Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo! Sports - Titans release WR Mike Williams

L30L

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—The Tennessee Titans released wide receiver Mike Williams before Thursday afternoon’s practice.

The Titans signed Williams, the 10th overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft by the Detroit Lions, last Thanksgiving and told him after the season to get his weight and conditioning under control.

Williams weighed around 270 pounds when he signed with Tennessee and lost more than 30 pounds this offseason in an effort to salvage his career.

But conditioning, weight and endurance remained issues for the former University of Southern California star, who had unsuccessfully petitioned the NFL for early entrance into the 2004 draft.

Williams spent two seasons with the Lions, catching 29 passes for 350 yards and a touchdown. He was traded to Oakland during the 2007 draft, but the Raiders released him in October after he dropped a key fourth-down pass against the Titans in a 13-9 loss.

Meanwhile, the Titans signed former Wake Forest and New York Jets receiver Chris Davis.

Tennessee also signed kicker Jon Vaughn, who was in camp with the club last year, to fill in for Rob Bironas after he strained his groin Monday. Guard Eric Scott was waived to make room.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlAiwMw_gsV8XyCWl_S6YcVDubYF?slug=ap-titans-williams&prov=ap&type=lgns

Me during the 05 draft : Draft Williams over Rogers!

:silly:

270 pounds:yikes: He might as well become a tight end, or better yet he is only 20 pounds away from being an O-lineman. Way to waste an NFL career. The two guys that petitioned the NFL and were out of football a year before they went to the NFL, Clarett who is still in jail I think and now Williams who cant catch on with any team. I assume he made alot of money being a #10 pick.

I will admit as well that I wanted us to take Williams in that draft.:doh:

:laugh: I wanted Carlos all along. Either him or Antrel Rolle. I didn't like the idea of drafting Pac-Man either. I would have been happy with Ware or Merriman though, or an actual DE though it doesn't look like any of them have done much (hoping for James!).

Either way, yeh, waste of talent, but oh well. Gotta feel bad for the Lions, 3 WR's in a row, only one worked out, 4 WR's in 5 years...:doh: That's a recipe for disaster when you expect first rounders to be starters from day one ideally.

man, i cant believe his weight got that high. its sad when you have guys sweating blood trying to get the opportunity he's had, and look what he does with it.

I thought the same thing! that is insane how out of shape he must have been.... he lost 30lbs and WAS STILL out of shape..... haha, WOW.

I bet all the fans at camp were like "HOLY ****! Who is the new DT."

3 years for a top 10 pick to get cut by his second team?

Thats really sad.

Third Team. Don't forget, he was traded to the Raiders from the Lions before being released, then latching onto the Titans. :laugh:

Just terrible if he at least did his job and stayed in shape he would still be with the lions and making that top ten rookie money. I think it is good the NFL has that 3 yr wait to come in because physically these kids aren't ready for the grueling NFL look at thomas and Kelly they both our out with hamstring injuries and they've been playing football for years.

Detroit- Stike One

Oakland- Strike Two

Tennessee- Strike Three

You're out! Actually if he would just give up the crazy idea of being a WR and switch to TE, he may have some value on someone's team, but as long as he continues to want to play WR at 270lbs, it isn't going to happen.

I find it hard to believe this guy can't even catch on as a reserve/backup player. Is it really that hard for him to lose weight and stay in shape? I don't understand how a player that needs to be around 230 to do his job could ever think its okay to weigh 270 at any point of the year.

There must be something going on in this kid's head we don't know about, he couldn't possibly be THIS stupid.

I really struck out of that draft class too. I wanted Mike Williams, Pacman, or Merriman. Looking back I'm glad we took Carlos.

Archived