Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HD DVR question: Please help...

flexxskins

I bought a HD DVR from DIRECTV a couple of years ago and I love the thing.

The thing that I love doing with it the most is recording Redskins games in HD. It comes out absolutely beautiful.

However, my dilemma is that, not only does the darn thing only record ten games (memory capacity thing I guess) but, there also does'nt seem to be a way of transferring the recordings to a DVD or anything else and have it remain in HD.

The 07 season will always be a special season to me for obvious reasons and I would like to preserve it in HD if possible.

Any suggestions?

And thanks for any help that you might be able to give.

I have the latest HD DVR from DTV and I record many things in HD. However I put them on DVD by recording them from my DVR to my Recordable DVD recorder/player.

I would assume that if you recorded them in HD that they will transfer in HD assuming the DVD recorder is HD also. Or at least upconverted.

If that is true than that is the easiest way.

I have the latest HD DVR from DTV and I record many things in HD. However I put them on DVD by recording them from my DVR to my Recordable DVD recorder/player.

I would assume that if you recorded them in HD that they will transfer in HD assuming the DVD recorder is HD also. Or at least upconverted.

If that is true than that is the easiest way.

Nope. There are no DVD recorders that record in HD at the moment.

Not true.

Any DVD can record and hold HD. THe problem is the average DVD can only hold about 30 mins of High Def shows.

Exactly. DVDs don't have the space to record a full-length program or feature movie at HD quality. That's why Blu-Ray and HD-DVD came along.

On a side note, Hauppage is a good company. I have one of their TV Tuner cards, and the image quality is great. Only problem is I can't get it to play nice with the motherboard in my HTPC.

Not true.

Any DVD can record and hold HD. THe problem is the average DVD can only hold about 30 mins of High Def shows.

The poster was referring to consumer stand alone DVD recorders which none have component HD input at the moment not computer drives.

Using a computer to burn HD onto to a standard DVD-R is possible. But, you have to have a way to record the HD content. At the moment, the only option is the Hauppage unit listed in the thread if you want to record Directv HD content.

As far as recording time, using the H.264 compression the Hauppage unit uses, you can store close to 2 hours of HD video on a standard 4.7 gig DVD-R. That disc will play in HD on most Blu Ray players including the PS3.

Archived