Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jehovah Don't Vote

Koolblue13

I had a visitor today from the local Jehovah Witness clan and when I asked her who the church is voting for, she told me they don't. They rely on God to lead them.

Well, I said that was super and all, but who asked her to cover the area my house specifically is in and she said the group leader.

I asked how they figure out the person and if it was necessary to have a specific person in charge of appointing people and she said yes.

Well, that is basically what the president does I told her and she reverted right back to God rules us.

So, why don't they vote? It just makes no sense to me. Although religion in general doesn't, I think we all know that about me.

She also didn't care for my argument about why life is better now than it ever has been and the end couldn't be near, just because America has lost it's morals since the WWII ended (Her point not mine).

If Rome was so bad and so corrupt, wouldn't that be the times when life was at it's worst since JC was around? That makes today just fine and not looking towards the end. Atleast I would think.

Dude they don't celebrate holidays or even birthdays for that matter.

So what does that have to do with anything I'm talking about.

I grew up with a couple kids who were JWs, so I know a fair amount about them. I just found this odd.

If her premise was the sky was falling because of America, wouldn't voting make a big difference. Especially with the numbers they have.

So, why don't they vote?

From Slate, Why Don't Jehovah's Witnesses Vote?

Serena Williams told reporters at Wimbledon on Wednesday that she's excited about Barack Obama's candidacy but won't vote for him because Jehovah's Witnesses "don't get involved in politics." Her sister Venus—who is also a Jehovah's Witness—wouldn't even comment on the presidential election. Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses vote?

Because of John 17:14 and other passages in the Bible. In that verse, Jesus says of his followers: "They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world." Jehovah's Witnesses have interpreted that statement as a call to remain neutral in all political matters. (In some of the sect's literature, members are described as "representatives of God's heavenly kingdom"; they are thus obligated to stay out of local political affairs in keeping with the behavior of ambassadors.) Witnesses also refrain from serving in the military, running for public office, and pledging allegiance to the flag.

Voting is not expressly prohibited, but it is discouraged. The Watchtower, the official publication of the Jehovah's Witnesses, ran an article in 1999 suggesting that the decision whether to vote was one of personal conscience, although it carefully laid out reasons for staying out of the voting booth. In reference to countries that require all citizens to show up at the ballot box, the Watchtower has explained that "[w]here Caesar makes it compulsory for citizens to vote … [Jehovah's Witnesses] can go to the polls and enter the voting booths," but the Watchtower did not specify what Witnesses should do with the ballot itself. According to some, the requirement for political neutrality led to the violent persecution of Witnesses in Malawi during the late 1960s and early 1970s, when adherents refused to register with the ruling Congress Party.

If her premise was the sky was falling because of America, wouldn't voting make a big difference.

Ah, but they aren't looking for that solution.

Like KB/CW and other end-times nutjobs (no disrespect intended) they are selling their product and their product only. "Book your ticket on the Rapture Express cause the Earth is ****ed".

Of course the Jehovah's Nuisances don't call it Rapture. They have a different name for their product.

But the claimed product benefits are the same. Like most door-to-door salesmen none of them are offering a warranty or money-back guarantee for their product, or even proof that it works. :)

Ah, but they aren't looking for that solution.

Like KB/CW and other end-times nutjobs (no disrespect intended) they are selling their product and their product only. "Book your ticket on the Rapture Express cause the Earth is ****ed".

Of course the Jehovah's Nuisances don't call it Rapture. They have a different name for their product.

But the claimed product benefits are the same. Like most door-to-door salesmen none of them are offering a warranty or money-back guarantee for their product, or even proof that it works. :)

About how I see it.

I think you can derive an answer from the polarizing effect which has occurred as a result of the political formation of the "religious right" in recent years. For non-Christians, I think the perceived political machinations of "evangelicals" has had an incredibly detrimental effect in their perception of Christians at large, and especially "evangelical Christians," and has really spoiled their ability to witness to many people.

This is not to say that I subscribe to anything else the JW's are saying, but I can certainly see where they are coming from on this issue.

Thanks TB, still doesn't make any sense to me, but nor do plenty of other things.

It just seems like when your entire argument is based on America falling down, you may want to have a say in who is dropping anchor.

If she was arguing that things are bad because of changes in American society, then she needs to go back and either actually read the Bible or discuss it with her Elders. Witnesses believe that things are coming to a head because of changes in all societies (not just America), along with their own interpretation of the Bible.

Also, Witnesses do not believe that any human government can "fix" the problems, since in their beliefs, human governments are part of the problem.

As far as Witnesses not being able to have fun, trust me, having attended parties where everyone was devout Southern Baptist, and parties that were given by Witnesses....I will take the Witness party - at least they can dance and have some wine :)

If she was arguing that things are bad because of changes in American society, then she needs to go back and either actually read the Bible or discuss it with her Elders. Witnesses believe that things are coming to a head because of changes in all societies (not just America), along with their own interpretation of the Bible.

Also, Witnesses do not believe that any human government can "fix" the problems, since in their beliefs, human governments are part of the problem.

As far as Witnesses not being able to have fun, trust me, having attended parties where everyone was devout Southern Baptist, and parties that were given by Witnesses....I will take the Witness party - at least they can dance and have some wine :)

Good take on things, thanks.

I know about having fun with Jehovahs myself BTW.

Good take on things, thanks.

I know about having fun with Jehovahs myself BTW.

I am an ex-Witness, and while I have grown to disagree with many of their beliefs over the past 10 years (along with Christianity in general), I still have alot of respect for them as individuals.

The actual explanation of their beliefs as far as voting, etc. is a more complex than what I wrote, and is tied to other aspects of their beliefs. Personally, I understand the reasons, just do not necessarily agree with them like I used to. Besides, I am too much of a poltics fan to not take part :)

So what does that have to do with anything I'm talking about.

I grew up with a couple kids who were JWs, so I know a fair amount about them. I just found this odd.

If her premise was the sky was falling because of America, wouldn't voting make a big difference. Especially with the numbers they have.

Do they really have numbers?

As in there are a lot of them.

As of 2007, around 6.9 million active members worldwide *per the organization*. I am not sure of the breakdown of the number of members by country, though I know the U.S. and Mexico have the highest numbers.

I am an ex-Witness, and while I have grown to disagree with many of their beliefs over the past 10 years (along with Christianity in general), I still have alot of respect for them as individuals.

The actual explanation of their beliefs as far as voting, etc. is a more complex than what I wrote, and is tied to other aspects of their beliefs. Personally, I understand the reasons, just do not necessarily agree with them like I used to. Besides, I am too much of a poltics fan to not take part :)

As a former Witness myself, I'm right there with you.

Most of you only know JWs from the visits you get at your door. Which is the worst possible way to get to know them.

If you ever get the chance to get to know some of them when they are not "Witnessing", you will be impressed with their honesty, loyalty to God, and in general their attitudes towards work and life.

I've known my fair share of what I like to call "Extreme Witnesses", but most of them are very well balanced, hardworking, caring and loving people who don't want to do anything but help people in the best way they know how - by telling them about God, his Son, and his promises for his "faithful" people.

The problem is that most of them are very bad at "Witnessing" (at least in my experience), and even though they do get some training in how to do it, the training comes from people who are also bad at it, so its just not a good situation. Plus, most of them only do it a few hours a week, so they don't get much practice at it.

Like Adam, I don't agree much anymore with a lot of the Witnesses dogma (or any religous dogma), but they are good people trying to do a difficult job in a world where nobody wants to listen anyway. Show them some respect.

This thread reminds of me of a discussion I had recently with my uncle. He retired two years ago and spends most of his days at home when he isn't doing carpentry work for gift shops. In the past two years he gets frequent visits from Jehovahs. He recently told two young women that they needed to vote and they left. The Jehovahs haven't gone to his house since then. When I was in high school I had three Jehovah friends. One of them grew up in a really strict household and her and her siblings were only allowed to watch family tv shows and G rated movies. She also wasn't allowed to go to school dances and her parents didn't even let her go to the prom. I also knew twin brothers but their parents were less strict. They celebrated birthdays but not holidays and the twins were allowed to go dances and watch anything they wanted on TV or movies. Most religions are complicated in the world and people don't always follow them completely.

Archived