Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAToday: FDA finds salmonella strain on Mexican pepper farm

Sarge

Imagine my shock :rolleyes:

Here's a concept. Maybe we could get our own people to grow food, instead of depending on Turd world hellholes whose field hands **** in the field

Viva la NAFTA!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-07-30-salmonella-mexico_N.htm

The Food and Drug Administration came closer Wednesday to cracking the mystery of a massive salmonella outbreak with a finding of contaminated serrano peppers and irrigation water on a farm in Mexico.

The FDA said consumers should avoid fresh serrano peppers from Mexico and products containing them. It also reiterated its earlier warning that consumers avoid fresh jalapeno peppers from Mexico.

IN-DEPTH: Health officials use props, patience to track salmonella

The new findings lend weight to the FDA's theory that several foods may be causing the outbreak, which has sickened more than 1,300 people nationwide since April. They also are the case's first positive samples of the rare salmonella saintpaul strain found in Mexico, a major chile pepper supplier to the USA.

Serrano peppers, which start green but ripen red, brown, orange and yellow, are five times hotter than jalapenos. Both are often used in salsas.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Texas | Mexico | Food and Drug Administration | Prevention | Centers for Disease Control | David Acheson

Last week, the FDA found salmonella matching the outbreak strain in jalapeno peppers in a Texas distribution center. Those peppers came from a different farm in Mexico than the one where salmonella was found in the water, said David Acheson, the FDA's food-safety chief, during a congressional hearing. Both farms also used multiple distributors for their products, he said.

In early June, tomatoes were considered the likely cause of the outbreak, and the FDA warned consumers not to eat certain varieties. The probe's focus shifted to jalapenos in mid-July.

The FDA on July 17 said all tomatoes were again safe to eat. But it also maintains that tomatoes may have caused some of the illnesses.

The farm identified Wednesday grows serrano and jalapeno peppers. The other farm linked to the outbreak also grew tomatoes, Acheson said. Produce from both farms went through the same distribution centers and cross contamination could have occurred, he added.

The Mexican government said it had suspended exports of produce by the company suspected of being the "potential origin" of the outbreak while Mexican and U.S. investigators continue working to pinpoint the source.

Acheson called the saintpaul finding in Mexico a "key breakthrough" in the case.

"We have a smoking gun, it appears," agreed Lonnie King, a director for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The FDA last week also said domestic jalapeno and serrano peppers are safe to eat.

I fully agree with you Sarge, we SHOULD depend on our own farmers to grow our crops but unfortunately we dont have the proper climates or land in that climate to grow enough to keep up with the demand.

I personally would like to have my own garden when I eventually own a house and grow a lot of my own food.

I always thought a good rinse under the sink is good enough, I guess we need to boil our veggies if they are from Mexico.

I guess.

I have a large garden and by local if possible.

I wonder where those quick meals people eat get their veggies?

What about the tomatoes in the sauce we buy.

I changed a whole lot of habits after the Chinese tried killing all of our dogs.

I guess.

I have a large garden and by local if possible.

I wonder where those quick meals people eat get their veggies?

What about the tomatoes in the sauce we buy.

I changed a whole lot of habits after the Chinese tried killing all of our dogs.

No doubt, buying local and organic is the best way to go. When more people start to purchase organic veggies the cost will come down.

Good question on the sauces, teh pasta sauces probably come from Italy. ;)

Imagine my shock :rolleyes:

Here's a concept. Maybe we could get our own people to grow food, instead of depending on Turd world hellholes whose field hands **** in the field

Viva la NAFTA!

IIRC the last salmonella outbreak from a few years back was Spinach from California. So there goes your idea :)

IIRC the last salmonella outbreak from a few years back was Spinach from California. So there goes your idea :)

And who works the fields there? People from the Turd World. You NEVER used to hear of this crap in American before NAFTA

You also had an economy about 1/3 the size

Trade is a good thing. We gotta kill these subsidies first

Great idea. Let's let the American farmer go out of business. Then we can buy ALL of our food from Mexico

And who works the fields there? People from the Turd World. You NEVER used to hear of this crap in American before NAFTA

Getting pretty close to the racism line there sarge.... but that's just the opinion of a legal immigrant from the "turd world" as you call it. Interestingly enough I never knew my people just crapped where ever they happened to be standing. I should ask my dad why he never shared this with me.

These guys were in front of the House Subcommittee on Horticulture and Organic Agriculture. I was watching while working out on the treadmill. I have to quibble with the USA Today article as I don't think they mention this came out in testimony before Congress. Just the way they put it like "CDC says" and "the FDA says" is lame reporting. At least mention where the source of the article is, a congressional hearing!

The hearing was interesting, but I'm not worried too much as to me it sounds like there is good control. Once there is an outbreak FDA is able to run some type of trace-back... although it takes awhile. There was great concern regarding the lost tomato crop and Congress was beating up on FDA as to why tomatoes were blamed.

Focus of the meeting turned to ways to prevent this type of outbreak, as in some cases it was harder to track where the bad food was coming from, one of the problems was that they were bought from small Mexican farms and not used in big American fast food chains... so this hindered efforts to track as it had to be done by hand.

Honestly I'm not all that concerned we have a food safety problem. There was some concern that states are held to higher standards than foreign countries and might not receive the same imports... in fact that was probably the main takaway for many of Congress... but I felt "meh, we do our best, and it can't catch everything so I need to be prepared in how I prepare my vegetables...".

Archived