero. point. zero [/dean wormer]

Oh, and if anyone longs for the days of local hardware and mom and pop retail, come on down my way and I'll take you shopping.

First, we can go to the local True Value. It's really nice... if you're a rat. Better ask someone to show you where it is, because I guarantee you're not finding it on your own. But first, you have to wait for the owner to finish smoking his cigarette. Oh yah, and better not show up after 4:30 pm because it's closed. So really, you'll need to take a day off work to have the pleasure of doing business with them. Bring lots of cash... not credit card, (because min purchase is $10 on that) with you. Prices are akin to what you'd expect to pay in your average airport. :doh:

Next, we'll take you down to A+ Office Supplies. It's great. The staff there is all family, so they have no fear of getting fired. Want something done? Kiss their ass, because if your attitude doesn't please them you're ****ed. Oh, and plan on taking a day off work to visit them too... as they keep bankers hours.

Know what? Mom & Pop retail can go :censored: themselves. Yah, I said it. I'm glad we don't have to deal with them anymore, and customers have options like Staples, Wal Mart / Target, and Lowes.

So what are the current countries that enjoy a great deal of economic wealth and security with governments that are reactive, unhealthy, small, and decentralized?

Or great nations throughout world history if you can't think of any current gov'ts.

Have you seen it?

I'm not saying everything presented is the letter of the law. I'm also not stupid enough to believe every single word presented to me. As with 99.9% of documentaries, there is an agenda, and I kept that at the front of my mind when I watched it, but it still opens your eyes to quite a bit.

So what are the current countries that enjoy a great deal of economic wealth and security with governments that are reactive, unhealthy, small, and decentralized?

Or great nations throughout world history if you can't think of any current gov'ts.

I would favor some sort of combination of Hong Kong ( before the Chinese takeover) and Switzerland. I also like some of the things Ireland is doing.

Despite the rise of centralization in this country, we still have one of the most decentralized political economies in the world.

Archived