Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Charles Krauthammer Equates Obama's Berlin Speech To Hitler's Nazi Rallies

JMS

I think it's safe to say the kid gloves are coming off.

Krauthammer Links Obama’s Berlin Speech To Hitler’s Nazi Rallies»

Last night on Fox News’ Special Report, host Brit Hume asked the “All-Star Panel” for “help” in determining whether or not Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) got “a bounce” in the polls as a result of his recent trip to the Middle East and Europe.

Referring to Obama’s Berlin speech that was reportedly in front of more than 200,000 people, neo-conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer said he did not get a bounce because apparently, Americans don’t like it when politicians emulate Adolf Hitler at a Nazi rally:

HUME: Panel, help. Did [Obama] get a bounce from the trip or not? […]

KRAUTHAMMER: I’m not sure — I don’t think he got a bounce. I’m not sure it was his intention.
You don’t get a bounce out of standing in front of 200,000 Germans at a rally who are chanting your name. Bad vibes sometimes, historically

Some other members of the panel chuckled at Krauthammer’s distasteful analogy. But unfortunately, he isn’t the first right-wing media figure to link Obama to Hitler and the Nazis. Referring to Obama’s decision to deliver his speech accepting the Democratic presidential nomination at Denver’s Invesco Field, Ben Stein proclaimed: “Seventy-five-thousand people at an outdoor sports palace, well, that’s something the Fuehrer would have done.”

Last February, National Review contributing editor Jonah Goldberg said, “You know, when Barack Obama campaigns, he’s basically saying, ‘I’m a silver bullet. I’m going to solve all your problems just by electing me.’ FDR, Hitler, all these guys, they basically said, ‘All your problems can be solved.’”

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/07/29/krauthammer-obama-nazis/

Nah they're just upset that only 50,000 were chanting the name & cheering a certain President when he spoke about tearing down a wall while in Germany. :doh:

Not sure what point you were trying to make to me with that post. Could you elaborate?

I think this election has serious potential to be the biggest mud fight in history. The Republicans have excelled at character assasignation in recent elections; and I think with the latest cannon fire Obama has been hit with.. It shows they're going to be very tough on him in coming weeks.....

John McCain recently said, " Obama would loose a war to win an election". About the harshest thing a candidate has said in the modern era.

Now we have Right wing pundants putting forward talking points equating Obama with Hitler.

Kerry might have gotten off easy when he got swift boated compared to what's in store for Obama.

Not sure what point you were trying to make to me with that post. Could you elaborate?

Simple the Neo-Cons and many talking heads at FOX News, in their zeal to compare the Obama Speech in Germany to Hitler, have forgotten one fact...in 1987 President Reagan recieved a lot of fanfare, cheering crowds, and crowds chanting his name when he made his speech in Germany.

So it's okay for Obama's speech to be compared to a Hitler rally...but I feel it's only fair that if the neo-cons and FOX News are going to compare Obama's speech to Hitler then let's not forget Reagan when he did it 21 years earlier. (IMO)

PSA: You should never invoke Hitler/Mao/Stalin in any conversation you wish to go farther than that sentence.

The 50k reference had to be to Reagan on the "Mr. Gorbi Pull down that wall"

I figured the Reagan part but I couldn't tell if the gag face was aimed at my post or the Nazi reference.

Regardless, Reagan wasn't a neo-con as far as I know.

Sounds like he was trying to make a joke and people are jumping on anything said about Obama these days. If anyone should be insulted by that comment, it would be the Germans.

Not that I care if Germans are insulted. :)

(See? Joke.)

I figured the Reagan part but I couldn't tell if the gag face was aimed at my post or the Nazi reference.

Regardless, Reagan wasn't a neo-con as far as I know.

No no it wasn't aimed at you not at all...sorry if you got the feeling.

I don't think Reagan was a neo-con either...however the neo-cons hold him very high regard.

Simple the Neo-Cons and many talking heads at FOX News, in their zeal to compare the Obama Speech in Germany to Hitler, have forgotten one fact...in 1987 President Reagan recieved a lot of fanfare, cheering crowds, and crowds chanting his name when he made his speech in Germany.

So it's okay for Obama's speech to be compared to a Hitler rally...but I feel it's only fair that if the neo-cons and FOX News are going to compare Obama's speech to Hitler then let's not forget Reagan when he did it 21 years earlier. (IMO)

Let's not forget that Reagan laid a wreith at the monument for German war dead of WWII which contained SS officers names/graves. Which was deeply offensive to many in this country and the act was very controversial at the time.

I think the Pro Nazi symbolizm did in fact come up against Reagan too, to be fair. And to be fair it was equally as baseless.

Let's not forget that Reagan laid a wreith at the monument for German war dead of WWII which contained SS officers names/graves. Which was deeply offensive to many in this country and the act was very controversial at the time.

I think the Pro Nazi symbolizm did in fact come up against Reagan too, to be fair. And to be fair it was equally as baseless.

Point to you and I agree with you...there is only one slight difference...in 1987 there weren't nearly as many 24 hour news channels or the internet to keep hammering the point home....baseless or not :2cents:

Sounds like he was trying to make a joke and people are jumping on anything said about Obama these days. If anyone should be insulted by that comment, it would be the Germans.

Not that I care if Germans are insulted. :)

(See? Joke.)

Yeah Jews often Joke around with people in the media by calling them Hitler, or Hitler like, or reminicent of Hitler.

Charles Krauthammer regularly throws out those humerous Nazi barbs on national TV news round tables about folks in general...

I'm sure folks are still chuckling about this all over the country....

Harmless right?

I think this election has serious potential to be the biggest mud fight in history. The Republicans have excelled at character assasignation in recent elections; and I think with the latest cannon fire Obama has been hit with.. It shows they're going to be very tough on him in coming weeks.....

John McCain recently said, " Obama would loose a war to win an election". About the harshest thing a candidate has said in the modern era.

Now we have Right wing pundants putting forward talking points equating Obama with Hitler.

Kerry might have gotten off easy when he got swift boated compared to what's in store for Obama.

Research election history from the early 1800's.

Now that was an era of some serious mudslinging and yellow journalism.:2cents:

I don't think this tactic will work.

There is no way to connect Obama to an fascist platform. It ends up being comical.

I guess the moral of the story is you can make fun of the Germans. If this were another country, people would be up in arms.

Point to you and I agree with you...there is only one slight difference...in 1987 there weren't nearly as many 24 hour news channels or the internet to keep hammering the point home....baseless or not :2cents:

Well I think Reagan visit to the German cemitary was a story which dominated the headlines for several weeks. It was discussed on all of the network news shows. It had some legs because Reagan announced his intentions before he did it, which sparked protests. Then there was discussion about a compromise. Then when Reagan actually did it, the story had been in the news for weeks.

It was a pretty gutsy move on Reagan's part at the time, because most Americans viewed the act unfavorable. Reagan was a popular president however and believed the act would go a ways down the road of healing both countries who still klung to WWII issues at the time.

As for the Obama case, I think Chucky Krauthammer is the only guy spouting this diatribe, and I don't think many others have followed up on it. If we are still talking about this in a week; then it would Equate to Reagan's visit....

I personally think the Republicans are coming at Obama on many fronts. Throwing as much mud against the wall and seeing if anything will stick. I don't think the Nazi label has any adhesive based on his Berlin trip. The election is 100 days away, there is a lot of mud to be flung.

I don't think this tactic will work.

There is no way to connect Obama to an fascist platform. It ends up being comical.

I guess the moral of the story is you can make fun of the Germans. If this were another country, people would be up in arms.

You see, this quote wasn't aimed at you. Chucky Krauthammer was playing the Nazi card for the benifit of the Jewish community which

(1) typically votes in block Democrate.

(2) Is very very concerned with Nazi's, and is hypersensitive to all things pertaining to Nazi's.

(3) Already has sereous doubts about voting for a guy with a muslim sounding name.

That's the community which was supposed to Hear Chucky's analogy. And the importance of that community to the Democrats is why Republicans will be feeding us a steady diet of these off handed comparisons against Obama and Nazi's for the next three months.

I think this election has serious potential to be the biggest mud fight in history.

That's a pretty tall order...

Start with Jefferson v. Adams in 1800 (the first party-based election), in which one of Jefferson's surrogates said about Adams that he possed a "...hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman".

Quote found on page 537 of this book

Some of Adams' Federalist buddies shot back with: "Are you prepared to see your dwellings in flames… female chastity violated… children writhing on the pike? GREAT GOD OF COMPASSION AND JUSTICE, SHIELD MY COUNTRY FROM DESTRUCTION.”

Quote can be found on page 5 of this book

They're going to have to work pretty hard to top those. :laugh:

Not as bad as

I think we all need to try to keep some perspective, and fight against the natural tendency to blow things out of proportion, especially in the era of 24 hour news cycles.

Archived